Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Kilkenny

Options
  • 13-12-2005 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if Broadband is available in the South Kilkenny area. What would be a rough guide to costs etc.
    I know there is a Broadband forum as well. I'll use it for advice if there is a service available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Where in south Kilkenny? 1 Mb adsl costs about 30-35 euros a month, depending who you go with. If you live close enough to the city you can get Chorus cable broadband - i.e. no phone line required.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stephen wrote:
    Where in south Kilkenny? 1 Mb adsl costs about 30-35 euros a month, depending who you go with. If you live close enough to the city you can get Chorus cable broadband - i.e. no phone line required.

If yoru in the city you can get BT Business DSL and get your line unbundled so you don't have to pay line rental ;)

But again,. where in south Kilkenny....I know Premier Broadband (wireless) have a service around Callan area but not sure where else they cover
    It costs about 35e pm for 512K connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Cabaal wrote:
    If yoru in the city you can get BT Business DSL and get your line unbundled so you don't have to pay line rental ;)

tell me more ?
    At moment I've chours at 35.oo per month , told me increase to 1.5 mb, but my conne ction always says 100 000 kb

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tell me more ?
    At moment I've chours at 35.oo per month , told me increase to 1.5 mb, but my conne ction always says 100 000 kb

You can get yourself a unbundled BT Business 1MB/256K line for 45e pm
    Its expensive but its uncapped, has a static IP and low contention ratio.
    They also have a 2MB line for 85e

All you have to do is fill out the correct section of the application form they give you
    esatunbundle4pa.png

I've had my line for almost two years now and to be honest I've had maybe 15min of downtime during all this time, very dependable service....their dsl is good but their billing dept has some serious issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

tell me more ?

Stick with Chorus and get the phone from www.blueface.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Some good options.
    I'm in Ballyhale. Main St. (If there is one)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

tell me more ?

you're not looking at the computer icon in your system tray ( bottom rhc) are you - that would be a differnt thing - how do you test your speed ? you have to download a file from a reputable server and see the kB/s rate and multiply by 8 to bring it to kbps then divide by 1000 to see if it's close to what they say - if you get 85% youre doing ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Anyon know if anyone does broadband for north Kilkenny.. a few miles the kk side of Ballyragget.
    Moving back for the summer and wont be able to stand it with 28.8Kbs.

i know that irishbroadband and digweb have wireless services in kilkenny - but the IBB transmitter is located just above johnswell and is pointed at the city and the digiweb one is located i think at the north side of the city ( newparkish or something like that ) on a water tower aparently - but that's pointed at the city too - so unless you can get dsl or are willing to pay for 2 way satellite or put up with the maddness of 1 way satellite theres not much hope for wireless - but you can always try them - depending on the way the antennae are setup on the digiweb transmitter you might be able to get that - they came out pretty quick to me to do a test

there is a private guy doing wireless broadband in villages around kilkenny - dont ask me how but he has a service up in a post office or garage somewhere like thomastown or bbridge - so he might have something in ballyragatt - ask around - or you could try to get involved with irishwan - you should also see is there a local broadband scheme in your area - i think there are a few about - good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

gumboots wrote:
    you're not looking at the computer icon in your system tray ( bottom rhc) are you - that would be a differnt thing - how do you test your speed ? you have to download a file from a reputable server and see the kB/s rate and multiply by 8 to bring it to kbps then divide by 1000 to see if it's close to what they say - if you get 85% youre doing ok

thanks for that,
    all is revealed (Well when I discover this elusive file from a reputable server :D )

• Advertisement

Try something like any large file from ftp.heanet.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

gumboots wrote:
    there is a private guy doing wireless broadband in villages around kilkenny - dont ask me how but he has a service up in a post office or garage somewhere like thomastown or bbridge - so he might have something in ballyragatt - ask around - or you could try to get involved with irishwan - you should also see is there a local broadband scheme in your area - i think there are a few about - good luck

Cool this saturday will take a look in those snailmail offices an see if i can get b.band in stoneyford...

stag39 wrote:
    Cool this saturday will take a look in those snailmail offices an see if i can get b.band in stoneyford...

