Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looks like Keane is off to Celtic

• 14-12-2005 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

It is in the Sun that Keane is definitely joining Celtic but that paper is to be taken with a pinch of salt. Whats not to be taken with a pinch of salt imo is this:

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=15691&mainheading=Republic+of+Ireland&viewstory=yes
    soccercentral.ie has learned that Roy Keane is set to join Celtic in the coming days.

It is understood that Keane who departed Manchester United last month and linked with a move to either Real Madrid, Bolton or Everton made the decision some days ago.

Our source contacted us earlier this evening (Tuesday) providing the information and we followed up the lead confirming it with a secondary source.

Last week his agent, Michael Kennedy confirmed that Roy was in discussion with the Glasgow giants saying "There have been talks with lots of clubs - including Celtic. Roy has one or two more clubs still to see and there will be a decision during the course of next week."

More to follow...........
    Soccercentral were the first people to break the Keane leaving Saipan story.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i'd much prefer to see him at Celtic than Madrid. At Madrid there is always the chance that he might not get his game in the toughest league in the world and then become a bit of a let down but he should still be able to dominate in Scotland for a season or two at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I can see the marketing ploy right now...

"Keane 32" on backs of jerseys everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

On 5 Live this morning they had this story as well. But they also mentioned that Bolton have said they have not given up hope as they have the advantage of being able to offer him European Football, they have confirmed he is eligible for the UEFA Cup.

- sounds incorrect to me, I'm pretty sure Keane played against Debrecen in the CL qualifiers, which surely rules him out of all European football for the year...

- sounds incorrect to me, I'm pretty sure Keane played against Debrecen in the CL qualifiers, which surely rules him out of all European football for the year...

No, he would be eligible to play for Bolton in the UEFA Cup.
    "The Uefa Cup is regarded as a separate competition at this stage," confirmed a Uefa spokesman.

"If Keane chooses Bolton he could play for them but if went to Real then he could not play for them in Europe this season."

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

As long as he doesnt go to Madrid I dont really mind where he goes. I just really hate those fascist b@stards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

j22 wrote:
    As long as he doesnt go to Madrid I dont really mind where he goes. I just really hate those fascist b@stards.

Madrid are facists? thats a new one to me.Any sort of explanation and I think you should read the charter. Ban a coming

Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at groups of fans or sports personalities people will not be tolerated. We reserve the right to edit/move/delete such posts as we see fit and issue bans to the poster of such. The basic rule is keeping it civil; you can have friendly banter without resorting to personal abuse.

I don't think he was ever going to Madrid, he has a big family and settled in UK. San was talking about it last week and he hoped he had an advantage because if he joined Bolton he wouldn't have to move. Everton thought the same. Still could see him moving there because he woulkd be handy for him. I can't see his family moving for what could be just one season to glasgow. If he goes to Glasgow I think Keane will move up and his family will stay in Manchester area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Did Roy not sell his house to Nicky Butt?

Not that I heard, he is still living in same house with same dog as last World Cup. I know it well from Sky News sitting outside it week in week out. Was some footballer going on last week that he lives in same street or something, cant remember who

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

he did yeah, he's currently renting back off NB, I personally would like to see him at Celtic or Bolton, i wouldnt like to see a hero of mine fade away in spain and sit on the bench for most of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I can see the marketing ploy right now...

"Keane 32" on backs of jerseys everywhere.
    I think i'm going to cry! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

can just picture it now, keano's first tackle in an old firm game on barry ferguson and he picks up a yellow:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Big Nelly wrote:
    Madrid are facists? thats a new one to me.Any sort of explanation and I think you should read the charter. Ban a coming

In History Madrid where the team of Franco, the facist dictator of Spain. He had a major involvment with them and opressed Barca fans and Catalans in general.
    There is a great BBC documentary about facist infulences is 1930's European football, can't remember the name though.

As for Keane, he may well go to Bolton on a 6 moth deal and see how they get on in Europe and perhaps clich 4th place for CL the following season, if they do not however he may go to Celtic in the summer cos they are vrery likely to have CL qualification at the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

i knew he would go to celtic he can still live in manchester if he wants and doesten have to uproot his family to a country with a new lanuage to learn glad he is off to the celts the man is a living legend

he is cup tied

he is cup tied anyway celtic all the way

chiller wrote:
    he is cup tied

Only for the Champions League, not for the UEFA Cup, as I have already stated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/4526940.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

ziggy67 wrote:
    I think it would be bang out of order if he commuted- no other player would be allowed to do this & neither should they. If he isn't committed to living in or around Glasgow he should go somewhere else.
    Didn't Gazza commute to Rangers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Big Nelly wrote:
    Don't be so hastey with that ban. It is well known that Madrid have been the State supported team since the Franco era and were heavily associated with the fascists in the Spanish civil war.
    I saw all this on a programme called "Football and Fascism".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Don't be so hastey with that ban. It is well known that Madrid have been the State supported team since the Franco era and were heavily associated with the fascists in the Spanish civil war.
    I saw all this on a programme called "Football and Fascism".
    are they still fascists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

fas·cism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fshzm)
    n.
    often Fascism
    a. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
    b. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.

