Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bt + zyxel + belkin + torrents

• 12-12-2005 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

Not sure should this be in broadband or computer forum.

When ever I d/l torrents, my Internet line becomes unusable - websites just ping out. When pinging my router and modem while d/l, with speeds varying from 5-70 and up 5-10 - I had 20% something loss for both modem and the router.

My set up consists of Zyxel 623R-T1 modem(came with BT 1mb line) and Belkin F5D7230-4 wifi router.

Zyxel gives out dhcp for the router(just the route, and bt' dns servers). The Belkin router does all the firewalling and port forwarding(since the Zyxel cant do that) and gives out dhcp for the lan.

I had DSL Modem -> Bridging Mode -> Wireless Router set up, but afair it was a lot worse.

Is this happening to anyone else? If its the modems or routers fault, can anyone recommend a high quality dsl modem router?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Abc1

Hi,

Your upload is maxing out your connection. This happens with torrents. Try setting the max upload in your torrent client to about 40Kbps and you should be ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

If your upload is 128kbps then set the upload to 8Kbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Yeah, my upload is 128. I had a 7k upload limit and 70 download limit set today and yesterday, but that didn't help... any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i got the exact same setup, had problems but got it all sorted

i turned of dhcp in the roupter
    i pluged the bt modem into one of the 4 ports on the roupter ( ie not into the wan port)

i had messed with the modems settings so restored them to default (in maintenace-firmware)

set the pcs ip manually
    ie
    ip 192.168.1.5
    sub 255.255.255.0
    gate 192.168.1.1
    dns1 192.168.1.1

then in the modem settings in advanced -nat enable sua only
    click on edit details and in line 2 enter
    start port end port ip
    6881 6881 192.168.1.5

using azureus on port 6881 (obviously)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Maybe I'm completely wrong but could it also be because of the limit of the number of connections that Windows XP can make to the internet? I read somewhere that the updated tcpip in Windows XP SP2 limits the number of outgoing connections to 10 or so (to cut down on Denial of Service attacks apparently). Possible that bit torrent hogs all the outgoing connections?

Just because I've noticed that even with only 10kb/s download and 2 kb/s upload in bitcomet, I still can't access anything else (eg. google.com)

Also I think there's software out there somewhere that allows you to patch your tcpip to allow up to 50 simultaneous outgoing connections.

Just pondering... ;-)

Dave

• Advertisement

Tried bridging the modem and the router and it did not work well at all. The connection was being dropped few times an hour when downloading a torrent.

Now, I sat up what mukki suggested, enabled AP mode in belkin and configured zyxel to do dhcp... it works to some extent... guess I'm going to need to get some other adsl modem router...

wheresmybeaver: Yep, I got that patch applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Mick F

I've got exactly the same setup & get constant disconnects using torrents. Every hour or more.

Might give mukki's setup a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Yogiincork

The crappy Zyxel 623 is the culprit. You can power cycle it, then it will work again. But only until it freezes the next time when you do heavy torrenting.
    My advise: get a decent DSL modem, hook it up to your router. Or buy a decent modem/router.
    BTW I am running Mac OS X, same issue. So it's not a Windows prob (for a change :D)

Actually, it dropped the connection 3 times since yesterday (just using it by it self) - 3 drops in 24 hours isnt bad as 3 or so drops an hour when bridged with belkin...

So, can anyone recomend a good dsl modem then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I found that with that Zyxel piece of crap even after I was finished with a torrent I had to power cycle it to get it working again properly. Pings would be raised by about 30ms after having been on a torrent, until I reset it. Didn't have a problem like you're describing though.

• Advertisement

right, ordered D-Link DGL-4300 router. Hopefuly, it will have no problems - otherwise its a 180 euro paperweight :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i had nothing but trouble with the wifi gear BT provided
    random restarts, sub 1 meg speeds (on a 3 meg line), crazy ass pings....

a nice length of cat5 soon sorted that out:)

Advertisement