Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

off-road bike for tall rider

• 14-12-2005 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

can anyone recommend an off-road bike thats good for a beginner? im 6'7" so whats the best to go for (second-hand preferably). is 250cc too big to start with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What sort of off-road bike are you talking about?
    Street-legal? Motocross? Enduro? Big Trailie?
    a 250cc 4T would be a good start for a beginner maybe a XR250 if you want a street legal bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

My Suzuki DRZ400S :-) its really tall (with its offroad wheels on), far taller than my XT600 or DR250 and just happens to be for sale !.

Like said above, depends on the type of off-roader you are after. The DRZ/WR/XR family will be taller than the DR/XT/XL range, the monster off road bikes like XRV/Strom/Varadero/GS etc are a different thing altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

DRZ400S is hardly a beginners bike.

Nope, but it is for sale :-) worth a shot, but not legal on a restricted license anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 marcos172

i'd want a street-legal bike anyway, i guess i suggested the off-road bikes because the engine sizes are good enough for a novice and the those bikes are pretty tall, which i obviously need. so you reckon the honda xr250? any idea what insurance is like on those? i'm 22, if that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

marcos172 wrote:
    can anyone recommend an off-road bike thats good for a beginner? im 6'7" so whats the best to go for (second-hand preferably). is 250cc too big to start with?

The best ones to go for would be something like A suzuki DR800 or honda africa twin if you're not on a restricted licence and just need a super tall bike. Thos two i mentioned wouldnt exactly be light and nimble though, more suited as very versatile go anywhere tourers or for crossing deserts, but the are hugely tall so good for a man of your height.

I used to ride an old '81 honda Xl 500 a bit and im 6ft 4" and it was totally fine for me anyway height-wise. Cant reslly advise properly anyway because you didnt say what licence you got or what you want bike for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

aha, while i was feckn around tryin to spell check my message you got back on. In that case youre stuck with 33bhp limited licence so it'll either be on old honda or yamaha 500 from like the 70s or 80s or a 250

The DR350 is also learner legal. Dont make em anymore but there are still a few about.

As for insurance, call AON/AXA or Carole Nash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

marcos172 wrote:

I was reading last week's (I know - I like to keep up to date ;) ) Motors section from the Irish Times yesterday and in it they reviewed the BMW 650GS Dakar which also comes in a restricted version. The price listed was €9700 so it might be a little out of the butget but it sounded like a stonking good machine. They actually use it for the Paris-Dakar.
    Maybe you could pick up a second hand older one (not Dakar version though) and have it "restricted"???

L.

Advertisement