Leave me know how that goes for ya:confused:

No more info anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

thetourist wrote:
    the IBB transmitter is located just above johnswell and is pointed at the city

Would that be the only BB option for Johnswell?
    I know someone in Johnswell and he's checked Eircom and they say they can't do BB in Johnswell at the moment.

kleefarr wrote:
    Would that be the only BB option for Johnswell?
    I know someone in Johnswell and he's checked Eircom and they say they can't do BB in Johnswell at the moment.

last time i checked digiweb were on the mountnugent mast as well so you should be able to can get the metro service especially if you can see the mast

As its covered in Broadband forum so much its worth looking at Three's Broadband offering, signal varys abit in Kilkenny compared to Waterford but I've still seen people getting full signal in the back of beyonds near Johnstown :)

http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/datacards_e220.htm
    10GB Cap, 20e a month and 130e for the DataCard, upto 3.5MB speeds (seems to average around 1.5MB)

Three offer a 14 day period where you can try it out and either send it back or keep it and begin your 12 month contract, pretty fair offering to be honest :)

Its certainly a good option for people who can't get Chorus, ADSL, Digiweb.

Would be certainly interested to know peoples experience with this in Kilkenny and County Kilkenny if anyone has used this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've got one of those 3 datamodems. I wouldn't be shouting from the rooftops about its wonderfulness to be honest. When I got it first, it was fast enough but it's gotten much slower in recent times.

Some of this is down to the weather - speed is badly affected by heavy rain and God knows, we've had enough of that over the past month. Another thing that's slowing it down is the number of people also using the service nearby. I suppose living in the city, I'm bound to be surrounded by fellow subscribers. It runs faster during the daytime than it does in the evening. I'm finding now that I'm not getting a constant HDSPA signal - the connection is fairly OK when it's at HSDPA but it keeps dropping back down to 3G a fair bit which slows it up. It would be quite a stretch for me to describe it as a 1mb broadband connection. It's more like a good dial-up at times :(

If you can't get broadband any other way or like me, you're renting and move around a bit, it's worth considering. Otherwise, take a look at other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CutieCat

Alphawave broadband is made especially for places where there is no broadband available, ie the southeast of Ireland. Reasonable prices too, I have it and it's very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CutieCat

Alphawave broadband is made especially for places where there is no broadband available, ie the southeast of Ireland. Reasonable prices too. I have it and it's very reliable.

• Advertisement

Do they have limits on how much you can download?

compustore ( now quinns computers ) have an add in the window saying they can get you broadband anywhere !! dont know what the catch is though :D

Sounds like they're hawking sh1tty overpriced satellite broadband to me if its available anywhere.

Stephen wrote:
    Sounds like they're hawking sh1tty overpriced satellite broadband to me if its available anywhere.

Most likely, perhaps its Eircoms sat broadband, broadband anywhere is a bloody big claim, lets hope they back it up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ANyone have an idea about broadband availability on the Kilkenny/Carlow border? Goresbridge area. Does any providor in Ireland do those USB sticks with SIM cards with monthly subscriptions along the lines of T-mobile's Web 'n' Walk device?

ANyone have an idea about broadband availability on the Kilkenny/Carlow border? Goresbridge area. Does any providor in Ireland do those USB sticks with SIM cards with monthly subscriptions along the lines of T-mobile's Web 'n' Walk device?

there are a few providers doing mobile broadband if that's what you're after - o2 and vodaphone and i think carphone warehouse - but from what i've heard the quality is pretty up and down and even though it's the best some people can get i dont know of many people that are happy with it - i think it might work ok off peak but not at busy times
    www.aptus.ie does the goresbridge area i think - have no idea about them though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 katiewoneill

Permanet have signal in killkenny as well as other counties, its wireless, ie. no phone line needed.

It is also cheaper than the ones listed below, their 512mb package is €25 a month uncapped.

I wouldn't consider 512kbit to be broadband any more in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Permanet have signal in killkenny as well as other counties, its wireless, ie. no phone line needed.

It is also cheaper than the ones listed below, their 512mb package is €25 a month uncapped.

I think you need a clear line of sight i.e. no hills in the way I asked about it for Piltown but Tory Hill is in the way of the Cheekpoint transmitter and part of the Commeraghs block the other transmitter.

so if anyone has any other suggestions (I'm going to try the 3 option this weekend)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

'Link Broadband Ltd' also cover Carlow/Kilkenny.. esp. gowran/goresbridge/borris/paulstown, etc.

Advertisement