Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

3G phones.....

• 13-12-2005 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

If I buy a 6680 locked to vodafone....and put in my Ready to Go sim card I got a few years ago..

Will I still get all the 3g stuff. Whatever that might be :/ Like video phoning....

*doesn't know anything*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hmm, i think you have to go into the vodafone store and they'll port your number over to a new sim card.

i'm about as clueless as you on the subject but i think 3g needs a new sim card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

yeah your right Cremo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

yea...thought as much.

Em...I just realized the 6680 I got on eBay will be locked to the UK vodafone... will I have to unlock it to use it on the Irish network?

Will vodafone do that for me if I bring it to one of their shops or call them?:v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i doubt vodafone will unlock it for you, and if they'll then they'll rob you.

*EDIT* upon reading of the mobile unlocking sticky on this forum it seems these phones can only be unlocked by the networks as they are the only ones that have access to the unlocking codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Getting a UK 6680 unlocked is going to be a bit of a bugger I'm afraid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

crap... I didn't pay yet, but I won the bid.... do you think I should try to get out of it? :/

The guy listed it as
    Simlock:Vodafone

And I jumped at it without thinking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It will be a nightmare trying to get that unlocked I'm afraid. If its locked to Voda UK, Voda IE are not going to unlock it for you, so unless the guy you won it off is willing to get it unlocked, its going to be an expensive ornament for a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Cremo wrote:
    hmm, i think you have to go into the vodafone store and they'll port your number over to a new sim card.

You do not need to change SIM cards to use the 3G services with a 3G phone on Vodafone. All Vodafone SIMs work on the 3G network. Some older SIMs have problems in newer phones but this has nothing to do with 3G.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

BigMoose wrote:
    You do not need to change SIM cards to use the 3G services with a 3G phone on Vodafone. All Vodafone SIMs work on the 3G network. Some older SIMs have problems in newer phones but this has nothing to do with 3G.

You DO need a new sim card to use the 3G features,
    it is a different type of card which supports 3G

The old card will most likley work, but you will not be able to access 3G content and use the 3G network, the old card will use the 2.5g network.
    The guy listed it as

If it is locked to Voda UK you will not be able to use it here, not unlockable apart from getting the code form the Operator.
    Voda Irl prob will not give ya the code
    Although it is christmas....;)
    they might be nice to ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

You do not need a new SIM to use 3G content. The USIM or UMTS SIM was required when Vodafone did not have a prepaid 3G offering, it was used to ensure that only postpaid customers had access.
    Now all SIMs work on the 3G network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I have an old Eircell/Vodafone sim and it works in my 6680 with 3g as well as my new Vodafone sim.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I have an old Eircell/Vodafone sim and it works in my 6680 with 3g as well as my new Vodafone sim.

ok, my mistake:o

just was going from personal expierence

sorry lads

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Just changed from a Nokia 3310 to a Moto E770v 3G ..... the Voda man insisted that the old sim card could not be used in the new phone so he replaced it at zero cost .... I was able to retain the old Phone number .....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

hobie wrote:
    Just changed from a Nokia 3310 to a Moto E770v 3G ..... the Voda man insisted that the old sim card could not be used in the new phone so he replaced it at zero cost .... I was able to retain the old Phone number .....:rolleyes:
    Quite a step up right there! 3310, jaysus i havent used one of them in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

You can use the old sim cards in a 3g phone but they do not work as well as a new one. the new ones are 64k so they have a bigger capacity and function far better than the old ones. if anybody has an old sim card and they are getting a new phone i would advise that they get an update, it ensures less problems(as i have seen problems with old sim cards in new phones) and it also doesn't cost anything. the person in the store will transfer all the numbers on to the new sim card also. The total time that this takes is less than 2 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

DingChavez wrote:
    crap... I didn't pay yet, but I won the bid.... do you think I should try to get out of it? :/

The guy listed it as

And I jumped at it without thinking....

yes try to get rid of it. definitely. tell him you didn't realise he meant vodafone uk and im sure he'll be reasonable. he might even get it unlocked for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Or take the phone to a Nokia Service Centre, they can unlock your phone but they will charge you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'm not sure they will tbh. Have you got experience of that?

Quite a step up right there! 3310, jaysus i havent used one of them in years

Well I don't like rushing things!!!! ;)

:p

hehehe hobie the e770v any good? What size memory card and hoe much credit do you get with it? How the flash on the camera?

• Advertisement

hehehe hobie the e770v any good? What size memory card and hoe much credit do you get with it? How the flash on the camera?

32 in the sim and 64 in the flash card ..... mem card can go to 512 if u want

credit is 100.00 over 10 months (so the phone cost me 49.00 net - I payed top wack I think - some got it for much less on-line)

no flash - just a light which is very nice if you wana see what sort of gal you ended up with in a dark room :p

It's a nice enough phone but I wish the camera was of higher quality ..... anything I've down loaded onto my PC looks a bit rough when seen on a 17" screen but its fine on the phone
    iqlcew.gif

yeah ive heard people say the 1gb transflash will work but its not out in Eire yet. Where you get it for 49 euro? Bill pay is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

you can get the e770v for 109 euro readytogo online.nice phone with loads of memory,but the strange thing is it has no automatic keylock.major flaw in my opinion,have to hold down star button for 2 seconds before putting back my pocket.going to be making phonecalls i don't even know about :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

liamskater wrote:
    Where you get it for 49 euro? Bill pay is it?

Well, obviously he got it on pay as you go, otherwise he couldn't have got call credit. So 49€ net.

Yep ..... its 'ready to go' for me .... so 49.00 net :cool:

link for that?

link for that?

http://www.vodafone.ie/onlinestore/index.jsp;jsessionid=65C6F0A98AB2EECD97D94A58A2C39DD2

Mine cost me 149.00 with 100.00 credit ..... now its 109.00 with a 100.00 credit ..... Bugger !!!!

iypiys.gif

ah well i know where you got the 49 now then, but you cant just in and buy it without credit and get the money off.i might get it as a spare....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

DingChavez wrote:
    If I buy a 6680 locked to vodafone....and put in my Ready to Go sim card I got a few years ago..

Will I still get all the 3g stuff. Whatever that might be :/ Like video phoning....

*doesn't know anything*

Hey i have a V980 3G and i have the same sim card from 1998 !! no problems yet !!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

hobie wrote:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/onlinestore/index.jsp;jsessionid=65C6F0A98AB2EECD97D94A58A2C39DD2

Mine cost me 149.00 with 100.00 credit ..... now its 109.00 with a 100.00 credit ..... Bugger !!!!

iypiys.gif

I got mine for 99 with 100 credit and got one for herself for 109 with 100 credit. Due to hiccups registering hers she got a tenner credit so it worked out at 99 as well and she got it unlocked...

Advertisement