Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slur Alex starts to feel the pressure

• 13-12-2005 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4525152.stm
    Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson accused the press of hating his club in an angry outburst ahead of Wednesday's game against Wigan.
    "They have a hatred of United," said Ferguson, who later walked out of a news conference with the national newspapers after only one question.

"It's always been there. It goes with the territory, I suppose, of us being such a high profile club.

"I understand it a bit but they go too far. They try to fragment the club."

He added: "I think our fans are aware of that and I don't think they will fall into that trap.

"When we are at our best the fans are right behind us - and that's the only thing that should matter."

Chelsea's consistent form makes it difficult to win the league

Sir Alex Ferguson

United have come in for criticism after their Champions League exit and Sunday's 1-1 draw against Everton.

They lie 12 points behind Chelsea in the Premiership but can close the gap with victory in their game in hand against Wigan.

And Ferguson defended his side's league form.

"We have all got a problem because Chelsea's consistent form makes it difficult to win the league," he said.

"If you look at our present points total, it's better than four of the last six seasons at this time of year.

"Most of the teams below Chelsea will be thinking that in a normal season they are doing quite well.

"But obviously the Chelsea consistency is a problem for all of us, not just for Manchester United."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

the pressure has to be getting to him,off the the game v wigan tomorrow,like to hear what the views are from the old trafford faithful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Slur alex, what does that mean?

p.s.
    Is there something he said you disagree with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

PHB wrote:
    Slur alex, what does that mean?

p.s.
    Is there something he said you disagree with?

There is a lot he spouts that i dont agree with! Nothing personal though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

PHB wrote:
    Slur alex, what does that mean?QUOTE]

I think the OP is suggesting he slurs like a drunk;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Didn't Fergie use this old nonsense years ago when he claimed Leeds would try harder to beat his team than the would in a later game against Newcastle leading to that whole "I would LOVE it if we beat them" performance from Keegan.

Besides wasn't Arsenal something like 19pts behind Liverpool in 88-89 and they still won it on the final day?

Fergie sounds like a man who's making excuses before he's even failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

"Slur Alex"

I don't get it!!!!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

He is clearly feeling the heat judging by this stmt, to be honest i'm glad, He needs to feel under pressure and so does the players, at this point the team will either sink or swim. It feels horrible to see liverpool still in the CL and United out and somebody has to pay for the grief that "WE" are all getting at the moment.

i got an email from a friend (a liverpool fan) the other day which said:

"Due to Manchester United’s tragic exit from all European Competitions this season there will be a minute’s laughing at all Premiership games this weekend!"

NOW SOMEBODY HAS GOT TO TAKE THE BLAME FOR ME GETTING THIS KIND OF GRIEF!!!!!

I guess its also the slagging that makes us use terms like WE and YOU'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

If its not rob styles plotting to end united, its the media! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

He talks about Chelseas consistency.

Consistency wina you the league. If they were a bit more consistent then they would win the league. Its like hes blaming his bad form on Chelseanbeing too good. Like Chelsea are too good or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Fergie wrote:
    "It's always been there. It goes with the territory, I suppose, of us being such a high profile club.

"I understand it a bit but they go too far. They try to fragment the club."
    It's just another example of spin from ManU. He starts an argument with the press, to divert press attention from the dismal form of the club, he storms out of a few press briefings la de da da da. It's classic fergis, old and tired at this stage, typical and frankly "cringing" for the fans TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

he's got to be feeling the pressure but fergie is a wily old manager and he knows how to handle the media. Could this just be a ploy by him to defer attention from their form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

mchurl wrote:
    he's got to be feeling the pressure but fergie is a wily old manager and he knows how to handle the media. Could this just be a ploy by him to defer attention from their form?
    Thats exactly what he is upto and has done it often before. He will try and get the press to focus on him rather than the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

the mind games never worked on wenger to the same effect they worked on the likes of keegan, so his mind games will have zero effect on mourinho or benitez, neither respond much to personal attacks and prefere to do their own thing

fergie is past it. he lost it when he announced his retirement and then went back on it.

he wishes the media hated united, it would mean they're still as big and as important as they were 3 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Ah yeah, he's only drawing attention away from the team.

As for the media "hating" united, they are always hovering like vultures whenever WE aren't on a run of form but SAF's outburst is just trying to create that siege mentality in an attempt to foster some team spirit. But it is a bit strange that there isn't a fraction of the column inches devoted to Arsenal's "crisis" considering that they've been woeful in the league recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Slur Alex...original, you should send your c.v. into The Sun :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

el rabitos wrote:
    the mind games never worked on wenger to the same effect they worked on the likes of keegan, so his mind games will have zero effect on mourinho or benitez, neither respond much to personal attacks and prefere to do their own thing

fergie is past it. he lost it when he announced his retirement and then went back on it.

he wishes the media hated united, it would mean they're still as big and as important as they were 3 years ago.

Wenger is absolutely terrible at handling mind games! He gets far too angry!

no, kevin keegan gets far too angry, wenger responds to it. mourinho and benitez just shrug it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

cheesedude wrote:

I don't see where you're getting this from. The only time Wenger ever appeared angry in 'mind games' was when Mourinho called him a voyeur and he threatened to sue which he was well within his legal rights to do. He is always calm, collected and gives his opinion without a fuss. Besides mind games are a crock of sh*t anyway, it worked once with Keegan... basically all it did was to get Keegan to make an ass of himself on tv. Just how much that contributed to Newcastle's downfall you can't say. Since then it's just been Ferguson, Wenger and now Mourinho slagging each other off in the papers which bears little or no signifigance on their team's performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

no pressure we will take second and win the two cups no pressure at all alex preforms better under pressure he loves it you will all c

no pressure we will take second and win the two cups no pressure at all alex preforms better under pressure he loves it you will all c

i could almost hear a collective *GASP* around boards there, what'cha gonna do when the club with no midfield run wild on YOU?!

• Advertisement

Ferguson and Mourinho have huge respect for each other and if you notice, they have stopped nit picking at each other and have just continued to piss all over Wenger in the public domain when it is necessary...rightly so, if u can't topple Chelsea, u may as well take their side.

they have stopped nit picking at each other and have just continued to piss all over Wenger in the public domain when it is necessary...rightly so, if u can't topple Chelsea, u may as well take their side.

so the MIGHTY reds "glory glory man united" and all that now ride in the back seat to Chelsea and the "Special One"

U know, as hard as its been to watch liverpool be behind united for the past 10 years, its nice to know pool were never uniteds (b)itch just like u say united are chelseas now.

glory glory man united *thumbs up* :)

Well you would look some fool trying to criticise José and his team when they keep winning and I am glad Fergie has the sense not to.

PS: The reason you never spoke out about Utd was cos ur then manager Houllier was a goat.

Well you would look some fool trying to criticise José and his team when they keep winning and I am glad Fergie has the sense not to.

PS: The reason you never spoke out about Utd was cos ur then manager Houllier was a goat.

hahaha, right. ur houlier comment will no doubt rile all liverpool fans :rolleyes:

u just said ur happy for ur team to ride in the back seat to chelsea, ur passion and commitment to united is comendable and its that very attitude why fans of rival teams have such RESPECT for man u supporters. *cough* mercenaries *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

el rabitos wrote:
    ur passion and commitment to united is comendable and its that very attitude why fans of rival teams have such RESPECT for man u supporters. *cough* mercenaries *cough*
    Don't generalise us with people who come out with crap like
    cheesedude wrote:
    ...rightly so, if u can't topple Chelsea, u may as well take their side.
    Greaaat attitude.

Don't generalise us with people who come out with crap like

nah, was aimed at the likes of him and bandwaggon supporters tbh, united have alot of them, as do chelsea and liverpool got a few back there after istanbul

soz for the genralising though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

chiller wrote:

Chiller,

I admire your optimism but I can't share it. We have two central defenders who can't defend for 90+ minutes, Smith and Fletcher in midfield, nobody to supply decent crosses for Ruud and Rooney being played out of position continually, he drops back to defend when Rio goes up for corners :eek: Yeah like Rio scores so many from corners. Also we have Fergie and CQ who have lost the dressing room (not to mention the Glazers).

Things are not going to get better until we:

1. Buy a proper central defender. Vidic from Serbia is a name being touted around.
    2. Sort out the midfield De Jong from Ajax along with Rio moved in front of Vidic who will be able to keep an eye on him and give him a kick up the arse when needed.
    3. Sort out the managerial situation.

Advertisement