Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lad killed on the quay...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

merlante wrote:
    The reason why I used the word 'rabble', and I wasn't being entirely serious in using that term, (as should be obvious) is that I don't think that people who have never gone to college should be making decisions about how college campuses are run. They don't know why things are the way they are. They may not understand the social and educational dynamic of college campuses.

Ah yes - the old 'I was only joking' quote - usually trotted out in public fora by:

1. People who are unable to substantiate a weak argument.:o

2. People who are usually ashamed of what has been said in the first instance but won't admit it.:rolleyes:

How do I not understand the 'dynamics' of how college campuses (and the pural there is campi BTW;) )? You seem extremely pre-occupied with a protectionist stance on these on-campus pubs. Why so?

It is and educational establishment. If you're not at class you should be studying. When you finish for the day at 4 or 5 or whatever THEN go and have a few jars, of which you would be deserving after a long day.

Remember, my friend, that I (and everyone in this country, whether they have attended college or not) have an entitlement to have an input as to how they are run. It is our tax money that funds them. Try and rid yourself of the shackles that tie you to your opinion that those who have not attended college are some kind of lesser mortal. That is not the case. As I have already said, I have many friends who have attended/are attending college, and you would be completely unrepresentative of anyone I have met thus far.

All of them would consider the on-campus pub to be way down on their list of priorities, while it seems to top yours.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Freddie59 wrote:
    Ah yes - the old 'I was only joking' quote - usually trotted out in public fora by:

1. People who are unable to substantiate a weak argument.:o

2. People who are usually ashamed of what has been said in the first instance but won't admit it.:rolleyes:

The difference is that I have the decency to tackle the strongest and most relevant points in your posts, whereas you are only interested in isolating the most irrelevant and flippant phrases of mine and quoting them out of context.

This is because you really don't have anything to add to the argument.

Maybe you're sitting at home bored with nothing to do, or killing time in work, or you need a confidence boost or something.
    Freddie59 wrote:
    How do I not understand the 'dynamics' of how college campuses (and the pural there is campi BTW;) )? You seem extremely pre-occupied with a protectionist stance on these on-campus pubs. Why so?

campi? I think your classical education is letting you down.

You can't really substantiate any phrase about me that starts with "You seem extremely pre-occupied..." unless of course you've overheard one of my pedagogical rants in the pub or something.

What I'm saying is, if colleges ain't broke, don't fix them. And certainly don't do it at the behest of the rabble. ;)
    Freddie59 wrote:
    It is and educational establishment. If you're not at class you should be studying. When you finish for the day at 4 or 5 or whatever THEN go and have a few jars, of which you would be deserving after a long day.

You have no idea what you're talking about. :)
    Freddie59 wrote:
    Remember, my friend, that I (and everyone in this country, whether they have attended college or not) have an entitlement to have an input as to how they are run. It is our tax money that funds them. Try and rid yourself

I think we all, as tax payers, must demand that out colleges are as good as they can be. As regards specifics, such as what buildings/businesses exist on the campus, how subjects are taught and graded and how the colleges are run, we should ensure that the best experts are getting things done the best way. One thing we should not do is allow armchair commentators, such as yourself, to decide any of this.

I don't want you, or any other member of the unclean, dickensian rabble I have spoken about before, deciding how colleges are run, any more than I would want you telling doctors how to run an A&E. ;) You simply don't have to expertise to make those decisions, as is obvious from your comments. :)
    Freddie59 wrote:
    of the shackles that tie you to your opinion that those who have not attended college are some kind of lesser mortal. That is not the case. As I have already said, I have many friends who have attended/are attending college, and you would be completely unrepresentative of anyone I have met thus far.

Well, being a member of the great unwashed, I'm not surprised your friends are a little uncouth. *lol* or whatever the PC term for uncouth is these days. :)
    Freddie59 wrote:
    All of them would consider the on-campus pub to be way down on their list of priorities, while it seems to top yours.;)

What would they know? What, indeed, would I know? The college campus model is an old one, developed and evolved, believe it or not, by hundreds of experts that know a damn sight more about how colleges should be run than the likes of you. ;)

Any other non-points to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Merlante, your bang out of order with regards your personal attack on Freddie (I know I called you a fascist!, but I wasn't at all serious), it's not helping anything at this stage and is getting really childish.

One piece of gibberish that you mentioned I will quote thou (and I’ll even add a stupid smilie just to add to the shambles of this thread.......;) )
    What I'm saying is, if colleges ain't broke, don't fix them.
    The college campus model is an old one, developed and evolved,

Is that not a contradiction? In that case the educational system would never evolve! But this has very little to do with someone getting injured while drunk.

Merlante..I’ve got a news flash for you........Merry Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll give Merlante the chance to respond then thats it, thread closed.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Merlante, your bang out of order with regards your personal attack on Freddie (I know I called you a fascist!, but I wasn't at all serious), it's not helping anything at this stage and is getting really childish.

One piece of gibberish that you mentioned I will quote thou (and I’ll even add a stupid smilie just to add to the shambles of this thread.......;) )

Is that not a contradiction? In that case the educational system would never evolve! But this has very little to do with someone getting injured while drunk.

Merlante..I’ve got a news flash for you........Merry Christmas!

I haven't been attacking Freddie. He's been behaving like an arsehole, and I thought I'd give a little as well as take it. In any case, I hardly attacked him.

I'd just like to say that whenever people take two short sentences out of context and quote them and try to say that they is a contradiction between them, baby Jesus sheds a tear. (which is terrible at this time of year :) )

Anyway, there is no contradiction between those two sentences at all. Just because something can benefit from being developed and evolved, doesn't mean that it's broken and needs to be fixed. e.g. even excellent software, that works very well, (i.e. isin't broken) can do with bugs being fixed and features added, etc.

Indeed, this has nothing to do with people getting injured while drunk. I think whoever brought the Dome in to it was being more than a little mischievous, imho.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas indeed. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Why not close all pubs until 7 in the evening, and limit the amount people can buy in off-licences? Actually, why not shut down Guinness and Beamish brewerys, actually, lets invent a chemical that kills vines, hops and other sources of alcohol?
    The pubs opening hours isn't the problem, it's people thinking you can sink 15 pints on a night out, plenty of older people drink as much as students, plenty drink and drive etc. A knee-jerk reaction of limiting opening hours on campus will only lead to students drinkning in town, anyone who thinks otherwise is sadly unaware of human nature. Personally I blame the elder Irish generations for this problem, parents want it both ways ie, a) to be able to drink as much as they want, and b) to prevent their kids from imitating them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement