Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AFI's Top 10 Shows Of The Year - do we agree / disagree?

• 14-12-2005 1:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

Reported on AintItCoolNews.com here!
    LOS ANGELES, Dec. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- The American Film Institute (AFI) today announced the official selections of AFI AWARDS 2005, AFI's almanac which records the year's most outstanding achievements in film and television, as well as significant moments in the world of the moving image.

AFI TV PROGRAMS OF THE YEAR -- OFFICIAL SELECTIONS
    BATTLESTAR GALACTICA
    DEADWOOD
    GREY'S ANATOMY
    HOUSE
    LOST
    RESCUE ME
    SLEEPER CELL
    SOMETIMES IN APRIL
    VERONICA MARS

Do we agree / disagree?...

I for one have got a pressing question for them: WHERE THE SWEET F*CK IS 'PRISON BREAK' AND 'ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT'?

Would agree with some of the picks above: have been enjoying 'Lost', 'Veronica Mars' and 'Grey's Anatomy' very much this year! But would have been nice to see 'Arrested Development' get some recognition with the impending cancellation and also 'Prison Break' for being the most under-rated and under-mentioned show of the year (find it suprising AICN.com never seem to have talkbacks / news for it).

Heard 'Sleeper Cell' is very good - only started a week or two back in America but apparently a very short series which they're airing a couple of times a week so the first series will probably conclude soon - anyone seen it?

PS - never heard of 'Sometime in April' - anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

24 definitely shouldn't be up there. It was truly woeful this year. It should be shot. Out of a cannon into the sun. I haven't seen most of the programmes listed there, so I'm going to go for Lost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been watching Sleeper Cell. It only started last week and they're up to episode 6 already. Good adult drama (its on showtime, so there is violence and swearing). Enjoyable stuff so far. I like it alot.

As for your list, where the f**k is Prison Break? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Yeah prison break should must certainly be there.
    Pleased to see veronica mars upon that list, lost is a no brainer of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Havnt seen any of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

24 crap
    BATTLESTAR GALACTICA fantastic
    DEADWOOD never got into it
    GREY'S ANATOMY never seen
    HOUSE never seen
    LOST really good
    RESCUE ME never seen
    SLEEPER CELL never seen
    SOMETIMES IN APRIL never seen
    VERONICA MARS fantastic

my fav is battlestar, this season was/is amazing
    pity prison break isnt there as it is really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Very suprised to see that 24 is there and Prison Break isn't.

BSG and Deadwood are fantastic shows. Actually, the American Film Institute (AFI) awards sounds like a prestigious shebang. So for BSG to get on that list must be a first for a show of its type (a scifi show on cable), no?

I have the first 8 episodes of House. Have watched the first 2 episodes and think it's so-so. Can someone tell me if it gets any better or is that it?

I see AFI's best 10 Films of the Year contains A History of Violence - most overrated film of the year, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

House is very good too. Characters are developed nicely. Worth sticking with it if you can see it. As it's on Five or Hallmark here I'd say that the ratings mght be fairly low.

Far superior than the new series of ER that's just started.

"Get me the paddles stat!"
    "Leave it, the horse is dead. Stop flogging it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

24 (Day 1 and 2 where good, Day 3 was OK, and Day 4 was plain annoying, hopefully Lisp dude and shy girl will be killed of in Day 5)
    BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (Good special effects, but that seemed to be to only reason to watch)
    DEADWOOD (Looks good)
    GREY'S ANATOMY (TV3 have it I beleive)
    HOUSE (RTE have it)
    LOST (It has to win)
    RESCUE ME (Looks good, it about the NYFD yeah?)
    SLEEPER CELL (Don't know it)
    SOMETIMES IN APRIL (Don't know it)
    VERONICA MARS (Haven't seen it)
    House is very good too. Characters are developed nicely. Worth sticking with it if you can see it. As it's on Five or Hallmark here I'd say that the ratings mght be fairly low.

