Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Meteor and long texts

• 13-12-2005 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

My wife has a prepay Meteor mobile. She often sends long texts of over 160
    characters to a friend and Meteor charge for two texts as I believe all
    mobile companies do. This was working fine up to two weeks ago when all of
    a sudden long texts would fail to go. After we made sure there was nothing
    wrong with the phone I contacted customer service who eventually said the
    problem was with O2 as we live in the North West and Meteor have a roaming
    agreement with O2 up here.I think Meteor are just trying to fob me off ,
    maybe its something to do with the fact that they are offering free text
    bundles at the moment so they block long texts, I don't know I'm just
    wondering what the story is in other parts of the country where Meteor have
    their own masts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I send messages over 160 characters regularly, never any problems sending, but there can be some bad delays with the second message arriving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Send them tice if your on free texts, its normal to do that. You get intot he habit of sending them twice eventually.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I suspect meteor are telling porkies on this one. The problem is probably their end. I regularly send multipart texts to Vodaphone UK nos and they arrive partial or garbled.

It may have something to do with the fact that their international texting was broken a coupla weeks ago.

If we both report it to customer care they may investigate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Well she is not on free texts because she has the 5 cent per minute deal and you can only have one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've had problems receiving long txts from either O2 or Voda, sending ok.
    Long txt would arrive partially and then within about 15secs, 'updating msg' appears on phone, then all the txt arrives.
    Its weird but i'm used to it now, hardly bothers me anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

gurramok wrote:
    I've had problems receiving long txts from either O2 or Voda, sending ok.
    Long txt would arrive partially and then within about 15secs, 'updating msg' appears on phone, then all the txt arrives.
    Its weird but i'm used to it now, hardly bothers me anymore!

Whats wrong with that? I'd be overjoyed with 15 seconds. It takes 4 or 5 minutes on my phone for a second part of a combined message to come through.

Also, anyone ever get a message, and its all a random load of jumbled symbols? This has happened me and my girlfriend about 4 or 5 times in the last few months. Not enough to actually warrant a complaint or anything, just rather odd.

Whats wrong with that? I'd be overjoyed with 15 seconds. It takes 4 or 5 minutes on my phone for a second part of a combined message to come through.

Also, anyone ever get a message, and its all a random load of jumbled symbols? This has happened me and my girlfriend about 4 or 5 times in the last few months. Not enough to actually warrant a complaint or anything, just rather odd.
    Never got garbled txts, they always arrive intact eventually :)

Long txt problems don't seem to happen on other networks.
    Before I was on Voda long time ago, used to receive long txts and they were ok, they always came in one go without the 'updating msg' thingy. Same with O2.
    Wonder is it a Meteor specific problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Well if you experience the problem when you're roaming on the O2 network then maybe it is a problem with O2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

Is their a way to write Long txt's from meteors, mymeteor's webpage.

As you can with O2 ?????

Any work around?

Slice wrote:
    Well if you experience the problem when you're roaming on the O2 network then maybe it is a problem with O2?

No i meant the following scenario without roaming(in ireland):

Sending a long txt from O2\Voda to Meteor sometimes arrives partially with a delay and then 15secs later, the full txt arrives.
    Sending a long txt from Meteor to O2/Voda sends ok fully.
    Sending a long txt from Voda to O2 and vice versa send/receive ok fully.

Has any meteor users experienced long txt problems when receiving these types of txts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Slice wrote:

No long texts go fine from here. Tried it from a friends O2 phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

gurramok wrote:
    Has any meteor users experienced long txt problems when receiving these types of txts?

Nope long ones come in fine. Just cant send them too well!

Its not a feature of your phone is it??? What is it?

Nokia 6210i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

gurramok wrote:
    Nokia 6210i
    Am I imagining it or aren't new phones capable of sending three texts as one text condensed? Concentrated Texting or sometime .. nevermind .. most likely a dream I had. I have problems with long texts not coming through if I open them too quickly :)

Advertisement