Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish Band of all time

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think Clannad, Enya, The Waterboys amongst others deserve a mention. There are also a tonne of trad bands that kick ass, they are kind of all over the place (not any specific band) so can't really be classed as a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Brother A

In 'all time', or at least before we become the 51st state, I think U2 might not come to be as important as Hoovers and Sledgehammers. (http://artists.cpu.ie/bands/68/)

-Brother Nostrodamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

The Stars of Heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Much as I love Whipping Boy they only had one truly great album - Heartworm - and I find it hard to describe them as the best Irish band of all time. U2 have a huge body of great work from the eighties and first half of the nineties behind them. It's impossible to compare the two.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Without his effects pedals The Edge would be working in a factory somewhere.

Without his amplifier Jimi Hendrix would have been unheard of as a guitar player.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

The Commitments!!
    Mickah Wallace was the best drummer ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

U2

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

U2 are the biggest Irish band ever without doubt, but besides the odd song or two per album, they're a very average band. The only reason they're so big is the US market, similiar to the Corrs success. Longevity doesn't mean good. My Bloody Valentine only had 2 albums, both p*ss all over any U2 album. Same with Heartworm by Whipping Boy. They're all average musicians. Bono has a good voice, granted. Good management, marketing etc. has worked for them.

Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree are strong pretty much from start to end. There are more than one or two good songs on most of their albums. I think their recent releases are colouring peoples' views of their earlier work.

I recently stuck Loveless back on and honestly I can only listen to four or five songs on it.

I'm not saying that U2 are the best band to come out of Ireland but I think some of the off hand comments about them and claims that the Edge is an average musician are false, that's all.

Do The Pogues count as an Irish band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

The Undertones, or possibly The Boomtown Rats

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Earthhorse wrote:
    Without his amplifier Jimi Hendrix would have been unheard of as a guitar player.

Fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Whipping boy, My bloody Valentine, Thin Lizzy
    Nobody mentioned HorseLips!?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

The Stunning or Thin Lizzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

HorseLips
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dilly1

not much to choose from really, very little talent.

I reckon it would have to be between U2 and Thin Lizzy
    seeing as Bono is still alive, he wins

(of course this is just best Band not individual artist)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

U2 followed by Thin Lizzy.
    Speaking of solo artists, you would also have to include Van Morrison and Rory Gallagher. And Dickie Rock :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

U2 for definite.....
    Thin Lizzy a close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

What about Who's Eddie?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Earthhorse wrote:

Ironically, neither would U2, Van Morrison, The Boomtown Rats, Thin Lizzy, or about any other band you care to mention ..... :rolleyes:

And everybody knows Thin Lizzy are the best Irish band of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

As a former Star of Heaven, I can't believe we got two votes, thank you......and anyway, it's The Blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

U2

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Without his effects pedals The Edge would be working in a factory somewhere.
    Lemming wrote:
    Ironically, neither would U2, Van Morrison, The Boomtown Rats, Thin Lizzy, or about any other band you care to mention .....

That's the point I was making when I originally replied to MrJoeSoap's post above but thanks anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement