Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Gb download

• 13-12-2005 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Just wondering there,im on eircom 1meg BB and i've a measly 1GB upload limit.If i try to download a 2.16GB file (a LEGAL one!) through BitLord,anyone have any idea if it would eat up my 1gb upload cap?

and do eircom charge for going over your upload cap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

no they wont charge u going over the cap by too much (once u arnt going way over all the time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

i've gone over 16gb by between 1-3gb for the last 4 months and haven't been charged yet. dont think they go after people who just slightly break their cap. i'd say u'll be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Didn't think there was an upload cap, thought it was unlimited. Could be wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Didn't think there was an upload cap, thought it was unlimited. Could be wrong though
    You're very wrong. Didn't you read the specs of the package you bought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Speedway wrote:
    Just wondering there,im on eircom 1meg BB and i've a measly 1GB upload limit.If i try to download a 2.16GB file (a LEGAL one!) through BitLord,anyone have any idea if it would eat up my 1gb upload cap?

and do eircom charge for going over your upload cap?

omfg ffs :v: 1GB ha lol wat the hell is eircom thinking ha ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Don't worry about going over it, I don't think they charge anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ricey wrote:
    omfg ffs :v: 1GB ha lol wat the hell is eircom thinking ha ha ha
    Probably that people would buy the plan that has the cap they need. You know, shop for what suits? Clearly, the customer has never heard of sucha thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unless you are uploading files (e.g filesharing) you are unlikely to hit upload cap.

Downloads create very little upstream traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

watty wrote:
    Unless you are uploading files (e.g filesharing) you are unlikely to hit upload cap.

Downloads create very little upstream traffic.
    Unless of course he's downloading a 2.16GB torrent file...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Dont be worrying about it but if your really bothered use net limiter or something simular to limit how much each program is allowed to upload works great with bittorrent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

But limiting your upload will decrease your download speed and it'll take ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Hey

If you file you want on bit torrent has loads and loads of seeders, then chances are it'll download at a low ratio (with a lot less uploading), but if there are lots of leachers and fewer seeders then you might have to upload as much as you downloaded, or even more, possibly.

Anyway the correct etiquette for bit torrent file sharing is that you upload as much as you downloaded (1:1 ratio), but very few people seem to stick to the rule... difficult enough when ur maximum upload speed is 12kb/s ;-)

Advertisement