2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

Is it actually possible for a football club in this day and age to be Fascists?

Definition number 2 maybe, due to the overbearing control the Chairman has?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

BBC Scotland are confident he will sign for celtic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/4526940.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

long time no see to all

dont want him to sign for the tic personally, not the team ive loved and went to see all my life.

As for taking keane over balde for being a "liability" i find that rather ironic given the reason hes actually up for the taking and i'd play balde anyday of the week over him. Hes to old, and imo past it, not the kind of thing celtic needs to be relying on a player of the past when im sure if they scouted out some talent they could come up with something better than a over the hill MF.

Preparing to get slagged off by all the keano diehards but in all honesty im saying what i think, and there is no doubting keane was a absoloutley fantastic player in his day, but its just that... this aint "his day" and never will be again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It looks like Keane is going to Celtic, as long as Dermot Desmond is putting in his extra private money to pay for his wage top-up. There is still some ironing out to do in the deal by all accounts but if there is enough will on both sides, it will happen. It is not yet a done deal however and there are other English clubs still in the mix which are being bargained against.

There are several snags for Celtic. This is not a deal being pushed by Strachan. This is being pushed by some of the club owners. Strachan will be far from perfectly happy with that. Also, the Celtic system is reasonably happy these days as it is. Bringing in a player with a lot of "baggage" as Roy has, may upset the apple cart. There may be at times some short-term benefit, perhaps, but there may be long term fallout, problems with other players, etc.

In general, I would agree with the footballing brains of Celtic present and past, that this is a deal that should not go ahead, it introduces risk. It may sell some extra shirts for a while. Roy may be able to show Man U where to stick it, especially as Ferguson is no fan of Celtic, thats for sure, to get a trophy and to play out his career in testimonial fashion. Also, with such a good link in with the Owners, there may be a leg-in for him in the training, coaching aspect and also to management. And Roy will relish playing in a Celtic shirt, with its links to Ireland, etc.

But will it be a case of everything working out and riding into the sunset? For Celtic's sake I would hope so. Maybe it ill happen, but with Roy, there is a possibility that something will go wrong.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

press conf called for 1:30 by celtic.done deal id say

Roy Keane has completed his move to Celtic by signing an 18-month deal.

Keane, who ended his Manchester United career last month by 'mutual consent', was linked with Real Madrid earlier this week.

But, when the Spanish giants cooled their interest in the 34-year-old Irishman, Celtic seized their chance.

Keane's deal is believed to be worth £40,000 a week, with Parkhead majority shareholder Dermot Desmond reported to be paying for half of it.

Confirmed!!

Its a done deal according to RTE:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/1215/keaner.html

Celtic are paying him 20k a week and Dermot Desmond is paying him an additional 20k a week, and Roy gets an 18 mth deal that takes him to June 2007, after which he will retire from playing.

It will seem strange to see Roy in a Celtic shirt, something that I would have welcomed in 1993, but now after recent falling out with players and managers alike at Ireland and at Man U, it remains to be seen how it affects other players and Strachan. A lot will depend on his attitude, how he holds his tongue, and whether he works with or against individuals.

A new chapter opens in Roy's carerre ..... there will likely be another twist.

redspider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 2Tagz

redspider wrote:
    Its a done deal according to RTE:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/1215/keaner.html

Celtic are paying him 20k a week and Dermot Desmond is paying him an additional 20k a week, and Roy gets an 18 mth deal that takes him to June 2007, after which he will retire from playing.

It will seem strange to see Roy in a Celtic shirt, something that I would have welcomed in 1993, but now after recent falling out with players and managers alike at Ireland and at Man U, it remains to be seen how it affects other players and Strachan. A lot will depend on his attitude, how he holds his tongue, and whether he works with or against individuals.

A new chapter opens in Roy's carerre ..... there will likely be another twist.

redspider

..will it be a case of him giving it six months then we'll be hearing stuff like; "Just because you are paid £10,000-a-week and play well for 20 minutes against Dunfermline, you think you are a superstar," :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Desmond must be very determined to get Hearts their first title in 45 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

ziggy67 wrote:
    I wouldn't be too happy if he came TBH, he is too old & could be a disruptive influence (i would love to see his face when he walked into Barrowfield, Celtic's "training" ground, it is a kip!)

Celtic are spending £10M on a new training ground & youth academy at the moment.

Pigman II, yer jealous:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Desmond is starting to really get involved with the fans now. For ages they were moaning about him not putting money in. He says he just ignores them but he has now put £15m into a share issue and paying around half of Keane's wages. Check out his letter on the CSA website:

http://www.celticsupporterassoc.co.uk/

He really hates the press. :)

McGeady/Maloney - Petrov - Keane - Nakamura.

That is some bloody midfield. Captain Lennon won't be dropped though. I like him and all but he's the weakest link and if playing him means forcing Petrov onto the right I'd have to drop Lennon. Naka has been absolutely top class this season. A joy to watch. As has Maloney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Dempsey wrote:
    Pigman II, yer jealous:D

Jealous of Desmonds cash? Definetly.
    Jealous of the supporters of any team with RMK in it? Definetly not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

This is great news. As a Celtic fan I am very happy.

