Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are acceptable pings

• 13-12-2005 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

i know what pings are - but what difference do they make to me and what is considered acceptable - mine ( IBB ) today are

gateway - 43
    dns - 53
    google.ie - 325
    boards.ie - 67

ps are there any other relevant places to ping ?
    pps what is "quality of service"

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

All those pings are acceptable except Google.ie
    I get about 40ms to goolge.ie

QOS is a service on your router [not all routers] that allow you to prioritise traffic out over the internet. For example, you can give your gaming a higher priority than downloading. It means that no matter what is being downloaded, your gaming will still be as smooth as possible. This is a very simplistic explanation, but basically it.

*EDIT* I'm using Clearwire in Naas
    *EDIT 2* When I had IBB, I could ping the gateway in 4 ms average. So your gateway ping is bad too. Boards seems about average but a little on the high side. nothing to worry about.

If you're a gamer, try ping your gaming server. See what this gives you. It should be below 70 but ideally in or around the 40ms mark

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

All those pings are acceptable except Google.ie
    I get about 40ms to goolge.ie

do you know if there's anything i can do about it - i mean is it somthing to do with google - or is it a problem with ibb

i dont play games really - does the high ping to google actually make any difference

the difference between the 4ms to gateway that you got with ibb and the 43 that i'm getting - does it really matter that much - or is it just download speed that is the important part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ideally you should have an in-game ping of about 40-70 in Irish Servers. That said, you can have a much higher ping and still be grand.

I play Soldier of Fortune II 1.0 online, not a hugely populated game due to it being an older version compared to the 1.3 version, so I have to play on US servers mostly.

I get pings of about 185, as does my friend, and we can play in 32 man servers with no lag whatever.

325 pinging google looks very suspicious though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 room305

Don't automatically assume the high delay on your ping is due to heavy traffic on ibb's network. If google's servers are busy they may take a while to respond to pings. Run ping for at least a minute or two ("ping -t <address>" in ms-dos) and look at the average value. As a general rule you would probably require a ping time of < 200ms for games or skype (that is a very general rule though).

room305 wrote:
    Don't automatically assume the high delay on your ping is due to heavy traffic on ibb's network. If google's servers are busy they may take a while to respond to pings. Run ping for at least a minute or two ("ping -t <address>" in ms-dos) and look at the average value. As a general rule you would probably require a ping time of < 200ms for games or skype (that is a very general rule though).
    A ping of >10ms for VoIP would be unacceptable to me.

*EDIT* A ping of >100ms for VoIP would be unacceptable to me.

• Advertisement

IrishTLR wrote:
    A ping of >10ms for VoIP would be unacceptable to me.

is that what the delayed reaction thing is about on skype then ????

if i got a ping of less than 10ms then are you saying i wouldnt have that

thanks

GAMES --- guys thanks for all your help but i DONT PLAY GAMES -- i am trying to find out what differences a high ping makes to activities OTHER THAN GAMING !!!

Sorry, I meant to say >100ms. Original posted edited.

Don't I feel stoopid? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

These are acceptable pings (NTL):-

ping www.google.ie

Pinging www.l.google.com [66.102.9.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.102.9.104: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=243
    Reply from 66.102.9.104: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 66.102.9.104:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 31ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Eh, the delay/echo you get on Skype is just because Skype sucks. Using a different VoIP service with the same connection you wouldn't have the same problem.

I really resent how popular Skype is, it's an absolutely cack service. I wish something decent could have become popular instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

A bad latency can effect download speeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Drapper wrote:
    These are acceptable pings (NTL):-

ping www.google.ie

Pinging www.l.google.com [66.102.9.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.102.9.104: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 66.102.9.104:
    Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 31ms

I'm on IBB and here's what I get:

Pinging www.l.google.com [66.249.93.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.249.93.99: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=243
    Reply from 66.249.93.99: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=242
    Reply from 66.249.93.99: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=242
    Reply from 66.249.93.99: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=242

Ping statistics for 66.249.93.99:
    Minimum = 36ms, Maximum = 43ms, Average = 40ms

Pinging your Gateway at 40+ms is unacceptable IMO. Here's what I get when I ping mine:

Pinging 83.141.66.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 83.141.66.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=255
    Reply from 83.141.66.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 83.141.66.1:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 2ms

Any more than that and you basically have a crap connection...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

On Digiweb Metro (3mbps) I get 10ms to 20ms Pings no packet loss. Clicking on anything you see how busy the server is, not delayed by your connection. Many pages can "flick past" faster than page turning on a PDF...

