Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI TV-card work with NTL digital?

• 13-12-2005 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

Just wondering will this TV card enable my mate to view all his NTL digital stations on his PC....I'm presuming he'll need a booster but I'm just not into the whole TV technology so just need to make sure...
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Well it will but probably not in the way you think.

He will be able to take the output from his NTL digibox and input into either the s-video or Phono sockets on the card. However it will not work without the Digibox. He will also still have to change channel with the Digibox remote, unless it comes with an IR blaster like the windows media center remote does.

afaik there is no easy way to decode a digital cable transmission with out a digibox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You'll get the ntl: analogue channels only without the digibox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

jdempsey wrote:
    You'll get the ntl: analogue channels only without the digibox.
    So he'll get channels like UTV, BBC1 & 2 and Sky News/One yeh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Well yes ...but he could probably get the same effect with a new gx card and get better gaming as well. All he needs is a card that has a composite (phono) or S-video Input. Note most cards have S-Video out only

A card with All-In-Wonder or VIVO in the description should do the job.

Tbh if he wants ONLY to watch his digital ntl a TV tuner card would be a waste.

In either case he will get all the digital channels that he can get through his ntl digibox. But he wont be able to watch different programs on the main tv and the pc coz they both will be supplied from the digibox which is only able to tune 1 program at a time.

The best case scenario is that your mate keeps NTL digital on his TV and picks up NTL analogue though a splitter going to a TV card in his PC.

Bear in mind however that Chorus now switch off the analog feed (95% certain of this) when you go digital - its possible that NTL do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Bear in mind however that Chorus now switch off the analog feed (95% certain of this) when you go digital - its possible that NTL do the same.
    I have NTL Digital and I can still pick things up on my TV with the analog.

You'll need a booster box though or when you turn the analog TV on it'll knock off the digital signal for some reason.

That's assuming you're using the same wall connection for the digital and analog.

• Advertisement

Right my mate got it workin but he can only pick up a few stations....the RTEs and BBCs and one or two others....he can't get the station he wanted the PC card for ....Sky News.,.....anybody any ideas why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

fletch wrote:
    Right my mate got it workin but he can only pick up a few stations....the RTEs and BBCs and one or two others....he can't get the station he wanted the PC card for ....Sky News.,.....anybody any ideas why?
    Does he have analogue cable aswell? Maybe it'll work with just the cable plugged in (assuming he can pick up Sky News without his NTL box)

steveland? wrote:
    Does he have analogue cable aswell? Maybe it'll work with just the cable plugged in (assuming he can pick up Sky News without his NTL box)
    He has the cable plugged in alright....it's weird 'cause today I connected up a tv to the cable and it picked up Sky News.....verry annoying!

Advertisement