Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Westie swallowed earplug!

• 14-12-2005 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all
    I'll probably get flamed or bashed for not having eyes in the back of my head but this morning my mischief of a 5 month old managed to grab a small natural wax earlug off my bedside locker and it was gone in a gulp as I lunged at him.
    It was about the size of your smallest fingernail and it says natural wax on the box so I'm hoping therefore non-toxic.
    Do you think it will pass safely thru? Considering he's eaten half the garden and god knows what else that I don't know about as everything goes in the mouth, or should I ring the vets?

Thanks for any advice and I promise to be even more vigilant and careful in future. BTW he's prancing about without a care in the world.
    Goffie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If it's small and rounded he will probably pass it through, just keep an eye on his poop if he strains or appears ill then take him to the vets. Just to give yourself piece of mind no harm in phoning the vets for some reassurance. Puppies are little hoovers no matter how tidy and careful you are they can find stuff to eat and swallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If it's natural wax, I'd guess it'd naturally soften under the dog's body heat, and something like an earplug will be small enough and of a shape that woudn't cause any problems.

It's when they eat something hard and awkwardly shaped, or something that swells up when it gets moist that the troubles start, believe me! We once had a cat that chewed up and ate one of those pads you get in the bottom of pre-packaged meat containers to soak up the moisture :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Puppies (and dogs) are remarkably resilient when they swallow stuff...

I had a Collie who once swallowed (after chewing, as they usually do) an whole box of crayons, the big "school" type ones...

The passing, when it came, was...CREATIVE :D

Don't worry...seems to me a wax earplug isn't even a full sized blip in the tummy of a puppy...even full size headphones are probably only cause for mild concern...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

He's still bounding around full of beans (and an earplug). Ate his lunch no prob and nothing resembling same has..er..emerged yet.
    Thanks for the reassurance. It's like having a toddler around - if I can't see him and he's qiuet he's usually up to no good! I don't want to turn into an over-anxious owner who keeps ringing the vet so it's great to get feedback here.
    If anything untoward happens I'll let you know.
    Thanks again!
    Goffie

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

my dog recently ate a lolly pop stick off a choc ice whole, i rang the vets and she told me to just keep an eye on her and she if she passes it herself.
    she also told me to give her the stuff that gives you the runs, can't remember the name of it, liquid parfin or something, could be wrong. eventually she passed it and was grand so i wuoldn't worry too much about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

:D Well, all's well and still no sign of missing earplug!
    Maybe it got digested cos it's natural???
    I'm just relieved he's ok - if there was a blockage I'm sure it would have manifested itself by now.
    Whew, now if we can just get thru Christmas without him eating the tree...
    Goffie

Advertisement