Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Sat

Options
  • 14-12-2005 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I might very well be interested in getting some French TV for the family. Canal+ I suppose would be the main one.

What would be involved in getting this at home?

I presume my Sky Digital disk will be point in the wrong direction so I will need a 2nd dish.

I will also need a decoder and card with a subscription. Are these hard to source?

My GF has family in France, should we just sign up there as if we lived there and then bring the kit over and get it installed?

MrP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Plenty FTA, no card needed.

Yes you need a 2nd Dish. Add extra 100Euro for a motor worth it.
    5W has France 2, 3 ,4, 5. LCP, Arte Francais all TFA Digital
    On hotbird there is TFJ, TV5, TV5 Europe FTA and other french, perhaps Arte. Arte is on Astra 19E.
    TV MtBlanc is on Astra or Hotbird
    Eutelsat W3A @ 7E has "M6 Suisse" 11262 H SR 27500 in French.

Nile TV does French, English, Arabic, Hebrew on 13E

See http://www.lyngsat.com/ab3.html
    http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html
    http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.html

These list the language. Pale Yellow are FTA.

You can also get Secam Analog FTA inc France1 and M6 on 5W. On a PAL TV set it is B&W. On PC card it is colour. Tompson TVs do PAL and Secam.

Note that only the SCART of any french bought receiver will work. The RF standard in Ireland, Cyprus, UK and South Africa is different to the rest of the PAL world.

The RF out will NOT work, except to a SECAM or European PAL TV.

The Digital French do not use SECAM. It will be received as PAL on a normal receiver
    Yes Canal+ is main Pay TV or else ABSat. If you pay extra for receiver you can get one with a slot or CAM and card later if FTA not enough.

Go for 80cm dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

MrPudding wrote:
    Hi all,

I might very well be interested in getting some French TV for the family. Canal+ I suppose would be the main one.

TPS is a more affordable and accesssible alternative than Canal+ IMO.
    Absat is useless. only has about a dozen channels.

check it out before deciding as you're going to have some expense either way.

No. a sky dish won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Cheers for the reply Watty.

I think I would only go for a digital service. I reckon Canal+ would be the most like candidate. If I do go for it I will be fine paying a subscription. Do you think it would be possible to sign up in france and just bring the gear over? People order Sky in the UK and them bring the kit to France and spain.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd go for TPS, personally - cards for this are easy enough to get online, and I believe they have very few restrictions on getting one if you're getting one through France.

Canal+ cards are also available from most of the card resellers, so I'd guess theres similar ease of picking one up.

I've no idea what either of them does for boxes, I don't know if they have specific crippled boxes like Sky have, or if its CAM time.

I would definately considering seeing can you cope with the freebie channels first though, as (kinda like the BBC and ITV being free in the UK), they're relatively high quality compared to the other stuff. Only problem is that TF1 is only free if you have an extremely expensive and complex digital receiver, or in analogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I bought my Sony TV in Ireland and brought it to France with me.
    It works fine over here.
    I have the TV set up as follows Language=English County=France System=L This gets me Secam in colour on RF. If you have similar options on your TV you may well be OK.

As for the TPS sub they usually expect a "prelevement" ie a direct debit on a French bank. Other than that you should have no grief.

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote:
    Cheers for the reply Watty.

I think I would only go for a digital service. I reckon Canal+ would be the most like candidate. If I do go for it I will be fine paying a subscription. Do you think it would be possible to sign up in france and just bring the gear over? People order Sky in the UK and them bring the kit to France and spain.

MrP

It's not like SKY. they have a unique way of doing things. It's called NDS Videoguard.
    Only Sky boxes work Sky cards (well in theory).
    we cannot discuss this aspect further. off limits.

No need to bring the French hardware stuff over.
    All you need is the card.
    You can get a dish and reciever in Ireland.

Pal wrote:
    It's not like SKY. they have a unique way of doing things. It's called NDS Videoguard.
    Only Sky boxes work Sky cards (well in theory).
    we cannot discuss this aspect further. off limits.

No need to bring the French hardware stuff over.
    All you need is the card.
    You can get a dish and reciever in Ireland.
    OK. I was kind of hoping that Canal+ or whoever would do similar things to SKY. For example, you sign up for a year and get a free receiver and dish. We would sign up under my GF’s parents address but instead of getting it installed there we would bring the gear over here and get it installed. I though this would be cheaper than buying generic gear here and just sticking the card in. Either way I fully intend to sign up for and get a legitimate subscription.

Do Canal+ not do deals like this? How much would the gear cost me all in should I buy it here?

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    OK. I was kind of hoping that Canal+ or whoever would do similar things to SKY. For example, you sign up for a year and get a free receiver and dish. We would sign up under my GF’s parents address but instead of getting it installed there we would bring the gear over here and get it installed. I though this would be cheaper than buying generic gear here and just sticking the card in. Either way I fully intend to sign up for and get a legitimate subscription.

Do Canal+ not do deals like this? How much would the gear cost me all in should I buy it here?

MrP

you way sounds better.
    Canal+ from an online vendor is not cheap.

I know Sky let you keep the box after 12 months.

ship it over so....

enjoy.

PS be careful with the late night stuff. 11pm Irish time it gets very naughty.:eek:

Pal wrote:
    PS be careful with the late night stuff. 11pm Irish time it gets very naughty.:eek:

Hmmm, in that case maybe I'll forget about it :D

MrP

Hagar,

Do you know how much it costs to get Digital Sat in France from a retailer?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I just got the latest TPS brochure so I scan the relevent pages and put them up in a few minutes.

Basically there are 4 packages priced at €11, €20, €28.50 and €35.50.

To sign up you need a RIB ( bank details your French conatct will know about this), a piece of ID and proof of address. Pretty standard stuff.

If you want their decoder there is a €75 refundable deposit plus €8 per month rental. I think you can use the card in your own decoder. There seems to be a once off fee €40 sign up fee if my French is correct. Also they supply dish but not installation. If you don't need the dish they give you a €40 credit against decoder rental or service. You could probably set it off against the sign up fee, I think. There is a 3 month no commitment trial on offer at the moment.

They also offer this service over 20gig ADSL which is readily available here. I just mentioned the last bit to sicken you :D

The had no Canal+ or AbSat details in the shop but I'll try somewhere else and get them up over the next day or two.

Text might be a bit small but the TV locals are identifiable.

Packages.gif

[Img]http://members.boards.ie/hagar/Deal Details.gif[/Img]

Channels.gif

Advertisement