Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tournaments?

Options
  • 13-12-2005 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am looking to prepare an article on gamers in Ireland who compete in tournaments or have ambitions to go pro.

If you know of anyone who would be interested in participating on this, please PM me.

Cheers,

LD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

You do realise spamming 3 different fora with the same post is frowned upon dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I knew I was taking a chance but there isn't a games thread that cover the most popular online communities for CS, Quake, BF and Unreal.

Plus, I am not a newbie so I'd thought I'd chance it!

LD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Well thats what the generic games forum is for.

btw you should know that I reported you as a spam poster. Since you arent a noob you dont even have ignorance as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

secret_squirrel, are you a moderator on this board? secret_squirrel, I hope you know that I have reported you as a fag, and this will go down on your permanent record.

Lorddrakul, good idea calling out to the different gaming communities... there are others like RTCW:Enemy Territory, and Call of Duty, but for 1v1 tournaments then Quake has always been the main game professionally (except for last year, when it was Painkiller). Theres always been a handful of pro and semi pro players in Ireland in the different games - don't know if there are any big players for the future in Irish Quake, but if you want some history then let us know.

There are a handful of Irish players and a couple of Irish clans actively involved in Clanbase, but the only real competitor imo in Irish quake (i.e, going to CPL etc.) is melachi, that is unless he lost interest as indicated in his latest column on quake.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Cheers for the warning Squirel, but no disrespect was intended. It was merely an attempt to reach the people whi might be most interested. I am not selling anything and the article would be appearing in a national technology magazine that would hopefully get some attention from companies that may be able to help the online gaming movement in Ireland.

Thanks Illkillya, I met Melachi at MegaLAN a few years ago. I'll try to drop him a line.
    Are you much of a gamer yourself?
    Unfortunately the arrival of my son put a dent in my online gaming (UTII, LOMAC and a few others) but as he came with no instructions, he's at least as interesting :)

LD

• Advertisement

I am a gamer, but I would never consider going pro, I think that 'professional' gaming is only good for under 18s who are so delighted at winning $1000 that they overlook the fact that it cost them $800 to get there, and they spent 1000 hours training for the event. Theres no money in these FPS games except for the top 2 or 3 like Fatality. There is money in online poker and some other games (maybe starcraft?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sAid

i donno there are alot of big tournements out there now ,but seeing that there isn't really a good games community in ireland apart from the cs and wow community (which is just the ppl that aren't good at cs) its unlikely anybody will ever go pro from ireland.

Another factor (for quake pro-gamers) is there aren't many young/new ppl playing it,and the majority of "good gamers" are all the old school players who started with q1.Even though most of those are inactive there is still a huge gap in the skill level of quake players from ireland with maybe a handful of young players being decent,leaving us with a pretty bad quake community in terms of skill level compared to countries like sweden usa and pretty much the whole of europe

But that being said there are some decent irish players like anarki from aAa and melachi.There are even some decent cpma irish players from the north like nego and maybe mistral but,like secert squirrel, hes a fag :v: :v: :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Melachi, Anarki and Crow are the only active irish players who've played in the big lan tournis afaik.

I'm by no means pro (both because I don't want to be, and I'm no-where near good enough at any of the games you can become pro in), but if you can't find someone good before your deadline or whatever, I'll do it.

Fobia wrote:
    Melachi, Anarki and Crow are the only active irish players who've played in the big lan tournis afaik.
    Quetzal, where do you get these ideas? When you have no idea what you're talking about -> don't say anything.

There are loads of Irish players who have competed in "the big lan tournis", when dNC were around - a full professional clan - they used to win these big LANS - even Jedi has taken part in the CPL in Q3, not to mention Ser who was a member of the most famous professional clan of all time, SK, playing in almost every map at Frag4 where they came second in the world in the TDM. Zero's experience at the big LANs goes back to 1996, and I don't know enough about the CSers (Vertakill/tazzle etc) to comment on them.

Btw, the guys name is Anarchy... "Anarki" is a bot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Illkillya wrote:
    Quetzal, where do you get these ideas? When you have no idea what you're talking about -> don't say anything.

There are loads of Irish players who have competed in "the big lan tournis", when dNC were around - a full professional clan - they used to win these big LANS - even Jedi has taken part in the CPL in Q3, not to mention Ser who was a member of the most famous professional clan of all time, SK, playing in almost every map at Frag4 where they came second in the world in the TDM. Zero's experience at the big LANs goes back to 1996, and I don't know enough about the CSers (Vertakill/tazzle etc) to comment on them.

Btw, the guys name is Anarchy... "Anarki" is a bot.

Well, I forgot about Ser with him being in England and all, but yes, your points stand.

I've tired of arguing, you know alot more about me in terms of quake history. Well played.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sAid

yeah ban fobia/quetzal imo

Advertisement