Into its second series, when will you start showing this RTE.
    "Get me the paddles stat!"
    "Leave it, the horse is dead. Stop flogging it."

NBC need something. :D I missed it on sunday. But they change the Sam's Son for a follow on episode???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

actually i remember rescue me now, its crap

elmo have you seen any of bsg's second season?? really good story & character development is very good

check out veronica mars its very good (once you get past the first few throwaway episodes/storys & get into the main story arc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

elmo have you seen any of bsg's second season?? really good story & character development is very good

No has it started over here yet. Perhaps I was only commenting on what I saw in the first series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Really enjoyed the first season of 'Rescue me.' It's similar to 'the job' in many
    ways even using some of the same actors and the same writers, Leary and
    Tolan. Looking forward to seeing the new season whenever it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

24 (season 4 sucked...shouldn't be here)
    BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (Never seen it)
    DEADWOOD (Good show,season 2 not as good as 1 though)
    GREY'S ANATOMY (Brillaint show,really surprised me)
    HOUSE(never seen it)
    LOST (Come on...what else can I say but amazing? :D)
    RESCUE ME(Havn't seen season2,but the first season was very good.)
    SLEEPER CELL(Never even heard of it)
    SOMETIMES IN APRIL (See above)
    VERONICA MARS (Brillaint show,love it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Grey's Anatomy is very good.

Deadwood (Season 2) is not as good as Season 1. (That whole gleet subplot was silly.)

Veronica Mars is dead last in the ratings over here. Expect it's cancellation in the spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Veronica Mars is dead last in the ratings over here. Expect it's cancellation in the spring.
    The series' first season received low ratings and was consistently last in its time slot. And Rob Thomas has said the ratings have definantly improved since last season.

According to the Nielsen ratings.. it's outperforming the following in the ratings (to name just a few): Supernatural, Gilmore Girls, Malcolm In The Middle, Bernie Mac, One Tree Hill.

Its not outperforming Supernatual,thats for sure. It has had an average of about 4.5 million viewers,compared to Veronica's 3.2-3.5million. But it is doing better than all thos others it mention.

Also its ratings last year were about an average of 2 million and it got renewed,it has grown by more than 50% since then. I think (and should hope) UPN give it a 3rd season in the hope that it will continue to grow.

And besides,its ratings have nothing to do with how good a show is,and thats what this list is about. If it was about ratings American Idol would be classed as an amazing show :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

tvnutz wrote:
    Its not outperforming Supernatual,thats for sure. It has had an average of about 4.5 million viewers,compared to Veronica's 3.2-3.5million. But it is doing better than all thos others it mention.
    I found the Top 100 ratings for last week somewhere and it definantly ranked both the airing of Supernatural on Tuesday (and the repeat on Sunday) a couple of places below Veronica Mars.

Maybe it was just a bad week for 'Supernatura'l!

OT: ... i, for one, am sick to death of the show!

I like Supernatural,its good.By no means brilliant,but enjoyable.

Supernatural hasn't had a new episode in a few weeks so those ratings you saw were probably from a repeat.

Mediaweek is the best place for ratings FYI :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Isn't MitM running on Friday night repeats right now too? Just to point that out...

NoelRock wrote:
    Isn't MitM running on Friday night repeats right now too? Just to point that out...

yes,but VM has about the same ratings as it. And VM is up against Lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Bah, 4400 should have been in there. An excellent second season, not sure how it did in terms of ratings though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

sweetie wrote:
    Really enjoyed the first season of 'Rescue me.' It's similar to 'the job' in many
    ways even using some of the same actors and the same writers, Leary and
    Tolan. Looking forward to seeing the new season whenever it arrives.

I really enjoyed series 2. Tommy is a really interesting character and there are some shocking highs and lows in the new series. I assume that TV3 will be showing it after Xmas.

I also have been watching Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 24 & VM. I haven't seen any of the others but I would agree that Prison Break should be there instead of 24.

Advertisement