Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other halves!

Options
  • 14-12-2005 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Out of curiosity.

How many of the men here have actually taken the time to encourage their other halves & daughters, to come to the ranges and take part in the shooting sports?
    What reactions did you get?
    Or did you even bother?
    How did you promote it to them?
    Did you make it sound like something they could do and enjoy or did you dull it down a bit so that it sounded more like a boys club deal and they wouldn't like it?

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

LB6 wrote:
    Out of curiosity.
    How many of the men here have actually taken the time to encourage their other halves & daughters, to come to the ranges and take part in the shooting sports?
    *raises hand*
    What reactions did you get?
    She was actually rather interested in it - she'd shot air rifle at a corporate outing kind of thing and was interested in seeing the real thing. The range didn't help much, mind - UCD's not exactly spectator-friendly because of its location and the temperature in there - but the 10-shot final held her interest well. The computerised scoring and the display of the scores in the final as they came in was a major plus. I guess we're not really a spectator sport unless you can easily see where the shot falls. Having seen a ten-shot finals at an international match, where they had seriously good equipment (electronic targets and cameras pointed at shooter's faces and TV screens over every shooter to display both face and score), I'd say we can improve on where we are even more. And happily, it's just money to do that.

DSCF1357.JPG

End result, she's going to Bisley with the WTSC team to help with logistics and see the British Open Championships, and she's hoping to shoot air pistol at the next match out in Wilkinstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Big Ears

On the main page this thead looks like this : Shooting Other halves! :p .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I wondered about this too.
    One day at the range I asked the question ..
    "Why don't you see if you can get your significant other involved in shooting ?"

It was met with a sharp intake of breath all around , looks of horror crossed the faces of many of my shootin buddies.

"What's wrong with that ..? " .. I exclaimed !

The reply came.... "For feck sake :eek:, this is the only place we get any peace at all, and besides ... If she knew how much the stuff in my gun safe cost I'd be divorced on the spot"

Not a PC answer , but it is a point of view with considerable logic behind it..;)

Ouch. That, and the average age of a firearms licence holder in Ireland (49) says a lot of bad things about the state of the sport :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Alays told mine that I was a hunter and pro gun first,and that I was not for changing.So my better half knew what she was getting into.It did help that her father and brother were a hunter and 10metre air rifle man.Got her to shoot my 22 rifle,but not shotgun as I dont have any light 20 gauges and she is of a small statue.When we were in the States she really took to my Glock and range target shooting.And I think she wnted to learn it as well for self defence as we were living in a less than salabourious neighbourhood.
    She accepts now that I will hunt and wont be swayed by the "ahh but they are cuddly"....arguement.
    Best advice I can give for thos wo have anti gun women.Is decide is she worth you giving up somthing that is part of you?You are who you are,you have to accept each others faults as well as good bits.Unless SHE is willing to give up somthing that is part of her and annoys you,it wont work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

I love women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Nema

"What's wrong with that ..? " .. I exclaimed !

The reply came.... "For feck sake :eek:, this is the only place we get any peace at all, and besides ... If she knew how much the stuff in my gun safe cost I'd be divorced on the spot"

[/QUOTE]

Lol thats so true, If my miss's knew i spended over 20k on FireArms and Items she would kill me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Invited a girlfriend, who was a South African, out shooting.... she had one luck at my .22's and laughed saying back home only girls used them :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

popped down to a local clay pigon shoot to see a few friends..
    overheard a woman talking to a man complaining that the shotgun was to heavy and she wondered i she chould get a shorter one, lighter, the man sent her off looking for a sawn-off :D:D:D

Left soon after but did'nt hear of fatalities ,when she found out
    but theres a lesson in that ??

He'll probably learn the lesson next time he wants to go spend a lot of their money on something for his shooting (as opposed to their shooting) scout...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I would love if more women were into shooting then they wouldn't think I'm such a nutter when I tell them I enjoy it

"If she knew how much the stuff in my gun safe cost I'd be divorced on the spot"

Unfortunately my older brother gets this from his wife the whole time, she freaks whenever he spends money on hunting equipment and wont get him anything shooting related for xmas, bdays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

If Jimmy Choo doesn't make em, she's not interested! That said she will will always ask to see my "artwork" when I get home from a bit of target shooting!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

scout wrote:
    popped down to a local clay pigon shoot to see a few friends..
    overheard a woman talking to a man complaining that the shotgun was to heavy and she wondered i she chould get a shorter one, lighter, the man sent her off looking for a sawn-off :D:D:D

Left soon after but did'nt hear of fatalities ,when she found out
    but theres a lesson in that ??
    If this is the attitude no wonder we don't get women shooting.
    Who is to say that If she was given a lightweight low recoil 20 g that she wouldn't shoot well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

CJhaughey wrote:
    If this is the attitude no wonder we don't get women shooting.
    Who is to say that If she was given a lightweight low recoil 20 g that she wouldn't shoot well?

20g shotguns will only have lower recoil if you use lighter loads, if using the same load as a 12g the recoil can be worse especially when they are lightweight. Maybe a semi auto in 20g would suit as they are generally good for reducing recoil.

Saying this i am in no way or form implying that women are weaker and need a 20g they have every right to shoot 12g if they want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Took the mrs to the range back in the states with me to try out my Ruger P45DC 9mm. Showed her how to check to see if it was loaded, the stance and grip and then gave her the magazine with 1 round in it. She lined up like a pro and put it smack in the middle of the bullseye from 30 meters, BUT in spite of my warning to hang on the pistol and use her arms to soak up the recoil she managed to smack herself in the nose with it. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it but it only took a fraction of a second for her arm to go from fully extended to popping herself in the snoot. Needless to say, no matter how I try she won't go back to the range with me anymore:(

Lesson learnt - next time start with an air pistol or a .22!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Water pistol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

I bought my wife a Kel-Tec P-32 she sometimes carries. Her permit recently expired so I need to renew it. Its not a man-stopper but I teach that a handgun is good to at least slow down the bad guy's thought process long enough for her to get away. I swipe her little Kel-Tec from time to time and clip it (it has a pocket clip) in my pants pocket or body armor as a backup. I put Hornady hollowpoints in it so I sure it'd hurt a bit! She does'nt shoot much but is very supportive and willing to learn. I've found that those who haven't shot a lot are sometimes easier to train well.

As far as hunting, she gave me this funny quote:

If God didn't want us eating animals he would'nt have made 'em outta meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

ha classic love the quote will be stealing that

girlfriend isnt to keen on the shooting said she will go out sometime and hit targets or clays to see what its about but doesnt hassle me on it

Advertisement