Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 2

Options
  • 13-12-2005 12:41pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got this game after a few years of now playing it. Classic! Totally addictive! Anyone else love this? Any idea what Civ4 or 3 are like? Even 1? How does 2 compare to the rest?

Anyone any good at defeating the AI on the harder levels? CUrrently I'm on the easiest mode and am at a bit of a stalemate with the Germans, Japanese & Egyptians in around 2200 AD...we are all beating the cr@p out of each other without getting anywhere.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

civ 2 stole my ages 13 & 14 be warned its a thief

beating the AI?
    tanks (VAST quantities) + fundamendalism + Battleships + a few stealth bombers here and there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

yeah battleships are deadly, each time I sent one out it seems to take about 15 of the enemy down with it! Stealth fightes I found alot better than bombers. Annoys me the way bombers use a turn each time they bomb something, unlike the fighters which can keep flying even after fighting if they have fuel left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

oh its unreal I love it

Civ 4 Destroys it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

my favourite game of all time bar none
    its genius
    i bought a pda and a lot of the reason is that i could play civ on it
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/item/Civilisation.php
    god i love that game
    now if i could only get pro evolution 5 on it ..... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

We have similar taste in Games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

CIV 4 is fantastic. I have been playing it on easy to get used to the new features. I am going to crank it up when this game ends. The combat is relly good and the promotion of units is a welcome addition. The graphics are really nice. Not as cutting edge as some games around now but still really good. I am really happy with it. it stole a few hours of my life last night whe I was meant to be practising guitar. Ah well I nearly wiped out the chinese though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Civ 1 was my favourite in terms of just "wow this is awesome"ness. Civ 2 totally overhauled it making it isometric and all that jazz. Generally better, but some things a bit disappointingly worse than the first. My dad played both but usually preferred to resort to Civ 1. Although I'm sure going back to Civ 1 from having played Civ 2 first won't be at all nice and you'd give it one quick spin and be done with it.

Civ 3 made just tiny incremental changes over civ 2, and although I loved the culture influence, I started to feel like it was getting just a little too washed out and trying to be too broad for its own good, especially as micromanaging when you have 30 cities and 100 military units meant that one turn could take 30 minutes. I usually had to leave my workers/engineers on auto even though they often made stupid decisions.

Everybody's raving about Civ 4, but I haven't played it yet. The religion thing doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me, just like the new interesting feature like culture was in Civ 3. And the fact that units only have strength, no attack or defense? That really puts me off.

I think the next direction the series has to go in is really good delegation, so as you grow, you can delegate everything you do, so that you're only interested in the overall scope. You could organise your civilisation into autonomous regions that would mostly manage themselves, and your units into different armies that you could just order to defend your empire or expand the eastern front or something and they'd be smart enough to do it well. That would let you concentrate on broad things and they could introduce a whole load more of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

BossArky wrote:
    Got this game after a few years of now playing it. Classic! Totally addictive! Anyone else love this? Any idea what Civ4 or 3 are like? Even 1? How does 2 compare to the rest?

Anyone any good at defeating the AI on the harder levels? CUrrently I'm on the easiest mode and am at a bit of a stalemate with the Germans, Japanese & Egyptians in around 2200 AD...we are all beating the cr@p out of each other without getting anywhere.

Civ 2 is better then Civ 3, but 4 is now the king

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

ha, i love in civ 4 the way they put an alarm system in it, just to remind you to give it a rest after 15 hours or so.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

anyone want a net game of Civ 2 then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Played Civ II and III, great games. Think I might pick up Civ IV for Chrimbo since Oblivion is awol.

Played Civ II it on the Playstation. You'd be waiting ages for the computer to make his turn by the late stages of the game, lil PS CPU just couldn't handle it! Probably the most hours I've put into any game though, great stuff.

What use to piss me off about Civ was that you could have 10 Aircraft Carriers loaded to the brim with Nukes anchored menacingly off your enemy's coastline in range of all his major cities and it would have no bearing on diplomacy whatsoever. You couldn't threaten the AI properly! I bought Civ III hoping that multiplayer would be a bit deeper that way, but I gotta say Civ III online was a major disappointment. It's just all about rushing. Look up any Civ forum for multiplayer strategies and it's all about churning out units as quick as you can at the start. :(

10 Aircraft Carriers loaded to the brim with Nukes anchored menacingly off your enemy's coastline in range of all his major cities

That sounds like a plan alright but whenever I get an aircraft carrier out in the water a stealth bomber plus his 20 battlesship friends come along and down she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Balfa wrote:

Everybody's raving about Civ 4, but I haven't played it yet. The religion thing doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me, just like the new interesting feature like culture was in Civ 3. And the fact that units only have strength, no attack or defense? That really puts me off.

Religion is actually an important factor in Civ IV. What people were initially complaining about was the fact that in terms of abilities or bonuses, all 7 religions are exactly the same. However, "religion" as a concept is important, and can be very powerful if used right. For example setting up a state religion gives you bonuses in cities which have that religion. Spreading your religion in foreign cities gives you influence. If your neighbour has a different state religion to you it can cause tension and demands from them to change your religion. Also, if you are the founder of a religion you can build a special holy building which gives extra bonuses. You're also able to see whats going on in any other cities in the world that have that religion. In the early game I usually try to research all the relgion techs first, so that Im the first civ to found all the religions.

And the combat really works in Civ IV. I know the removal of attack and defence stats was a bit of a worry, but the end result in the actual combat is much better.

Civ IV for King!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

The civics add a lot more depth to the game i feel. The religion civics and the other one (2nd one in - cant remember it!) where you change between vassalage, etc, are great for switching between - especially if your civ is spiritual (no anarchy). Great for focusing on production/military units. If you manage your national wonders well, you can pump out units with 12 or so experience points (3 levels) before they have done anything. The combat power thing is quite easy to get to grips with also, once you make sure you know your way around the promotions.

Favourite unit in the game anyone? I love the conquistadors (spanish knights) as they get the full defence bonus (unlike knights). Fantastic units right when you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Boro wrote:
    The civics add a lot more depth to the game i feel. The religion civics and the other one (2nd one in - cant remember it!) where you change between vassalage, etc, are great for switching between - especially if your civ is spiritual (no anarchy). Great for focusing on production/military units. If you manage your national wonders well, you can pump out units with 12 or so experience points (3 levels) before they have done anything. The combat power thing is quite easy to get to grips with also, once you make sure you know your way around the promotions.

Favourite unit in the game anyone? I love the conquistadors (spanish knights) as they get the full defence bonus (unlike knights). Fantastic units right when you need them.
    i hate conquistadors as they took 2 of my cities last night :(

but i showed the spanish good

*goes off to make more nukes*

Advertisement