Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelton Benjamin's Mama (sigh)

• 12-12-2005 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Just when things were starting to look up for Shelton Benjami with a possible heel turn in the works, WWE's creative team seem to have made a balls of it. Check this news out from PWInsider:

"WWE has put out a casting call yesterday through casting websites looking for a character to play, as they put it, "SHELTON BENJAMIN'S MAMA / Co-Star / Female / African Am / 50-60 Shelton Benjamin's Mama - 50's, Black, heavy set, good personality, willing to travel." They say that the character will be used three to six months, with pay "to be determined". They noted that "This woman will travel all over the country/world to perform for the "Raw" shows."

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=14880&p=1

His Mama? Dear oh dear...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Meh, I cant see how this can necessarily be automatically be seen as a bad thing. We all know that Sheltons mic work, and 'charisma' aint great, so a mouth piece could work very well for him.

I also dont see how this will affect his possible heel turn. The way i see it, this will aide is rather that detract. It could make him look a right little shít, running to mama when things dont go right, and make him out to be a whingy, whiney little prat who everyone hates. Admittedly, I would do the opposite, make him a supremely arrogant heel, but maybe thats why im not a writer, and in all likelihood, never will be. Not to mention the arrogant jerk heel has been done.

All that being said, if it means more Benjamin in the ring, doing 5 star matches, I couldnt really give a toss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

gimmick wrote:
    Meh, I cant see how this can necessarily be automatically be seen as a bad thing. We all know that Sheltons mic work, and 'charisma' aint great, so a mouth piece could work very well for him.

I also dont see how this will affect his possible heel turn. The way i see it, this will aide is rather that detract. It could make him look a right little shít, running to mama when things dont go right, and make him out to be a whingy, whiney little prat who everyone hates. Admittedly, I would do the opposite, make him a supremely arrogant heel, but maybe thats why im not a writer, and in all likelihood, never will be. Not to mention the arrogant jerk heel has been done.

All that being said, if it means more Benjamin in the ring, doing 5 star matches, I couldnt really give a toss.

I think it smacks of lacklustre writing.

Shelton = Black
    Black women = shown as loud on tv

Therefore...introduce Shelton's Mama!

I see this hindering Benjamins character. He has had some A+ matches but if he's depicted as some sort of sitcom character it will only hurt him.

I think he should be used as an arrogant heel.

The humour in WWE has been woeful lately in my oppinion. For example, the recent Orton segments, the Bischoff trial, Vince trying to act cool (saying "nigga" at Survivor Series, WTF?) and so on...

I bet this flops. I'll eat humble pie if I'm wrong but I don't think I will be...

PS Imagine if Helen Hart was placed with Bret Hart when he struggled with mic skills early in his career...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think he should be used as an arrogant heel.

How??? And how would this not be some rehashed storyline which people would moan about anyway. The arrogant heel is being done and done again. Look at the current rosters, look at the heels and look at how many opf them play an arrogant SOB in one way or another - Carlito, Sylvan, Conway, Orton - all arrogant.

At least with this crap its original.
    see this hindering Benjamins character

If this gets him more air time (something he has been lacking big time in recent months), and it gets him a tad of momentum it cant be a bad thing.
    PS Imagine if Helen Hart was placed with Bret Hart when he struggled with mic skills early in his career...

Different eras. Mic skills werent as big a necessity in the early 90s as they became toward the late 90s to present day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

gimmick wrote:
    How??? And how would this not be some rehashed storyline which people would moan about anyway. The arrogant heel is being done and done again. Look at the current rosters, look at the heels and look at how many opf them play an arrogant SOB in one way or another - Carlito, Sylvan, Conway, Orton - all arrogant.

The guy comes across as cocky in general, don't you think? What happened with those vignettes they aired about 'Call me Mr. Benjamin'? Why not introduce him as a suit wearing, cocky guy who doesn't give a damn about anyone. He even has the perfect catchphrase -'It's all about the Benjamins'. I'd prefer that to this Ricki Lake crap.
    gimmick wrote:
    If this gets him more air time (something he has been lacking big time in recent months), and it gets him a tad of momentum it cant be a bad thing.

I want him to get air time as well but look at it this way, if it flops (and I think you'll agree it's possible) then he could be held down for alot longer...
    gimmick wrote:
    Different eras. Mic skills werent as big a necessity in the early 90s as they became toward the late 90s to present day.

But the point stands. If Bret had not been allowed express himself he wouldn't have gotten as good on the mic as he did later and perhaps wouldn't have been as big a star. The same goes for Benoit who admittedly isn't great but at least he can conduct himself well.

I'm not objecting to Benjamin having a manger but come on. His Mama? His Mama?! I can just see the scenes:

Kurt Angle: Tonight I'm making you tap Shelton

Shelton: Oh yeah?

Kurt Angle: Yeah.

Mama: Wha did you say? How dare you insult my baby Shelton!

Shelton: Knock it off Mama!

God help us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Moogle

They have already done the angry african american woman defending her man (or this case son). I'm talking about Sharmell and Booker T. That whole angry bossy wife works as you'd believe there's a ring of truth in it and Sharmell is such a good heel and has great mic skills. That and giving Booker T a great opponent who he can show his skills against has boosted his career.

That's what Benjamin needs. A legitimate heel manager (Bobby Heenan, Paul Heyman or another famous manager or ex-wrestler) and a heel change so he can develop his mic skills. Did WWE not see what putting Ric Flair with Randy Orton did?(Pity it didn't help Batista) His skills have increased greatly.

I just hope this stupid idea doesn't kill his career. I might actually like him if they did the whole heel manager e.g. the WWE was holdin' me back so I got someone to look after my interests...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

Yeah, and so was the necrophelia angle in 2002. Thus, original is does not always mean good by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The word is that him and his mama will be parodying a famous Campbell Soup ad in America which had an NFL player and his mama, and apparently they're going to make fun of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

If this is anything like the WCW angle when they brought in Buff Bagwell's mother, it will be cringe TV.
    Or worst still, something like the storyline with Torrie Wilson's Dad.

All in all, bringing your parents to the ring is a mistake, look at the Ortons, Hall of Fame or not, "Ace" Bob is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

He even has the perfect catchphrase -'It's all about the Benjamins'.

LOL:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

What the need to do is have him in a "Superkick wins" match against the Showstoppa.

That would be great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement