Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

disk partitioning question

• 14-12-2005 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    I have a Dell dimension and i need to create 4 partitions on it so i can load up 4 diff language versions of XP PRO on it, How do i specify what OS is to start up first, Is the system clever enough to detect 4 operating systems and give me a choice of the one i want to start up or is there a default partition for start up, if so how do i pick and choose the OS to start?

any feedback would appreciated
    cheers
    dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

yeah xp pro will give you a boot menu when it detects more operating systems on it. either that or you could get a copy of boot magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

haven't had much use of it, but would language bar in xp not be enough, or would all the programs you install default to one language? It would save a hell of a lot of hassel if it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Gideon wrote:
    haven't had much use of it, but would language bar in xp not be enough, or would all the programs you install default to one language? It would save a hell of a lot of hassel if it did.

Our software now defaults to whatever language the OS is, we need to test a few languages, if i could do it through the language bar it would be a gift, but i think if theres more than 1 OS and a boot menu is provided that should be grand,

thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

The language bar only switches between keyboard layouts.

Windows XP cannot have multiple languages installed (I wonder why though :confused: )

You have to install a Windows first, then a second on the second partition and so on. It will enter itself in the file c:\boot.ini which defines which OS starts first, what's shown as menu entry on the screen and how long the boot loader should wait until it boots the default, which you can also define in that file.

You would require something like Partition Magic from PowerQuest to partition your drive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You don't need 4 partitions.

You install windows in 4 different folders. eg: Windows.IT This becomes %windir%

Most foreign language versions of windows use a different name for "program files" eg: C:\Programmi" for Italian

See also
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
    "ProgramFilesDir"="C:\\Program Files"
    "CommonFilesDir"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files"
    "MediaPath"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Media"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3BEN-US%3B178625
    INFO: Locating Program Files on Localized Versions of Windows
    In German Windows 95, Program Files is "Programme"

We’re sorry, but there is no Microsoft.com Web page that matches your entry. - hate it when they remove useful information.

It might also be possible to edit the inf files prior to install.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the pointers lads, i've got all my various OS' setup now, When i start the machine up it gives me a list of operating systems to choose from, does anyone know how i can edit the names in the list of operating systems??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

in the boot.ini on C:\ drive probally have to turn set folders to allow you to view system files.

Or you can just right click My Computer>advanced>Start up and recovery settings>edit

Then just replace the name in between the " "

got it, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭micosavo

Another option would be to only install on copy of XP. Get it the way you want and install VMware. This creates virtual copies of many OS's stored on your hard-disk. Bad news is it chews RAM, so you need plenty of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

micosavo wrote:
    Another option would be to only install on copy of XP. Get it the way you want and install VMware. This creates virtual copies of many OS's stored on your hard-disk. Bad news is it chews RAM, so you need plenty of it.
    More bad bews VMware also needs a license. In addition to all the licenses of the OS's used.
    http://www.vmware.com/request_processor?nextPage=/vmwarestore/newstore/category.jsp&action=CATALOG.GETGROUPS&application=store&ProductGroupCodes=EXT-STORE-WKST-WIN,EXT-STORE-WKST-LX
    VMware Workstation 5 (for Windows Operating Systems)
    Electronic Download Distribution 5 Quick Buy $ 189.00

30 day eval.
    http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/eval.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

HomunQlus wrote:
    Windows XP cannot have multiple languages installed (I wonder why though :confused: )

Not so, but its not availble in the regular retail channel:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/muifaq.mspx

Advertisement