Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish Band of all time

Options
  • 14-12-2005 3:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Mickey Joe Harte for defo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Aslan

no need for this thread to exist now that we all know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

Aslan would have and could have been so much bigger if its lead singer had put more time into developing his very unusual yet extraordinary singing voice. Should have stayed away from the smack.

Best Irish band has to be obviously U2. I know some here may not like U2, but how many people abroad have heard of Aslan? And who else do we have that fits in to the "...of all time" part of the question? Sultans of Ping?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

The Beatles of course... Lennon? McCartney? Harisson?
    Irish man, Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Old Scratch. It says so on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ash......i dont care if theyre from N.Ireland
    U2 and The Cranberries are great too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

jerryadams wrote:
    And who else do we have that fits in to the "...of all time" part of the question?

Simple really. Thin Lizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

jerryadams wrote:
    Aslan would have and could have been so much bigger if its lead singer had put more time into developing his very unusual yet extraordinary singing voice. Should have stayed away from the smack.

Best Irish band has to be obviously U2. I know some here may not like U2, but how many people abroad have heard of Aslan? And who else do we have that fits in to the "...of all time" part of the question? Sultans of Ping?

*shoots jerryadams for liking U2*

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

Stars of Heaven, microdisney, undertones, horslips, sorry I'm not picking one

funk-you wrote:
    *shoots jerryadams for liking U2*
    shoots him again just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

The Saw Doctors.
    Just because they are not "cool" does not make them any less than great.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

Kingp35 wrote:
    Simple really. Thin Lizzy

Smartest thing said on this thread. Great band. Also popularity would not indicate best, by that definition that disgrace to music 'The Crazy Frog' would have made a good album! I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The Nolans

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Teller

The 4 Of Us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Thin lizzy (Phil Lynotts was my second cousin **** yall'!) or U2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

As I writhe here in pain and watch my life's blood slowly drain from my dying body... I once again say:

U2.

See you in heav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

Everyone knows Lizzy were the best band to ever come out of Ireland. Fu(k U2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

This thing about Ireland....a band starts out and everyone thinks they're brilliant...then however they sell millions of albums, become big outside this country, sorry...huge...and then it's no longer cool to like them, rather you must begin to call them crap.

U2 are the best band to come out of Ireland, that's a fact, so stop trying to be cool by saying they're crap tbh and shit like that unless you're prepared to back up your argument on a decent foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

I only said fu(k U2 because I think Lizzy need to be recognized as the best band to come out of Irealand! I was only messing, I do like U2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

My Bloody Valentine, Whipping Boy, Frank and Walters

U2 are overrated. Nobody should slag them just because they're successful, but at the same time people shouldn't be afraid to say a bad thing about them just because everyone loves them and thinks they're gods.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yup, Thin Lizzy, or perhaps Rory Gallagher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

Gallagher, what a legend. What a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

Thin Lizzy definitely. If you don't agree you need to do some research. Start with Jailbreak....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

U2 FTW!

(was this topic posted on GameFAQs by someone here?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

My Bloody Valentine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Does anyone remember Lir? They were around in the early-mid 90s. They are one of the best bands Iv listened to but they didn't make it too big. Deserved a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

while he aint a band, he's played with The Band (The Last Waltz), and im shocked to see nobody has metioned Mr Van Morrison. Also not quite a band but up there with the Irish greats, Sinead O'Connor, if you can look past her excentrisities (spelt very wrong) She is easely the best Female artist to come out of Ireland. And I tthink she rocks.

Ahh yes I used to be in a Techno band called Hastis when i was a wee sprite, toured with the mighty scooter, so Hastis obviously.

U2 are the best band to come out of Ireland, that's a fact, so stop trying to be cool by saying they're crap tbh and shit like that unless you're prepared to back up your argument on a decent foundation.

U2 one of the worlds most sucessful bands ever, they are huge, been around forever, and sold googles, reputedly the dead rise and the sick are cured when they play ..................................and by now a global product. Everywhere I turn theres u2 floggin something or saving the whales. Seriously though, mo3 players, movies, movie soundtrack, human rights, Debt cancellation, environmental issues, being celebs, hoteliers and on and on. For FFS its a bit much, forget to mention they are never off the radio. How many singles from the last/current album (5/6?) By now its well established 26 yr old product and very sucessful product at that. Jesus H, elvis changed the world with a handful of singles, the beatles only recorded for approx 7/8 years
    Briefly put its bloody overkill and no matter "good" a band is, that sort of profile elevates them from being a group of musicians to join the likes of coke, disney, britney, whitney, elvis, kleenex, amex. Just another brand,

I hope its clearer as to why I factor out u2 when posting a response.
    Sinead, van, rory, our daniel and the rest of the irish music establshment have to be considered outside of the u2 shadow.

On further consideration the reynolds girls were the hounds testicles of irish music

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Without his effects pedals The Edge would be working in a factory somewhere.

Berkeley are the best Irish band ever imo. I don't expect anyone to agree, but I don't particularly care either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

The Fatima Mansions, Microdisney and Bubonique.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement