Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stalker (pc)

Options
  • 13-12-2005 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭

what ever happened to STALKER for the PC it looked unreal and it was supposed to be out around the time FEAR was!!! looking at play.com it has a date of march next year whats with the delay??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Delays are fairly common with these type of overreaching games. Hopefully it will mean its a more complete experience (closer to the hype) when it is eventually released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

This is the last thing ive read about it -
    http://www.stalker-game.com/index_eng.html
    Ive been waiting for this game for a long while to. As Reactor said, lets hope there making something special as they are certainly taking their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Yeah i've been looking forward to it for ages and then i just forgot about it!! i bet my PC wont be able to handle it once it eventually surfaces!!! its seems they almost had it finished and then this massive delay out of no where.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Its been put back again. It won't be anytime soon. I think I read Xmas 2006, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I just hope it doesn't keep on slipping and fall into Duke Nukem forever territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Stalker is being released on the 3rd of march along with Elder Scrolls Oblivion so it will be a good day for games :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Its a good thing - when they are as far along with a game like that and then delay it for 6 - 8 months it normally means the play-testers thought it was ****e.

And as for not running on machines when it finally comes out I reckon it might do a half life 2 and end up not actually being a killer app because the original base engine was built on older technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i read that it was finished, but they werent happy with the story, they said it was too shallow, so they started fresh with the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Honestly, reading their site, it sounds kinda crap. The English is terrible. "The Zone" oooOOooHhhh. Heres hoping their programming language is better than their English language.

Zillah wrote:
    Honestly, reading their site, it sounds kinda crap. The English is terrible. "The Zone" oooOOooHhhh. Heres hoping their programming language is better than their English language.

They are russian/ukrainian - give them them a break. I'm sure any story I tried to explain in russian would sound pretty bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Stalker is being released on the 3rd of march along with Elder Scrolls Oblivion so it will be a good day for games :D

man i cant wait for oblivion. will buy that the day it comes out. stalker can wait a while. sounds very good though, assuming they can deliver on their promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

whats this oblivion about?

Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion.
    Sequel to Morrowind
    RPG

http://pc.ign.com/objects/702/702491.html

They are russian/ukrainian - give them them a break. I'm sure any story I tried to explain in russian would sound pretty bad.

Thats such crap logic. If I were Russian, and publishing a website in English, I'd make bloody sure there was an English speaker doing it. It shows such lack of professionalism, its like showing up to an interview in a tracksuit and runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

hey you can't knock the eternal, timeless graceful style of a tracksuit and runner....knowharimeanbud??

Zillah wrote:
    Thats such crap logic. If I were Russian, and publishing a website in English, I'd make bloody sure there was an English speaker doing it. It shows such lack of professionalism, its like showing up to an interview in a tracksuit and runners.
    Well having read the stories about how expensive it is to make a game I expect their budget didn't include william shakespear for a friggin website. Who cares, its just a website - I assume priority is the game itself and to be honest the english is ok - so what if they use "the zone" - they're game makers, not poets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

This game was actually being put in as a 'Half Life2 killer', was meant to be out before HL2 and 'put it in its place', that was before HL2's year long delay too :)

Honestly not looking forward to this at all, the first person weapons are simply eye meltingly awful, and everything just looks out of place, and the setting seems loose at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Zillah wrote:
    How? The website is just there to give fans an idea of what's happening with the game. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare.

PS - what exactly is wrong with "The Zone"? It was called "The Zone" in the book. It was called "The Zone" in the movie. And they're both badass.

Sorry, the "The Zone" comment and the bad english were unrelated criticisms. I've just been saturated with so much "creative" stuff over the years that phrases such as "The Zone" sound so silly to me.
    How? The website is just there to give fans an idea of what's happening with the game. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare.

What the hell is with the Shakespeare comments? Im not asking for Shakespeare, Im not asking for poetry or even clever writing, Im asking for competant English. Now really, you're making such a big deal of this. My personal opinion is that having bad English on their website shows a lack of professionalism and attention to detail, traits I feel are quite important to making a decent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Zillah wrote:
    I've just been saturated with so much "creative" stuff over the years that phrases such as "The Zone" sound so silly to me.
    Well, like I said, clearly your saturation never involved Tarkovsky or Strugatsky. "Roadside Picnic" (which S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is based on) is one of the greatest science fiction books ever written. And that introduced us to "The Zone".
    Zillah wrote:
    Im not asking for Shakespeare, Im not asking for poetry or even clever writing, Im asking for competant English.
    Oh, the irony.

:D
    Zillah wrote:
    My personal opinion is that having bad English on their website shows a lack of professionalism and attention to detail, traits I feel are quite important to making a decent game.
    That's your personal opinion, and you're entitled to it. And my personal opinion is that the game should be their focus, not their website which is after all, just a way for them to communicate with fans of the game. If the money they're saving by not hiring a translator for their site means that they've got more money to hire artists or level designers, then I think that's a fair compromise.

• Advertisement

ObeyGiant wrote:
    If the money they're saving by not hiring a translator for their site means that they've got more money to hire artists or level designers, then I think that's a fair compromise.

Its just as possible that its all a symptom of the same problem.

Advertisement