• Advertisement

For those with SSN I think this press conference is on Sky News. Starts at 1.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Time to get a Rangers jersey ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

eirebhoy wrote:
    Desmond is starting to really get involved with the fans now. For ages they were moaning about him not putting money in. He says he just ignores them but he has now put £15m into a share issue and paying around half of Keane's wages. Check out his letter on the CSA website:

http://www.celticsupporterassoc.co.uk/

He really hates the press. :)

McGeady/Maloney - Petrov - Keane - Nakamura.

That is some bloody midfield. Captain Lennon won't be dropped though. I like him and all but he's the weakest link and if playing him means forcing Petrov onto the right I'd have to drop Lennon. Naka has been absolutely top class this season. A joy to watch. As has Maloney.

I read that a while ago. He has put in alot of money into the club before the latest share issue(he's contributing £10M of the £15M according to celticfc.net, the cost of the training ground & youth academy) He doesnt get the credit he deserves when he does the right thing and get absolutely slated for small mistakes or arguable decisions.

Lennon being the new captain is the only thing keeping him in the team IMO. He playing well without being exceptional. He should be dropped for better players, Thompson & Varga were

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Think it is a bad move for Celtic tbh. Keane is past it at this stage and just cant get around the pitch as much. He still has fantastic leadership qualities on the pitch but this could just lead to him disrupting the Celtic team, more than likely club captain Neil Lennon will be dropped. Keane is too much of a disroptive force and I doubt many of the Celtic players will appreciate being criticised by Keane which if we are honest will more than likely happen.

DOnt think this is a good move for Celtic

redspider wrote:
    Celtic are paying him 20k a week and Dermot Desmond is paying him an additional 20k a week,

They just said that that's not true. You can watch it now on the BBC website.

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ah I can't wait to see Ferguson and Keane battle it out in an old firm derby. Anyone that reckons Keane is past it obviously doesn't watch too much Scottish football he has more ability than 99% of players in the Scottish League. I personally don't like Keane but I know he is still a great player and I'm certain his ability and experience can only help Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

jaysus, if he thought the players at manyoo were poor, hes going to get a shock when he hits celtic!

must be the highest wages offer he got.

keano will be the best player up in scotland and by some way imo. Great deal for celtic but how are they gonna to fit him in alongside lennon? I know keane is far better but Lennon is Captain and a crowd favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I was hoping he would sign for Real Madrid. Hope he does good at Celtic, i'm sure he will.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Think it is a bad move for Celtic tbh. Keane is past it at this stage and just cant get around the pitch as much. He still has fantastic leadership qualities on the pitch but this could just lead to him disrupting the Celtic team, more than likely club captain Neil Lennon will be dropped. Keane is too much of a disroptive force and I doubt many of the Celtic players will appreciate being criticised by Keane which if we are honest will more than likely happen.

DOnt think this is a good move for Celtic
    Just because he didn't get around much at Man Utd doesn't mean he can't. I thought I detected a hint from Keane to Strachan to give him more of a free role. He said the last few seasons at Man U he's been confined to the holding role and and he would happily accept a license to get forward.
    jaysus, if he thought the players at manyoo were poor, hes going to get a shock when he hits celtic!

must be the highest wages offer he got.
    Go away troll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

mchurl wrote:
    keano will be the best player up in scotland and by some way imo. Great deal for celtic but how are they gonna to fit him in alongside lennon? I know keane is far better but Lennon is Captain and a crowd favourite.

lol. my mum would be a great player in scotland.

if i could get 45k a week for pulling on some old green and white jersey, id do it too.
    its not as if he is going to be under much pressure to do much either.

I've seen his mum, and it's true, she could. Great player.

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    They just said that that's (ie: 20k + 20k top-up) not true. You can watch it now on the BBC website.

Its a type of thing that should remain under-wraps and would be denied. From a Celtic FC point of view, they were adamant at keeping Roy within the pay structure, not to rock the boat, etc. Roy will maintain that he is at Celtic for the challenge, and not for the money, which is true of course. He is not on 80k a week, thats for sure, and 40k a week would be a sizeable come-down. 20k would be a lot.

Dermot Desmond will deny the 20k top-up, so it is only based on rumour and will remain likely so, unless someone leaks a document to the press and I have yet to see a players ootballing contract in a newspaper or website.

There is nothing to indicate that such a 20k top-up wouldn't happen though and it seems to fit the bill nicely, suiting Celtic, Roy Keane and Dermot Desmond. Desmond might also pay Roy in a different way, with property or what not, and some of these inner dealings are only known by inside accountants and solicitors. Roy relies heavily on his solicitor/agent/friend Kennedy, perhaps too much to many and to me, but I'm sure Roy is being well looked after in comparison to other players at Celtic.

Whatever about the money situation, lets see what Roy does on the field and for the squad/club, etc.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

http://img37.exs.cx/img37/3996/ugly9.jpg

keano 16 go on the boy!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement