Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dail questions about church and state

Options
  • 13-12-2005 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20051213.xml&Node=H2-1#H2-1

Bertie says he meets with all under the sun but has an inability to say secularism without empty in front of it.

"I said that an empty secularism which denies the importance of religious belief and practise is not good and can create difficulties."

I dont' understand what he is trying to say?

Anyway he says there continued dialogue with all but doesn't seem in a hurry to do anything about anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

Bertie well knows that most schools are run by the Catholic Church to a large extent even if it's the government that pays the bills. The Church also owns huge tracts of land and many businesses too.

Excuse my cynicism but the church is a really just a huge money making machine and Bertie knows what side his bread is buttered, so his comments come as know surprise to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20051213.xml&Node=H2-1#H2-1

Bertie says he meets with all under the sun but has an inability to say secularism without empty in front of it.

"I said that an empty secularism which denies the importance of religious belief and practise is not good and can create difficulties."

I dont' understand what he is trying to say?

Anyway he says there continued dialogue with all but doesn't seem in a hurry to do anything about anything?

Ah um hes a politician he saying alot about everthing without actually saying something and anything!

what do you expect?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I don't know if this is more suited to here, or politics :)

Tbh, Bertie is a very astute politician, I think with anything he says in public you have to wonder about the political spin behind it. For example, much of his constituency in north dublin would still be strongly catholic, so he certainly wouldn't want to alienate them. Then again, it's possible to over-analyse these things, it could easily be just his personal opinion or even a slip of the tongue.

It would be nice to have complete seperation of church and state in this country, but when you consider how far we've come in the last 20 odd years we're doing pretty well. And in fairness to Bertie, he has met with Jewish and Islamic groups in recent weeks, and I don't think he'd let any religious bias influence any major decisions or policies.

Advertisement