Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned from humour board

Options
  • 13-12-2005 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭

hi, got banned from the humour board a few days ago for life,yes life,for posting that a joke was not funny.i feel this is over the top and out of order,i did not insult anyone or cause offence,i know i broke the charter as i did not rate the thread but a permanent ban for an honest mistake a trivial one at that,if you have to rate a thread it should be across the board weather it is funny or not,

county
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭mentalson

What was the joke? if was really unfunny maybe the ban was justified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

He didn't post the joke, and it was the Blond Pole Dancer thread.

Looking over his past history on the forum, there doesn't seem to be any history of muppetry that I can see, so it does seem a little unwarrented without further explaination from Kharn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

blonde pole dancer i think,have a look to see if you find it funny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

For life seems harsh. I'd say wait a fortnight and pm the mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Read the charter.....posting negative stuff became an instant ban.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054858721

can't say i agree but tis his forum to mod and tis in the charter.

• Advertisement

**** that . posting a contrary opinion gets you a ban. Isn't that what discussions are about. moderater on a bit of a power trip.
    won't open cause I'm a at work but surely you are entitled to disagree that something is funny.

RuggieBear wrote:
    Read the charter.....posting negative stuff became an instant ban.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054858721

can't say i agree but tis his forum to mod and tis in the charter.
    Heh, I never saw that. New stickies really need to stand out more...

Heh, I never saw that. New stickies really need to stand out more...

i know,and i highlighted this when i pm him

Mind you, if you're not going to allow negative replies to be posted because they have to use the rating, why allow any replies at all? Why not just have them all have to rate the joke, rather than having one post of actual content followed by X posts of "lol" (yes, the "Jesus, lol" thread counts here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

county wrote:
    i know i broke the charter as i did not rate the thread but a permanent ban for an honest mistake

1) You realise that you broke the charters, which means you must have read the charter, and therefor knew in advance that doing what you did could have resulted in a ban

2) It was not a mistake. It was a deliberate act

3) You are a moron. There are TWO stickies. One even highlighting the very one that you got banned for. You deserved to be banned for life.

• Advertisement

i only checked after the event to see why i was banned

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hah, what a rule. But then, some people say the FS rules (Which are currently under revision) are ker-razy.

I think the "no replies, only threads" (with voting allowed) option would seem to be ideal if "negative opinions cannot be posted". ... which seems more silly every time I read it so I'm going to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thats wierd.

It seems Kharn picks a random thread and poster every once in a blue moon, as nearly every single thread has some negative posts, myself included. There'd be dozens of people banned each day if this example was the norm!

I think the rules are a bit stict anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Very silly rule, but in fairness you gotta ban someone, why else be a mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

county wrote:

no one told me murder was a prisonable offence!

indeed. ignorance of the law is no excuse

county wrote:

So then what part of Humour Board Charter - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING could you not understand then?

it was only changed a week ago,but i admit i broke the charter,its the severity of punishment that i question

appeal to Government Swarzenegger for clemency

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

MMMM crazy rule(I mean who thought that one up...you may only post lol!!!!) but you broke it... I think It's too harsh a ban also, way too harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

So then what part of Humour Board Charter - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING could you not understand then?
    and
    3) You are a moron.

Why are you so angry?

boardy wrote:
    and

Why are you so angry?

Because county has no legitimate reason for his complaints. He didnt read the charter where is clearly states TWICE what he has been banned for.

But mostly because I'm a cranky aul ****er with a slight case of constipation.

still i pretty ott punishment tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I find it terribly annoying when people post that crap as well, but a perma-ban is OTT in my opinion.

How else would you expect him to enforce an already difficult rule in the charter? Arseing about with month long bans is pointless - make an example and set the tone. Lifetime ban = this is a rule in the charter not to be messed with.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

How else would you expect him to enforce an already difficult rule in the charter? Arseing about with month long bans is pointless - make an example and set the tone. Lifetime ban = this is a rule in the charter not to be messed with.
    I think we could seriously do with an "auto-unban feature" in fairness. Make it a simpler process for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It was quite a weak joke TBH.
    Getting banned for not laughing at a stupid labrador pup and a stick that has done the rounds so many times...
    I think negative, but not abusive, comments should be allowed, it would help raise standards.

But it's the humour forum...there must be no negative criticism! Heaven forbid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

RuggieBear wrote:
    But it's the humour forum...there must be no negative criticism! Heaven forbid!!

No replies usually = negative reception of joke. That's why those lol replies are actually not pointless when a good joke is posted.

• Advertisement

simu wrote:
    No replies usually = negative reception of joke. That's why those lol replies are actually not pointless when a good joke is posted.
    all criticism positive and negative should be banned and the Rate the thread feature that the mod prefers should be used.

All users who post LOL should get perma bans too....

Advertisement