Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL connection problem

• 13-12-2005 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭

Hi people of the boards...

This could very well be a n00b question but i will ask it anyways.
    I got Ntl broadband installed today , the engineer came and did his thing and connected one of the pc's of the people in my house.
    I was then gonna setup a wireless connection for the rest of us.
    His pc connects as it should , plug in the ethernet cable from the ethernet port on the cable modem, dhcp picks up an address and whey hey , online.

Even before i set up the wireless :
    When i connect to the ethernet port (or any other laptop) , i dont get an address, (not online)

I have checked all firewall and Ethernet card settings ,

DOes NTL have some sort of MAc address filter (far fetched i know)
    or what am i doing wrong,
    Feedback or any kind , even if its sarky its appreciated....

Ed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

unplug the modem, connect to the other computer and plug the modem back in. it should work then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

thanks carrot cake , that solved my n00b question , you are now my best friend!!!

wireless working fine too , 5 days from phone call to surfing, well done NTL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah the NTL modem is a little bit pissy about what it connects to. I had looooads of hassle getting it to talk to routers and stuff because I just refused to follow the instructions and wait 2 minutes before connecting something new. Once I did the power cycle and waited a while it worked perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

yeah the whole refusal of reading the manual (RTFM) is a major problem with everyone , doesnt say in the manual that you have to do it or you may have problems with it being pissy though !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

your title is a bit mileading !

you had perfect connection it was a ROUTER issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I had the exact same problem, pulling my hair out for about 3 days trying to get the modem to work via a wireless router. After some helpful folks on boards.ie I was advised to plug out the power cable from the modem, hook up the ethernet cable to the router, wait a couple mins, power back on the modem and voila, 3 meg wireless heaven :) Now, waiting patiently for my new laptop from DELL.

TC

Advertisement