Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Since When?

• 12-12-2005 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

I've just been watching our esteemed 'RTE' news and they had an article on about the American lady whos son was killed in Iraq and is campaigning world wide for an end to the occupation and withdrawall of American troops.

She is here stating that the Irish Goverment are cullpable for what America are doing by the use of Shannon Airport for American 'Military' purposes. (Frankly in my own opinion - I aree)..

The responce by the Minister in charge of this (Not sure who this is but the responce was from some Minister anyway) was

The Americans have been using the airport for over 50 years - ok fair enough
    It's 'Non - Military' flights only (Or something like that)
    And heres the 'Since When' bit...

The Iraq occupation is by UN mandate.. Em yes exactly - 'Since When'?

The way I remember the first vote on 'Military' action was 'Vetoed' and they never bothered with a second but just went ahead and 'Invaded' anyway (America and Britain being the two controling powers in this). At least thats what I thought happened - seems not... according to RTE News that is...

Or am I wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

smeggle wrote:
    I've just been watching our esteemed 'RTE' news and they had an article on about the American lady whos son was killed in Iraq and is campaigning world wide for an end to the occupation and withdrawall of American troops.

She is here stating that the Irish Goverment are cullpable for what America are doing by the use of Shannon Airport for American 'Military' purposes. (Frankly in my own opinion - I aree)..

The responce by the Minister in charge of this (Not sure who this is but the responce was from some Minister anyway) was

The Americans have been using the airport for over 50 years - ok fair enough
    It's 'Non - Military' flights only (Or something like that)
    And heres the 'Since When' bit...

The Iraq occupation is by UN mandate.. Em yes exactly - 'Since When'?

The way I remember the first vote on 'Military' action was 'Vetoed' and they never bothered with a second but just went ahead and 'Invaded' anyway (America and Britain being the two controling powers in this). At least thats what I thought happened - seems not... according to RTE News that is...

Or am I wrong?

I think, after the illegal war, the UN voted on the terms of occupation, so while the inital attack and invasion was illegal they all agreed on what way the US and UK should handle things with Saddam gone.

I have to say, I love the reasoning behind the use of shannon (not to start it again).
    It's been used for 50 years (it's an Irish tradition! Would you stop celebrating Paddy's day too?)
    It's non military flights (so the US are sending American citizens to the sunny hotspot of Baghdad? Yes, just like the citizens that had to be told to take off their army uniforms after being spotted walking around with them on).
    And another is that it is a great source of income for shannon. (here you go minister, your wad of blood soaked money, just the way you like it.)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

flogen wrote:
    It's non military flights (so the US are sending American citizens to the sunny hotspot of Baghdad? Yes, just like the citizens that had to be told to take off their army uniforms after being spotted walking around with them on).

After coming back from the US in August, was talking to a nice US citizen in a military outfit. It being Shannon in the early hours of the morning and my luggage being transferred to another airplane to Dublin, I told the friendly solder what I was wearing was more suited to DC, where I’d just come from, he promptly replied that what he was wearing was for killing Iraqis.

Advertisement