Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 10 meg.

• 13-12-2005 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I've read around and I see that NTL is meant to be upgrading to a potential 10meg connection. Does anybody have anymore info on this? I've emailed NTL asking them but they haven't got back to me yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

dlofnep wrote:
    I've read around and I see that NTL is meant to be upgrading to a potential 10meg connection. Does anybody have anymore info on this? I've emailed NTL asking them but they haven't got back to me yet.
    Its coming..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭biofreak

Already discussed here
    News article here.

biofreak wrote:
    Already discussed here
    News article here.

A little smart, thats a UK article, differenct company, and it has never been discussed, just a few pepole mentioned they had speeds for one eve about 2 weeks ago! also its 4 months old............

lets discuss................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Very good Drapper. It is for the UK. I've done some scouring and searching, only thing I can come up with is this: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5069

dlofnep wrote:
    Very good Drapper. It is for the UK. I've done some scouring and searching, only thing I can come up with is this: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5069

It will go 10mb in the next few days or just after Christmas! :D I hope........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

We were all upgraded one night a few weeks ago. I would imagine we will be upgraded again soon. Eircon are upgrading so NTL will follow suit.

Also SMART and Netsource

Come ON NTL put us out of our missery! before Christmas would be perfect!

Drapper wrote:
    It will go 10mb in the next few days or just after Christmas! :D I hope........

Really? I'm on the 3meg service. Where did you hear it will go up on Xmas? that would be a nice xmas present if I do say so myself :D Hopefully NTL will email me back soon so we can get some closure on this.

a small little bird............. never left his whole name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

give them a ring and ask for the upgrade. they may be offering trials..
    i rang them last year enquiring about the previous upgrade and they upgraded me again on the spot..

• Advertisement

yeah, I'll see what the sya in the mail. Stuck in work at the moment so can't call them.

Drapper - I'll take your word for it. :)

dlofnep wrote:
    yeah, I'll see what the sya in the mail. Stuck in work at the moment so can't call them.

Drapper - I'll take your word for it. :)

Its kinda simple, NTL do not want to be behind SMART at 5mb and Eircom at 5mb, Netsource at 5mb and IBB at dial up! they wanna be leaders! ;-) so they are gonna upgrade!

It makes perfect sense. 10 meg is a major jump. I like :D

dlofnep wrote:
    It makes perfect sense. 10 meg is a major jump. I like :D

Its not Majic its just SMART of NTL ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

We can probably stop calling them NTL:Ireland now, the Liberty Group completed the purchase yesterday, so it will probably be rebranded UPC very soon, probably at the same time as the upgrades, it would be great PR.

All of us on the 3m service experienced 10m/512k for one night two weeks ago, so the network and technology is certainly capable of it, however that was an accident, on that day NTL:UK customers (a different company) were getting upgraded to 10m, we seem to have also gotten the upgrade for one night (NTL:Ireland still seems to use part of the UK network). It went back down to 3m/300k.

However there seems to be a lot of rumours going around that we will get the upgrade also, including from NTL sales people and installers.

It makes sense that UPC would want to wait to upgrade until they rebrand, so that they can launch a big national advertising campaign to launch the new brand along with the new speeds. It would also be great if they hurried up and launch a phone service over BB. I expect this might happen at the same time, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

It'd also be great if they offered their broadband service to more people!

Me, for instance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It would be great if they could offer their services outside large city's and get proper national coverage not just the lucky few who live in the selected areas of Dublin, Galway and Waterford cities.

They'll merge with Chorus in the next few months and that will widen their coverage. I can't see them expanding much beyond current Chorus/NTL areas though. Perhaps they start to use MMDS for BB?

E-mail from NTL in reply to me asking about 10 meg.
    Dear John,

Thank you for your email. Our Marketing Department are continuously looking at all avenues regarding our Broadband Service. At the moment there is no confirmation to whether or when we will be upgrading the speeds on the Broadband Service.

Should this situation change we will notify all customers immediately.

They said this about the upgrade to 3 meg. It either means they don't know or they were told not to tell customers.

• Advertisement

paulm17781 wrote:
    They said this about the upgrade to 3 meg. It either means they don't know or they were told not to tell customers.
    i would say the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

I have just ordered the service and the guy confirmed that the 3 Meg service is to be upgraded to 10 Meg service - no date yet - but probably Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Heard the same thing when I asked the girl on the phone when I was ordering my NTL. Sometime in the new year.

waits............ Eircom Upgrades have started, and SMART too..................

Drapper wrote:
    waits............ Eircom Upgrades have started, and SMART too..................

Was thinking the same...

have to admit it seems faster ! but the modem settings are still at 3meg, they must have updated most the nodes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭HarryHoudini

I've been on 10Megs with NTL for the past 4 days now. Although I got one of them swanky new blue modems about 2 months ago. When they installed it the engineers mentioned testing the new speeds with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I've been on 10Megs with NTL for the past 4 days now. Although I got one of them swanky new blue modems about 2 months ago. When they installed it the engineers mentioned testing the new speeds with it.
    Were are you?

I've got the NTL:250 modem. I don't think it's anything to do with the modem, I'd say it's more to do with the fact that you are on a beta trial list or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Any news on what will happen us lowly 2Mb guys?

Advertisement