Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL + ISDN; I assume it's still not possible?

• 13-12-2005 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry guys,
    I've not been keeping an eye on the market for a little while. I've a company that's moving to a new building, and we're looking after their IT needs. They want four incoming lines (3 voice + 1 fax) with a BB connection. We've spoken to a company about installing a PABX, and they recommended 2 ISDN lines as it works out cheaper in the long run.

But I'm skeptical - the last I knew, you couldn't keep ISDN and get DSL, so I'm pushing for 1 ISDN line + 2 PSTN lines (in the event that NTL can't supply cable BB to the building). Am I right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

if there is only one phone line and it is setup for ISDN the wall connections(and possibly others) need to be converted back to rj-11 to get DSL, this requires an eircom(or whoever) engineer to change the sockets. In my place of work, they originally had two ISDN lines coming in for the server communications, and have since added a broadband connection, using a seperate telephone line, thus they have two ISDN lines, one broadband line and 2 standard phone lines into the building

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You can use the fax line for Broadband so you can have the isdn lines. Also check out what broadband you can get as you could put in a VOIP PABX (like Asterix which is Free) over broadband. you could do without of all or some of the isdn lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

seamus wrote:
    But I'm skeptical - the last I knew, you couldn't keep ISDN and get DSL, so I'm pushing for 1 ISDN line + 2 PSTN lines (in the event that NTL can't supply cable BB to the building). Am I right?

You are right. It is possible, just eircom don't/won't do it. You could look at getting (decent) wireless, or using VoIP on some/all numbers to reduce costs .. but weigh up the costs of SLAs/support/etc.

.cg

Advertisement