Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concerts with Piano

• 13-12-2005 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hey, I'm not a classical music buff, but my girlfriend is so I apologise for knowing nothing about it! I want to get her some tickets for some performance for a Christmas present. She is studying music and plays the piano. Again apologies for my lack of understanding but could you recommend where would be a good place to look at the pianist up close, I think that she said where the choir sits is a good place?

Also what would be a good concert to go and see? I was on the NCH site and have loads of Friday night concerts but not sure which one would have the most piano...or would they all have some element of piano?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Custom22

Hey, I'm not a classical music buff, but my girlfriend is so I apologise for knowing nothing about it! I want to get her some tickets for some performance for a Christmas present. She is studying music and plays the piano. Again apologies for my lack of understanding but could you recommend where would be a good place to look at the pianist up close, I think that she said where the choir sits is a good place?

Also what would be a good concert to go and see? I was on the NCH site and have loads of Friday night concerts but not sure which one would have the most piano...or would they all have some element of piano?

Thanks

I think she meant the choir balcony. Cheap seats there, and good enough sound. I think the middle rows are the best in the aisles. You get the best view and sound. Anywhere really is pretty good though in the NCH.

There isn't much of a choice at this time of year as it is all Xmas stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

If you get up the front of the choir seats you will have a brilliant view. Another place where they do concerts is the national gallery. Its a small enough room so you will have a better view, and they were doing a series at 3 on a sunday, all with piano. might be over at this stage though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Robbiethe3rd

No no, the BEST place to sit is the red balcony when there's a piano involved, your looking right over the pianists back and can see everything that's going on!

If your just looking for a piano recital I dunno if there's much on but have a look at the rte nso, they have a good few good piano concerto's coming up in the next while if still interested.

(ie Beethoven and Grieg concertos)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Custom22 wrote:
    . Anywhere really is pretty good though in the NCH.

no its not. its a renovated lecture theatre! compared to Birmingham, the Konzertkebeau, Berlin, Carnegie, and even the Helix the NCH is rather shabby with that weird brass echo that is noticeably longer because of the seats being old and vibrating. hopefully the new one will be better. that said dont be put off going as it is the best venue concertwise if not acoustically.

• Advertisement
Advertisement