My friend close to IBB base staion gets 140ms to 160ms and up to 50% packet loss. He just about manages online real time games.

Mostly it will seem fine.

Perfectly working two way satellite "Broadband" will do 3000ms pings. Gaming is impossible. You get up to a 3 second delay clicking on a page before it starts loading. No matter how fast the connection is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I tried playing HL2 Deathmatch the other night and when I was checking player lists I saw my ping was between 60 and 100 to sometimes 150 or 160. Everyone else was below 60, usually. Does this give other players an advantage or what?

Also, I'm playing over a wireless router, I suppose this adds a bit of latency but how much exactly? and one of the other dudes in the flat is connected by wireless aswell and is doing some major downloading, does this affect it? I'm never sure how much dandwidth these online games need.

So many questions.... Cheers!

Dave

dave - you should really start new subjects in a seperate thread - it just gets too difficult to read 2 conversations at the one time - ask the mod to move it for you if you want

krazy_8s wrote:
    A bad latency can effect download speeds

how does that work ?? - surely if im getting 100kB at 100kB/sec it will take a second and that's it ??

.... another question ... surely pings on wireless networks will not be as fast as wired ??? shouldn't we be comparing like with like - or should they be roughly the same?

gumboots wrote:
    how does that work ?? - surely if im getting 100kB at 100kB/sec it will take a second and that's it ??

.... another question ... surely pings on wireless networks will not be as fast as wired ??? shouldn't we be comparing like with like - or should they be roughly the same?

To continue going off topic, I have clearwire [wireless]. My computer is also wirelesly connected to the router. When it works, I can connect to Steam [HL2CTF] at pings of between 40 and 60 ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Bad Latency can affect download speeds because of the way TCP works. You're computer has to send an acknowledgment that it receives every bit of data it's sent. If the latency is high these acknowledgments can get mixed up causing the computer sending you data to slow down the transfer.

gumboots, Do you mean wireless networks as in the wireless network inside your house, or as in IBB/Metro/Clearwire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

gumboots wrote:
    dave - you should really start new subjects in a seperate thread - it just gets too difficult to read 2 conversations at the one time - ask the mod to move it for you if you want

questions are ping related, not really a new topic? ;-)

ie How badly do:
    1. wireless routers and
    2. somebody else downloading on your connection
    affect your pings?

because I did read somewhere once that wireless isn't perfect for online gaming; but I don't remember specifically if it was because of ping issues?

Dave

gumboots, Do you mean wireless networks as in the wireless network inside your house, or as in IBB/Metro/Clearwire?

no i meant wireless network - ie would it not take less time for a ping along wires to a server somewhere that if it was going by radio

questions are ping related, not really a new topic? ;-)

ie How badly do:
    1. wireless routers and
    affect your pings?

because I did read somewhere once that wireless isn't perfect for online gaming; but I don't remember specifically if it was because of ping issues?

Dave
    fair enough on the pings but it had nothing to do with gaming .... if you read the post my question is actually about how pings affect things OTHER than gaming !! - and anything about wireless was intended as a ref to wireless networks - not routers

in answer to your questions i dont know but i do think i also heard someone say that wireless networks were not good for gaming but i wasnt really minding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

ie How badly do:
    1. wireless routers and
    affect your pings?
    1-Makes virtually no difference (assuming good connection & you are the only one using it)

2-Can affect them badly, depending on type of usage & how much spare Internet bandwidth you have at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Depends if they are uploading too. Sometimes I share my mates 3mb ntl connection, when he downloads at full speed it does effect pings, if he is uploading it destroys pings.
    wheresmybeaver why don`t you find out the answer to your second question yourself?! Just tell your mate not to download for a few hours and try gaming. Then compare the two and you will see;
    1. ping when he isn`t downloading is good
    2. ping when he is downloading is bad

Gumboots the ping to your gateway doesn`t matter as long as its around 60ms or lower. Do you always get poor pings like that to google.ie and good pings to other sites, or was it once off?

