Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The provisional ignition

Options
  • 13-12-2005 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Is this worth doing?
    Basically i failed my driving test back in Sept. Im reapplying with an employers letter so i wont be waiting a year again hopefully.

I understand the provisional is run by Hibernian but they underwrite for a couple other companies/brokers like Tesco as far as i know. So, would mean i could use the ignition qualification with not just Hibernian directly but with tesco and some other broker(I forget name) hibernain underwrite?? :confused:

:confused: Also, the fee is refunded if i pass or fail? Can i do this course in Dundalk or would i have to travel up to Dublin.

Also, i have a good quote which im paying at the min, so is it worth my while doing the prov ignition or am i better off just waiting to hopefully pass my Full license. All i want is my full license really, but obviously if the prov ignition would help reduce my preiums whilst waiting would be good.

Has anyone here done the prov ignition and what company are you now insured with and did you get a worthwhile reduction? Was it the same reduction as if you had a full license?

Sorry bout the long post but i have a lot of questions. thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wavin

the fee isnt refunded if you pass, but it actually is a pretty basic test.all safety stuff.i did it and passed a few months ago (in cork).
    you have to have a 1.4L engine or less to qualify for it too.
    as for the brokers think theres a good few.britton insurance are i think, as well as sullivans in limerick.and others.i cant remember exactly how much i got off but it was either 23 or 25 % i think.it is the decrease you would get if you pass your full test.so if you do this and test and later pass your full test you dont get a discount.but theres another ignition that knocks another ~20% off you can do after getting your full liscence

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pretty much any broker for Hibernian will arrange the ignition test for you. You can get an online quote from Tesco to see what your premium would be if you did ignition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

This is the first I heard of a provisional ignition sounds good though, where can I find out more.??

watsgone wrote:
    This is the first I heard of a provisional ignition sounds good though, where can I find out more.??
    these are the guys that do the test

IAM Fleet
    Patricks Court
    Patrick Street
    Kilkenny
    Phone 056 777 1778

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

i found that I got a better quote with quinn direct with there offer rather then a quote with the hibernian ignition.

With quinn I was quoted 2500 for a 1.4 99 golf CL TPFT
    and that was reduced to 1800 if I done 25 driving lessons and got a letter to say that i did.

Best thing bout is was that my dad knows a driving instructor so he gave me the letter and i only done 10 lessons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

wavin wrote:
    the fee isnt refunded if you pass, but it actually is a pretty basic test.all safety stuff.i did it and passed a few months ago (in cork).
    you have to have a 1.4L engine or less to qualify for it too.
    as for the brokers think theres a good few.britton insurance are i think, as well as sullivans in limerick.and others.i cant remember exactly how much i got off but it was either 23 or 25 % i think.it is the decrease you would get if you pass your full test.so if you do this and test and later pass your full test you dont get a discount.but theres another ignition that knocks another ~20% off you can do after getting your full liscence

Yes it is refunded when you do it and you can have up to a 1.6L engine, I know because i done it last year and got my payment refunded and have just spoke to Hibernian yesterday about my renewal and was told that I only lose my discount if i go above a 1.6L enigine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

i found that I got a better quote with quinn direct with there offer rather then a quote with the hibernian ignition.

With quinn I was quoted 2500 for a 1.4 99 golf CL TPFT
    and that was reduced to 1800 if I done 25 driving lessons and got a letter to say that i did.

Best thing bout is was that my dad knows a driving instructor so he gave me the letter and i only done 10 lessons
    Considering your average driving lesson is now €30....those quotes are one in the same really

neacy69 wrote:
    Yes it is refunded when you do it and you can have up to a 1.6L engine, I know because i done it last year and got my payment refunded and have just spoke to Hibernian yesterday about my renewal and was told that I only lose my discount if i go above a 1.6L enigine
    for the provisional licence one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Neacy69's on about the full licence ignition,your not refunded cash either its just taken off your premium quote.

Afaik the provisional ignition gives you the same discount as you would recieve had you had a full licence,what id like to know is if they will further discount you should you pass your driving test two weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

eireal wrote:
    Neacy69's on about the full licence ignition,your not refunded cash either its just taken off your premium quote.

Afaik the provisional ignition gives you the same discount as you would recieve had you had a full licence,what id like to know is if they will further discount you should you pass your driving test two weeks later

i thought there was one you did on you provisional which gave you a discount up to a 1.4litre

and then one you could do if you had a full licence that gives a discount up to a 1.6 litre

and if you had done the provisional ignition then passed the real test and got your full licence you didnt get a discount unless you done the second ignition test.

thats what i was lead to believe anyway but i'm probably wrong cos i wasnt listening too much as i wasnt interested in doin the course at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

draffodx wrote:
    i thought there was one you did on you provisional which gave you a discount up to a 1.4litre

and then one you could do if you had a full licence that gives a discount up to a 1.6 litre

and if you had done the provisional ignition then passed the real test and got your full licence you didnt get a discount unless you done the second ignition test.

thats what i was lead to believe anyway but i'm probably wrong cos i wasnt listening too much as i wasnt interested in doin the course at all

sorry I was actually talking bout the full licence ignition course that one gives a refund back onto your credit card or off your premium and gives a discount as far as a 1.6L.....I really should read the thread titles more closely...anyway the full licenece ignition is a peice of piss so i'd imagine the provisional must be pretty similar. First half of day spent learning bout hazards and so on second half spent evaluating your driving and coaching in new skills....easy peasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

fletch wrote:
    Considering your average driving lesson is now €30....those quotes are one in the same really

but the thing is Ive only done 10 lessons and it cost me 250. The instructor gave me a letter stating ive done 25. and ill still have the discount next year when i renew my insurance.
    The discount equates to aout 1 years free no claims discount.

Advertisement