Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The funniest books you've read?

Options
  • 13-12-2005 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

• Roddy Doyle's The Snapper in my opinion is the sort of gem that makes you laugh loud in public.
    • The Commitments.
    • William Sutcliffe's Are You Experienced?
    • John O'Farrell's The Best a Man Can Get

Does anyone recommend other laugh out loud novels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
    The Meaning Of Liff - Douglas Adams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Bill Brysons - Notes from a Small Country is pretty good. (hope I have the right one). All of his travel book contain loads of funny ancedotes. He's a gas man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Forgot about the Hitchhikers guide. Haven't read any Bill Bryson yet (apart from brief history), read bits from browsing in bookshops and like his style alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Hitchhikers guide, can't help but laugh-out-loud when reading that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
    just thinking of it now has me in stiches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

James Finn Garner - Politically Correct Bedtime Stories
    They made me laugh so much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭HybridTech

Gotta be The Snapper for me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I thoroughly enjoyed Round Ireland with a fridge by Tony Hawks.

Also The Barrystown Trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Alan153

Trainspotting has to be on eof the all time funniest books. A lot of Irvine Welsh's short stories are hilarious too.

The electric blanket under the dead guy in Trainspotting is particularly funny, and the written version of the pellet gun/pit bull scenario...truly excellent.

I can't believe I forgot to say High Fidelity, that has to be one of the funniest books I've read!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

the third policeman

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The funniest book I have ever read, and re-read (several times!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The discworld series - Terry Pratchett

Jackie loves johnser ok! Two birds one stoned both by neville thompson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭HarryHoudini

Has to be A Confedaracy of Dunces by Joh Kennedy Toole for me. I can't read this book in public, I only end up making a show of myself laughing out loud while other people stare on and think "muppet!".

zaph wrote:
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The funniest book I have ever read, and re-read (several times!).
    You should read Anasi Boys it's pretty funny too!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cheers, I'll keep an eye out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Road to McCarthy has its moments, like the unemployed guy who wins hte Lottery and later buys the building the doles office was in and converts it to a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Has to be A Confedaracy of Dunces by Joh Kennedy Toole for me. I can't read this book in public, I only end up making a show of myself laughing out loud while other people stare on and think "muppet!".

Yeah thats seriously funny.
    I love catch22 aswell, both of those books took me ages to finish, I'm a sucker for going back a few chapters and re reading funny stuff again and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Maybe not the funniest book I´ve ever come across but because I just read it recently: "Crap Towns - The 50 crappiest towns to live in in the UK". It is hilarious at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

God Knows - Joseph Heller

Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall - Spike Milligan

ps IMHO all that Terry Pratchet sh*te is sh*te. Also, I've met the guy, and he's a d*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Any of the Barrytown trilogy or The (Deeper) Meaning of Liff, its class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nice0ne

Hi,

If you liked Catch22 by Joseph Heller then try reading The Road to Omaha by Robert Ludlum. He normally writes political thrillers but this is a very funny book. Here are some reviews from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553560441/002-0657413-7332843?v=glance&n=283155

Enjoy,
    NiceOne

Advertisement