Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned from humour board

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Hobart wrote:
    IN order to form an opinion on a thread, by your analagy, a rating would have to be inplace. A rating could not be inplace if the thread had not already been rated (fairly obvious I would have thought). So therfore how would you know if a joke was good or not, if you were the first person to click on a new link? Or would you suggest that we pre-moderate all new postings and have the premodderator rate the joke before users see it?

??? The thread wouldn't be rated initially and you'd just have to hope for a good joke but a rating would appear once 5 users (or whatever the standard number is) had rated it. Once the thread had been rated that way, you'd have an idea of whether the joke was liked by others or not and you could use that to decide whether you were going to bother clicking or not. The way thread-rating already works, in other words.
    The second part of my post refers to the enforcment of a rating on a thread, this is impossible.

No, but by disabling replies, you're forcing users to rate the thread if they want to give feedback on the joke.

Now, go search for flaws in that. You know you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Siteban for being really bloody annoying might be in order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Serious point on the matter, I wont argue with the mod of that section for or against

Forum - (Noun) Meeting or medium for open debate or discussion

Source Collins English dictionary

Isnt it therefore a dictatorship that is happening, the whole idea of a public forum is to discuss, now I do agree that the owners of this site are out to make a bit of money but surely what seems to go on is a bit excessive.

I will admit I shoot first ask questions later on our forum but this is more to protect the site. Even so this site gets noobs, it gets veterans, yes it may be big, but for petes sake how am I meant to keep up with every charter, its like asking me to remember my first 2000 posts at home! Its not possible, there is too much change happening non stop, and for a casual user like me who rarely posts outside of the FS sections I just browse and come away sometimes posting on something I know about or what not. Certainly enforcing rules like that on such a section is sheer insanity, yes have rules, yes have limits but even an open to interpretation one is better than whats there, closing someone off because they dislike something takes away what makes a forum. Sure if they say "thats crap for the second time round" ban em but not if they dont find it funny and care to vocalise it.

This is the base level example of a mod with an idealogical outlook in a world that isnt idealogical, classic iconoclastical behaviour.

Sorry but its how I read it, yes the OP was wrong and didnt read the charter but do you always read the charter of the forum sections you visit each week? I certainly dont, I dont have the time! In truth every problem starts at the highest order, OP -> mod -> section runner -> admin ->god (if you want to go that kind of route) the admin seem all to passive here, what is a good forum seems to be taken down by people who are probably very good genuine people in reality but not "mod material".

PS. Its 4am yes I have drunk but I am pretty damn sober.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

Are these ppl on boards being serious????
    banning someone for life because he posted a negative comment???
    it's a joke that some little hitler mod on a powertrip can do it..there should be a mod feedback forum whereby if ppl are not happy with a particular mod he should be removed..and get rid of the stupid rules..it's crap like this that made me not resubscribe to boards..reckon all mods/admins are seriously disturbed ppl with absolutely no sense of self esteem and hence take it out on other users...

and as for Goneshooting..you sir are a wanker!!!! see how u like being called names..and somehow I bet the mods will ban me and not him for name calling...but then again it's feedback so that's not a big loss as they never seem to read it anyway.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Harsh. I wasn't aware in the change in the charter. Not sure how many are. How often are we to check this charter?

As for negative comments, are groans allowed? This wll suck the life out of a humour board. I've seen it on another board, and it is real quiet there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

astec123 wrote:
    Forum - (Noun) Meeting or medium for open debate or discussion

Source Collins English dictionary

Isnt it therefore a dictatorship that is happening, the whole idea of a public forum is to discuss.

Is that not what is happening in this thread right? Uninhibited conversation? Kharn sets the Charter, Kharn moderates the forum, it is Kharns choice as to what length of time to set a ban and that will not change until Kharn is no longer mod of that forum. The problem with allowing negative comments is that it opens the thread up to flaming and spamming and ultimately closing the thread.
    astec123 wrote:
    This is the base level example of a mod with an idealogical outlook in a world that isnt idealogical, classic iconoclastical behaviour.

Oh.......good........lord
    astec123 wrote:
    do you always read the charter of the forum sections you visit each week?

