Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Addicted to practising like a robot

• 13-12-2005 12:06pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Over the past years I find that my guitar rountine has gotten to the stage whereby I find that I seem to enjoy practising exercises across the strings more than actually playing the old reliable riffs.

Examples such as alternate picked stuff below:

(low e)1-2-3-4-3-2-1, (a)1-2-3-4-3-2-1, (d)1-2-3-4-3-2-1, etc..

or

going up...(low e)1(a)2(d)3(g)4, (a)1(d)2(g)3(b)4, (d)1(g)2(b)3(high e)4

coming down...(high e)1(b)2(g)3(g)d, (a)b(d)g(g)d(b)a, (g)1(d)2(a)3(low e)4

Does anyone else find this sort of mechanical practice gives a kind of relaxing feeling? Usually do this when lazing around, watching TV or just staring into space thinking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

BossArky wrote:
    Does anyone else find this sort of mechanical practice gives a kind of relaxing feeling? Usually do this when lazing around, watching TV or just staring into space thinking.

Yes. I love it. Just playing away without really concentrating on it while watching something on the computer, very addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah, I get the same. Well, I do it on violin but it's basically just the same. Just mindless speed/dexterity exercises or scales.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it, tbh, if you're enjoying it and it would increase your technical skill. It's also nice to play musically, but hey, people play instruments to enjoy them so do what you enjoy tbh. =P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

Apparentally thats one of the best things to do. It makes you more aware of where you are on the fretboard, stretches the fingers, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

but it can as easily leave you stuck in a rut in your playing!!

:v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Doc_Savage wrote:
    but it can as easily leave you stuck in a rut in your playing!!

:v:

I don't really think so. These days it seems I come up with my best riffs while playing excersizes. Why just yesterday I came up with an excellent riff when I was trying to come up with a stretching excersize.

That said, I always alternate between practicing excersizes, learning new songs or riffs, keeping up to scratch with the songs I already know, and just jamming or messing about. It's a balance that I think works very well, for me at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

good to hear you're not stuck in a rut!!:v:

Balance is good!
    but i was on about being stuck just playing exercises!

just tooling around with the odd bit of dilligence is my way!
    I dont play exercises as such... but i take runs out of solos and extend them out over the neck!

if i really want to be inspired i just plug in my microcube!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I am the very same ands its the best way to do it. I would be chatting away to someone and be playing scales or stretches without noticing

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

What kind of stretches as a matter of interest? I usually spend most time on scales, speed and precision.

Advertisement