Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Trusses

Options
  • 13-12-2005 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for opinions on going for roof trusses rather than a cut roof.

House we are building is a two story with an option to use the attic as a 3rd floor at a later stage. Span from front to back is 10.2 metres

Looking for whatever information people have, particularly around:

- advantages/disadvantages
    - best companies for roof trusses
    - price of roof trusses Versus cut roof

Cheers,

Dec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

My only gripe with truss roofs over traditional cut roofs is the spacing, I have too much evidence that shows 600 mm centres are an imported American roof system but without the plywood decking.

For your project there are numerous advantages to using a truss over a cut roof, they can be Engineered to safely span the 10.2 m without dictating where you must build supporting / load bearing walls.

The attic conversion can be designed in today at a minimal cost compared to a cut roof so you can come back to it later or never the choice is yours for a reasonable cost.

Speed of construction can more than off set the cost of crane hire and your building can be protected from the weather in two days.

The disadvantages can be the space between the trusses, the amount of cross bracing that appears to be forgotton when the roof is standing.

The number of good carpenters who can cut a roof are falling fast, some of the younger tradesmen look on a cut roof as a mystery to be solved, almost equal to finished joinery.

Personally I like the cut roof but the truss is winning on price, convenience and no questions regarding stability or strength when designed and erected properly.

Most of the manufacturers are using up to date CAD design programs that take the structure and engineering details into account, if they are not then they should be talking to Kadman ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Who else would be brave enough to add anything to Rooferpete's comprehensive post:p

Definitely the art of a properly cut roof is disappearing, maybe Rooferpete should offer lessons. Indeed some colleges give a six month course in roofing, and then give a kellogs cert, and let these guys loose on an unsuspecting public.

Attic trusses are definitely excellent value for money in all areas. One company I worked for specced a roof for attic trusses, and thought they were too dear. So they opted for cut roof and timber placed joists, to save money.The engineering called for floor joists in dormer rooms at 8 " centres all 9x3 due to large spans and no supporting walls ect. My boss went ballistic, too late then to reorder and hit the programme date. He had to run with the loose joists. He never forgot that lesson.

End of rant.

kadman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

What are the best Roof Truss companies that are out there are the minute?

Cheers,

Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

I have recently received a roof truss quote from CLARKE homes complete with autocad drawings it came to about €7,500 if my memory serves me right for a roof that is about 8.8m deep by about 14m long plus another area (sunroom 4.1m long by 5.5m deep)

I would be interested in people's opinion on this quote and any other contact details for truss companies.

Advertisement