Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Changing to XP pro

• 14-12-2005 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I currently have dual boot at home, 98 and 2000 prof (98 for internet). Now have licenced xp pro from work for home, should I change to one complete xp? your views please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Windows XP is the current standard. You should change to it. Alone because of security reasons.

Also, Windows 98 is no longer supported, Windows 2000 support will end when Vista comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Win 98 is from you guessed it 1998... nearly 10 years ago. I'm still astonished when I hear people still use it (and shocked when I run into the occasional win 95 user).

It's unsecure and full of bugs, plus as said above there is no for support any modern hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

TheDriver wrote:
    Hi
    I currently have dual boot at home, 98 and 2000 prof (98 for internet). Now have licenced xp pro from work for home, should I change to one complete xp? your views please?

Agree with the replies so far, BUT it depends on your PC... If its an old PC with a small amount of memory, < 512Mb, and < P4, then don't bother. Once you install XP with SP2 you're going to need all the memory you can get. I know you can install XP with SP2 on a PC with 256Mb RAM (less even if your patient enough!!!) and a P3 say, but your not going to fully enjoy the experience... If you install XP without SP2, then you're leaving yourself open security wise...

decisions decisions...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thanks folks, I have 3Ggz P4 with HT (which can't use coz of no XP) and 512 RAM so should be grand, will give it a try over the Christmas as must get rid of a few partitions and back up some stuff on hd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Wouldnt Windows 95, 98, NT3.1, NT4 and soon Windows 2000 (when its support be terminated) be considered Abandonware and free to use with out a legit licence? I know that there is a special serial number that will allow the installation of any copy of Win95, NT3.1 or NT4, sort of like a universal one.

And wouldnt Office95, 98 and maybe 2000 also be considered abandonware and as a result free to use without a proper licence.

Oh and wasn't there some provision made to US copyright law that means that any copyrighted software, that cannot be legaly obtained anymore such as Windows 2000 which is not available to buy anymore can be used without a licence, for example people downloading old Mario ROMS that cannot be bought anymore.

complete bollocks - abandonware is still copyright and due to provisions on the mickey mouse act some portions of 2000 may not be available until 2100 - microsoft have also removed DOWNGRADE rights on many retail packages to FORCE users to upgrade

* Warning *
    I'm in banning mode for people who try to justify breaking microsoft copyright.
    If you want to post a link make sure it's from microsoft.com.
    The licenses are overpriced and ingeniously restricitve and I'm going to ram that down peoples throat, if you can't afford to buy second hand licenses on eBay then there are numerous free alternatives.

CM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Retail EULA's - http://www.microsoft.com/legal/useterms/default.aspx

Note OEM licenses have even less rights and Corporate / volume licenses tend to have better downgrade rights.

Advertisement