Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Studio Ghibli film announced

Options
  • 14-12-2005 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

ged_poster01.jpg

Gedo Senki: Tales from Earthsea.

Adapted from Ursula K. Leguin's Earthsea Cycle of which I am completely unfamiliar of.

It's set for a Japanese release in July 2006, which I thought was pretty quick. Suppose they've been working on it for quite some time now. Expect it here late 2007. :)

Interestingly the film is not going to be directed by Hayao Miyazaki, but his son Goro. Furthermore, it is apperant that Miyazaki-san is very much opposed to the idea of his son "following in his footsteps", so to speak.

Should all be revealed come next summer. Ghibli have a great track record, so who knows? Perhaps it's a personal thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Nice, I shall be looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Ah I read the Earthsea books when I was young - loved them :)

Will be really looking forward to this

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Wow. looks like the SciFi channel already tried to make this into a movie and mucked it up royally.

Looks like studio Ghibli's website has been hammered offline since making that announcement. Be a good idea to invest in some good hardware ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Yay, another studio Ghibli film, no doubt featuring 'coming of age' themes and a young girl/boy overcoming adversity. All their films are the same, they're the Disney of anime.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yes.. a character overcoming diversity... isn't that pretty much any film ever made?

I bet it will feature lots of flying though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Yes.. a character overcoming diversity... isn't that pretty much any film ever made?

No. In terms of anime specifically, is Cowboy Bebop about anyone overcoming adversity?, Hellsing?, Ghost In The Shell?... No, they're not and the list goes on. All of Studio Ghibli's films are twee to the point of nausea, I give a film credit where credit is due but I really don't see the fuss with their films.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Laguna wrote:
    No. In terms of anime specifically, is Cowboy Bebop about anyone overcoming adversity?, Hellsing?, Ghost In The Shell?... No, they're not and the list goes on. All of Studio Ghibli's films are twee to the point of nausea, I give a film credit where credit is due but I really don't see the fuss with their films.
    Why in terms of anime specifically?

It's just another medium of entertainment.

I think you'll find that one of the basic elements of anything that has a plot is "a character overcoming adversity". In Cowboy Bebop it's Spike coming to terms with his past, in Hellsing it's Ceras dealing with becoming a vampire and in Ghost in the Shell it's society dealing with the breakdown of what defines us as human beings (which we see from the Majors point of view).

Some of the fuss with their films is, in no particular order:
    • the epic muscial scores
    • the fantastical worlds created by Hayao Miyazaki
    • the human story
    • the engaging characters
    • the generally superb level of production value

Personally, I blame the Iliad. Ever since that was written everything else has been a rehash of it

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Laguna wrote:
    All of Studio Ghibli's films are twee to the point of nausea...

Shouldn't that be to the point of Nausicaa.... :D

p.s. Yaaay!! New Ghibli - that's just fantastic news!!!!

http://www.ghibli.jp/

Have y'all seen the website - seriously impressive (but simple) first page when viewed on a 26" monitor!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

CuLT wrote:
    Some of the fuss with their films is, in no particular order:
    • the epic muscial scores
    • the fantastical worlds created by Hayao Miyazaki
    • the human story
    • the engaging characters
    • the generally superb level of production value
    • The incredible ability to develop rich characters in such short running time
    • Making good, or wholly virtuous characters interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

Well said, CuLT.

I've read the first book in that series (A Wizard of Earthsea) recently and absolutely loved it. I wonder if the characters are going to be black/dark skinned, as all the main ones are in the book. Seemingly not judging from that picture. Nonetheless Ghibli will make a beautiful job of it I'm sure.

Ah not that this is based on the book Tales of Earthsea, pitty they didnt go with the wizard series - really liked it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Art_Wolf wrote:
    Ah I read the Earthsea books when I was young - loved them :)

Will be really looking forward to this
    Would there be any shops around dublin that have these books? Or are they the kind that are hard to get your hands on.

I usually like to read the book of something beofre it comes out.

Well the wizard series is in the library - Raheny iirc. The Tales of Earthsea Im not so certain :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

I'll have to have a look around town then.

I'd say you should be able to find it.

I've never read it myself, but I have heard of it... so it's fairly well known.

Easons actually have a very large fantasy section. If not there then Hoggis Figgis or Waterstones on Dawson street have large sections too.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Easons actually has a crap fantasy section - it appears to be big but only carries the very very mainstream stuff. Go to HF, Chapters, or better yet any Waterstones - they seem to carry the most Fantasy/Sci-Fi books around Dublin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

Interesting. I like that dragon, that's a nice poster, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

This is good news...

It will be interesting to see if Miyazaki's son takes the storylines in another direction...

Advertisement