Oh yea and if you are thinking of complaining, mentioning pings to IBB usually does nothing, they don`t really care about them. All they care about is the download/upload speed you are getting imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Ruffty^ wrote:
    Gumboots the ping to your gateway doesn`t matter as long as its around 60ms or lower.
    60ms is a pretty significant addition to everything else. If you have a wired connection to your gateway you should be getting less than 1ms - either that or something's going wrong. Any pings in a wired LAN should be less than 10ms. In UL I get averages of around 0.8-4ms between PCs in different buildings.

Dunno about wireless LANs, ping-wise. I think in my friend's house he was getting about 15ms between their crap old PC (w/ 802.11g adaptor on stinky USB1.1) and their Netopia router - might have been higher though...

yes rufty - google is always between 200 and 400 - usually around 300 - i am beginning to get the picture - does this mean that i have to wait 300ms for data to START arriving from google after i hit enter ??

60ms is a pretty significant addition to everything else. If you have a wired connection to your gateway you should be getting less than 1ms - either that or something's going wrong. Any pings in a wired LAN should be less than 10ms. In UL I get averages of around 0.8-4ms between PCs in different buildings.
    it's a wired LAN(in my house) connected to a wireless WAN(IBB) - i'm a bit confused - i thought the gateway was the first point on the network outside my house - in this case it's an aerial about 200yards away - do you think 60 is acceptable in that case or no( for downloads/voip and regular surfing )

gumboots wrote:
    yes rufty - google is always between 200 and 400 - usually around 300 - i am beginning to get the picture - does this mean that i have to wait 300ms for data to START arriving from google after i hit enter ??
    Isn't it 600ms? When you click enter the packets have to upload and then come back down...
    gumboots wrote:
    it's a wired LAN(in my house) connected to a wireless WAN(IBB) - i'm a bit confused - i thought the gateway was the first point on the network outside my house - in this case it's an aerial about 200yards away - do you think 60 is acceptable in that case or no( for downloads/voip and regular surfing )
    60ms to your gateway is (IMO) unacceptable. If I had that, I couldn't play online! I guess it's fine for browsing but you should be getting less than 4ms...

Isn't it 600ms? When you click enter the packets have to upload and then come back down...

i thought that the ping was already taking that into consideration - isnt ping a measure of how long it takes to get to the server and back down ??

could someone post the address of a typical game server here so i can check it and use it as a big stick against IBB when im talking to them - i dont play games online - but i hadnt planned on not being able to either
    thanks

gumboots wrote:
    i thought that the ping was already taking that into consideration - isnt ping a measure of how long it takes to get to the server and back down ??
    You could be (and probably are) correct!
    gumboots wrote:
    could someone post the address of a typical game server here so i can check it and use it as a big stick against IBB when im talking to them - i dont play games online - but i hadnt planned on not being able to either
    thanks

Here's the IP of G.F.F's "Call of Duty 2" server based in the UK: 195.242.236.40:28960

You should ping this at around 40~50ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I suggest you try www.jolt.co.uk

You could be (and probably are) correct!

Here's the IP of G.F.F's "Call of Duty 2" server based in the UK: 195.242.236.40:28960

You should ping this at around 40~50ms

thanks - excuse my ignorance but what's the :28960 at the end and how do i put that into the ping - i tried just typing it in but no dice

• Advertisement

Sorry gumboots that's just the port number. You don't need that to ping the IP. just write < ping 195.242.236.40 -t > (Ctrl + c to stop pinging).

Advertisement