Now this is something that needs looking at. When an old post is edited the edited date does not appear on the forum view, so it would be difficult to spot any changes on an edited post without re-visiting the charter thread. Ideally each mod when making changes to a charter should reply to it. That way you will see the last replied to date and know that changes were made since you last looked at the charter. Good point astec.
    Airblazer wrote:

What people? Some people are serious. I am.
    Airblazer wrote:

Yes - next question.
    Airblazer wrote:
    it's a joke that some little hitler mod on a powertrip can do it

Lol - nice pun. A joke concerning the hitlerness of the HUMOUR moderator. You're funny.
    Airblazer wrote:
    ..there should be a mod feedback forum whereby if ppl are not happy with a particular mod he should be removed..

And which forum are you posting in right now? I thought this was the feedback forum.
    Airblazer wrote:
    and get rid of the stupid rules..it's crap like this that made me not resubscribe to boards

Dont let the door hit your arse on the way out.
    Airblazer wrote:
    ..reckon all mods/admins are seriously disturbed ppl with absolutely no sense of self esteem and hence take it out on other users...

And I reckon that all disgruntled posters are "seriously disturbed ppl with absolutely no sense of self esteem and hence take it out on other users...". But that's just me making nonsensical sweeping statements.
    Airblazer wrote:
    and as for Goneshooting..you sir are a wanker!!!! see how u like being called names..

Yes I do masturbate on occasion, so you are correct, if a bit crude, in your statement. I love being called names - especially nice names.
    Airblazer wrote:
    and somehow I bet the mods will ban me and not him for name calling...but then again it's feedback so that's not a big loss as they never seem to read it anyway.

There is no moderator of the Feedback forum - it's the Smods/Admins that will ban you - but I don't think they will just for this post alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

MMMM crazy rule(I mean who thought that one up...you may only post lol!!!!) but you broke it... I think It's too harsh a ban also, way too harsh.

Now you've done it!
    According to Charter 3, sub-section 8.1 ............ part (b) ............. amendment 5 ........ and using the French Translation, you may be banned for using lol!!!!, or you may not be, I am not quite sure.

We (the people) understand that moderating can be trying at times, but this ban appears to be a bit harsh. In fairness, posters generally do not go out of their way to read charters - maybe the OP (offending poster) should have received a warning.

boardy wrote:
    maybe the OP (offending poster) should have received a warning.

I think two stickied charters is warning enough for anyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Don't worry OP, you are going to be joined by a lot of users in the near future on a quick perusal of that forum(first two threads).
    It's going to be a lot of work for the mod because somebody is going to come in from the front page when they see the thread and post a negative reply. It's not like there are a lot of people who hang out in there long enough to read the charter and nobody is going to suspect that rule. Ah well, it will their fault for not reading it I guess.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054862610
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054862741
    Meditraitor posts lots of bad jokes and then bam 'brutal', get him. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Don't worry OP, you are going to be joined by a lot of users in the near future on a quick perusal of that forum.
    It's going to be a lot of work for the mod because somebody is going to come in from the front page when they see the thread and post a negative reply. It's not like there are a lot of people who hang out in there long enough to read the charter and nobody is going to suspect that rule. Ah well, it will their fault for not reading it I guess.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054862741
    Meditraitor posts lots of bad jokes and then bam 'brutal', get him. :P

now that's funny...another 5 permanent bannees there by my reckoning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'm subscribed to that thread. So far I have two email notifications for new posts that simply aren't there. Hence my post regarding the masked stranger keeping the place tidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh all this annoyment is not doing me any good.

can i have a hug from everyone involved?

neko3.jpg

/me hugz wwm

<<<<<<<<HUUUUUUUUUUGGGGZZZZZZ>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Hi Merc!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Kharn moved back to Dublin (specifically my flat) and has internet access again and it going on a bit of a ban rampage to clean the board up.
    I'll talk to him about this and see if he'll commute it to a month ban.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Airblazer wrote:
    it's a joke that some little hitler mod on a powertrip can do it..there should be a mod feedback forum whereby if ppl are not happy with a particular mod he should be removed..and get rid of the stupid rules..it's crap like this that made me not resubscribe to boards..reckon all mods/admins are seriously disturbed ppl with absolutely no sense of self esteem and hence take it out on other users...

and as for Goneshooting..you sir are a wanker!!!! see how u like being called names..and somehow I bet the mods will ban me and not him for name calling...but then again it's feedback so that's not a big loss as they never seem to read it anyway.

