Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stink of Cat Pee!

• 12-12-2005 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope you can help with this household problem. Our cat, who is normally such a good boy(!), pee'd on the carpet in our study. The stink is absolutely horrendous and it's been like that for days despite endless scrubbing with Vanish Oxi Action and spraying of Febreeze! (Not trying to advertise here!) Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of the smell?! Apart from it being horrible its also quite embarassing when visitors come round!

LG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

go to your pet shop - they sell cleaner specifically for that sort of thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Is he returning to pee there again, by any chance? This kind of peeing can sometimes happen when a cat is agitated - a new cat or dog comes in, the family dynamics change, the painters arrive, whatever.

One thing that normally gets rid of the smell of animal emissions of any sort is *biological* detergent. Wash well, while wearing rubber gloves.

I'm a nasty heartless person so I tend to scatter some cayenne around the area (but then my rugs are red) afterwards to discourage any return - and watch like a hawk and be ready to remove the cat if he starts looking as if he's going to pee there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ramon

After washing with biological detergent (or a proprietary brand such as "Urine Off") a few drops of Citronella (essential) oil is a good way to stop a re-enactment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Don't let it into the house. This is why so many people hat cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

That's less than helpful.

Biological washing powder will remove the worst of it, then follow it up with a treatment of Odogene (or other enzyme cleaner from petshop). If possible block off this area to the cat to prevent a repeat performance before the area has been fully cleaned.

Do make sure to keep a close eye on the cat as toileting outside the litter box is their way of telling you that something is wrong. If it happens again have him checked out by your vet to rule out urinary infections. Have you made any changes to his litter box? New litter, new location, did you forget to clean it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Hi guys,
    I'm Little Goose's fiancé. This is only an isolated incident for Beenz. We keep him indoors, pretty much as an indoor cat. I work from home, and I do let him outside almost everyday, and leave a windo open for him to return into when he's ready. We do the poop'n'scoop with his litter tray every couple of days to remove the solid waste, and as much of the bad stuff underneath as possible. He is also neutered.

We're pretty sure it won't happen again. We've never even seen him inkling towards peeing or spraying, and he gets lots of attention too! He is quite the character!

Still, we'll look into those options guys. Any more suggestions, let us know!

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

He is a cutie. Sometimes these things are isolated incidents and you'll never know what it was, oh to be able to get inside a cats head :rolleyes:

It may take a couple of attempts with the biological powder and enzyme cleaner to totally get rid of the smell but it will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

he's beautiful :p

Advertisement