Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far would you copy a mannequin?

• 14-12-2005 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Have you or would you ever buy a complete outfit exactly as seen on a mannequin in a shop window (or maybe a model in a photoshoot)? Same top, bottom, and possibly accessories?

I saw a guy doing it on Paisean Faisean on TG4 once but I must say that I don't see myself doing it as it seems to take all the creativity out of dressing!

:v:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Sure I do it all the time, the people who design them know what goes with what imo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I usualy just undress the mannequin and go straight to the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Never, tbh. Some combinations that you see in windows are fairly wuk. Though, I can see why men would do it. A whole outfit in one easy step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

dont have the money!! anyway i usually prefer my own combination..mannequins tend to be too fashiony..

Loads of customers in work do it though, they basically ask you to get whole outfit in their size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Never.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Some outfits on mannequins are really well put together, others are a bit too metro or "geek chic" for my liking (two quite big trends atm).

That said, the people who put the clothes on the mannequins should know what they're doing, the majority have college qualifications(at least all the ones I work with have a fashion/design degree).
    Imagine spending your days dressing mannequins....what a sh1t job after 3+ years of colllege.

To answer the question, no I haven't bought a full outfit that I'd seen on a mannequin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No, never did it. Never really occurred to me to do it. I've bought individual items that I've seen on manequins though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I have copied a manequin a few times. But, being a guy accessories don't come into it.

The last time - I was working, and just happened to be walking through a shopping centre. Seen a manequin in the window - liked what I seen - tried it on - looked amazing on me - bought it and left. Total time to buy new clothes - 10 minutes.

Otherwise it's just a combination of shirt/tie or something simple.

If I like what I see I'll generally go with it.

It makes shopping so much less painful than having to go for hours, trying to find something nice from the rack, then having to go to another to get something to match.

My ideal shop- a row of manequins, each displaying a different combination. So much easier, so much less painful to shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

no, though i have twice physically taken clothes off the mannequin because that was the only one left in my size, hehe.
    staff weren;t too impressed, in hindsight i probably should have asked them first before knocking stuff over....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Seraphina wrote:
    staff weren;t too impressed, in hindsight i probably should have asked them first before knocking stuff over....

I don't blame them, those mannequins cost a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i didn't break anything i swear!
    i only knocked a pile of jumpers or something, there was no damage, i'm crafty i am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

No never

sometimes I get ideas about mixing and matching from manequins but I dont think Ive ever seen one where Ive liked every item on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

All the way baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

i did once but it was completely unintentional... bought an outfit, walked by a shop a week or so later and it had pretty much exactly the same thing on the mannequin! that was a few years ago, id never copy from a mannequin cuz 1]expensive and 2]it takes your own style away from what your wearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I often buy one item I see on a mannaquin, because you get a good idea of what it looks like being worn, rather than a rail. I don't like spending a lot of time trying on clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Most of the time, I like the outfit ensembles they have on the mannequin. I've never thought to go pick out *everything* it's wearing and buy it... that would get... rather expensive... haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

If iliked it I'd buy it all probably because i'm very un fashionable though

Advertisement