This man talks sense, i have been a boards member for a good few years, i stopped posting a while back because i was sick of some mods and there power trips. I was banned from AH ages ago(maybe a year) i have PM'd all the AH mods numerous times asking for access again but i never got any replies. And i know for a fact the AH ban was not a permanent one. I would subscribe to boards as well, if it was run properly.

ps i don't agree with the bolded part but i do think there should be a feedback section just for mod complaints, and if a mod is not doing the job right should be unm:D dded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I thought the "not funny" part was more humorous than the picture posted by the OP. Miles over the top with a perma-ban IMHO. Personally i think that can be said of a lot of bans handed out in various forums though. Seems to be discretionary rather than a consistent banning structure.

I remember reading a post recently where a reply said something along the lines of "possibly the most unfunny site i've ever seen" No ban for that???

Anyways, that's my unimportant opinion anyways.

L8rs

T I was banned from AH ages ago(maybe a year) i have PM'd all the AH mods numerous times asking for access again but i never got any replies. And i know for a fact the AH ban was not a permanent one.

Could anyone sort this out for me? I have PM'd all AH mods numerous times and never got any replies :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Could anyone sort this out for me? I have PM'd all AH mods numerous times and never got any replies :rolleyes:

Banned for abuse by the_fnj two years ago. There was no mention of when you were to be unbanned.

*shrugs*

I'll give you the benifit of the doubt that it wasn't permenant. Unbanned.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:
    Banned for abuse by the_fnj two years ago. There was no mention of when you were to be unbanned.

*shrugs*

I'll give you the benifit of the doubt that it wasn't permenant. Unbanned.

two years ago, god ive been away a long time, thanks for the unbanning mate :)

two years ago, god ive been away a long time, thanks for the unbanning mate :)

No problem. Sorry about the delay, my life has been stupidly busy recently and I forgot about the pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The best part is that I've learned to never ever post negatively there again.

A quick visit to the first few jokes that appeared after said incident feature prominently such words as "Brutal", "Retarded", "Gay", and much much more....

Few more lessons in order?

:v:

if you got banned a few months ago (as you claimed in your pm) then i would have expected the person to ban you, to unban you.
    im certainly not going to unban anyone i have not banned.

if you got banned a few months ago (as you claimed in your pm) then i would have expected the person to ban you, to unban you.
    im certainly not going to unban anyone i have not banned.

I haven't seen the_fnj active on AH for a very long time. I thought he was inactive tbh and the above's ban announcement had no lenght attached to it so I figured what was the harm considering the offense was 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I think two stickied charters is warning enough for anyone.
    When you got o a forum that you've been using for some time do you automatically check the charter each time, or even think about checking it for updates, especially if you have read it before and are happy with your understanding of it?? I think not, and for that reason alone the ban is moronic. Also the rule is ridiculous and prevents open discussion even if all someone has to say is "that joke was sh*t". Its still an opinion and one that should not be muted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

sprinkles wrote:
    When you got o a forum that you've been using for some time do you automatically check the charter each time, or even think about checking it for updates, especially if you have read it before and are happy with your understanding of it?? I think not, and for that reason alone the ban is moronic. Also the rule is ridiculous and prevents open discussion even if all someone has to say is "that joke was sh*t". Its still an opinion and one that should not be muted!!!
    I will not be muted

That post was ****:v:

RuggieBear wrote:
    I will not be muted

i concur.

we are talking about the joke, arent we?

RuggieBear wrote:
    I will not be muted

You go Ruggie!!! :)

• Advertisement

i concur.

we are talking about the joke, arent we?
    Well I would have guessed you'de be agreeing with that :rolleyes: :)

My point is that the mods should not be able to ban someone for voicing their opinion on whether a joke was funny or not. Ridiculous

Advertisement