Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird desktop problem

• 13-12-2005 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

I'm running XP Sp2 Prof. I don't know how this happened or how to get rid of it. I seem to have a folder sidebar as part of my desktop. It works and all but I don't want it. Does anyone know how to get rid of it. Thanks.

http://members.boards.ie/hagar/Desktop.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

how strange, never saw that before. I don't use that, even in normal folders tho. You can turn it off for all folders in Tools>Folder Options> Use windows classic folders apply okay etc.

Or maybe its an active desktop issue... display properties>desktop>customise desktop buttan>web tab.

[edit]

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm #15, never tried used anything from this site, know if its to be trusted or if that works, but worth a look, first thing that popped into google

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

this is very unusual - have you found a solution - are you sure it's not a bit of spy/adware or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I haven't found the answer yet. I don't think it's spyware or adware as I run AVG Spybot and Ad aware.

At this point I'm beginning to think a re-install of windows is on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Man that's crazy, I've never seen that before...
    one thing I'd try is to open windows explorer and navigate to your \documents and settings\...<username>...\desktop\ folder and see if there's a desktop.ini in there (make sure you've got explorers options set to show all files including hidden/system/protected)
    Not sure if desktop.ini will even do that, but it's worth a shot.

I don't think it's spyware or adware as I run AVG Spybot and Ad aware.

At this point I'm beginning to think a re-install of windows is on the cards.

2 scans is not enough to discover all adware - i would run at least 6 or 8 before i considered reinstalling windows - also try posting to some other sites and try to get some mvp's (microsoft valued professionals ) involved - the site mentioned earlier kellys corner is one example

here are some scans i would advise
    microsoft antispyware
    spybot s&D
    pest patrol ( if you can get a trial version - though i think it wont allow you to remove stuff but you might get some clues)
    cwshredder
    maybe some antitrojan stuff too trojan remover and a+ come to mind

2 other things i would do is repair you registry using for example advanced uninstaller or one of the many registry repair tools and run a system file check - just open the run box and type sfc.exe/scannow ( for xp ) - you will have to have your os disk handy though

actually i dont think it's adware any more
    did you see these ... i did a google search and it appears to be a bug in the registry ... i would try the last 2 suggestions before you do either of the things on these sites - esp the last one - as he says it restores hundreds of reg setttings back to defaults - i presume some of your settings would go with them - maybe make a restore pt beforehand just in case
    http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:aHFzKczsiJIJ:vboverdrive.extreme-vb.net/forum/printthread.phtml%3Ft%3D51491+%22common+tasks+on+desktop%22&hl=en
    http://www.highdots.com/forums/windows-xp/common-tasks-desktop-1259208.html

• Advertisement

Gumboots, you Sir, are a legend.

The first link you provided did the trick.
    Not only that my laptop is now booting up in about 1/10th yes 1/10th of the time it used to take. There must have been something really wrong with the registry.

Thanks to all who took the trouble to help.

glad to be of help

ps if you havent already done so i suggest you donwload the triall of advanced uninstaller and get it to do a defragment of your registry - if it had been in bad shape then a defragment could even speed things up a LOT more - i have seen a defragmented registry slow a computer down to half it's normal speed
    there's a fix registry option in that progrma too --- but use the registry backup first just in case

good luck

For what it's worth this happened again tonight.
    It can be triggered by trying to set a gif as the desktop twice in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Hagar wrote:
    For what it's worth this happened again tonight.
    It can be triggered by trying to set a gif as the desktop twice in a row.

In your file associations make sure gif is associated with Windows Picture and Fax viewer and not internet explorer, which is what it looks likes happening :S

Advertisement