Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

damaged alloys

Options
  • 12-12-2005 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

MY missus wrecked an alloy on her megane coupe tonight and i'm wondering is there anything i can do to repair it. Its badly bent on the inside. If i have to replace it, can anyone let me know where to go for a cheap one or if they have any themself. Its a 99 megane 16" alloy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

option 1 - find out if Renault can supply a new one
    option 2 - find a second hand one in a breakers yard
    option 3 - get yours repaired - I use Cox Engineering in Longford, I'm sure there are others and if the damage isn't too bad it might be possible to recover it by shaping it with a copper-faced mallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Campbell tyres in Clane repair alloys, even badly damaged ones. €60 afaik, including balancing & re-fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I badly bent a wheel on my old Alfa and my wife badly, really badly bent a 15" alloy on her 206 !

I fixed both of the perfectly with a plastic mallet and plenty of boiling water. That is the secret. The alloy gets really soft and obviously the water doesn't damage the wheel like a blowtorch would.

You will need plenty of freshky boiled water. I borrowed some kettles and an extension lead and had three kettles on the go. Just kept pouring over the whel till it was untoucheable and then start hitting, repeat as much as neccesary. You will need to deflate the tyre first obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

MercMad wrote:
    I badly bent a wheel on my old Alfa and my wife badly, really badly bent a 15" alloy on her 206 !

I fixed both of the perfectly with a plastic mallet and plenty of boiling water. That is the secret. The alloy gets really soft and obviously the water doesn't damage the wheel like a blowtorch would.

You will need plenty of freshky boiled water. I borrowed some kettles and an extension lead and had three kettles on the go. Just kept pouring over the whel till it was untoucheable and then start hitting, repeat as much as neccesary. You will need to deflate the tyre first obviously.

Really?
    Wicked.......

Advertisement