Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Maintenance - Fix My Focus

Options
  • 14-12-2005 2:48pm

I bought a new foglamp for my ford focus a month ago and all my attempts to change the old one out have been in vain. I'm missing something stupid.

But this got me thinking. I don't know the first thing about getting my hands dirty and doing some of the regualar maintenance stuff like changing the oil.

I don't know where to start. Idealy I would like to get a big thick maintenance bible to teach me the basics and something more specific for the the focus.

With that in mind, could anyone recomend a good book?

Or how did you learn your way around a car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Haynes manual, I have one if you want it*

* charge may apply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yup agreed on the Haynes manual.
    You cant go wrong with one... best money youll ever spend

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JohnCleary wrote:
    Yup agreed on the Haynes manual.
    You cant go wrong with one... best money youll ever spend
    IMO Haynes manuals have become poorer over time.
    Now they are a handy reference printed on toilet paper but woe betide you should you wish to try and use it to fix something complex!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Well my one is for a 1999 Car and it has everything id ever need to do tbh... I'm no mechanic though, I just buy heaps of crap for pennies, pull them apart and try to stick them back together again, counting how many nuts/screws I have left over at the end :D

• Advertisement

IMO Haynes manuals have become poorer over time.
    Now they are a handy reference printed on toilet paper but woe betide you should you wish to try and use it to fix something complex!

.............yes very true. We have one for the 5 Series and doing the gearbox the manual is simply wrong in lots of places !

Very few alternatives though !

Thanks for the advice guys I have ordered one :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MercMad wrote:
    .............yes very true. We have one for the 5 Series and doing the gearbox the manual is simply wrong in lots of places !

Very few alternatives though !
    for BMWs you can't beat the Bentley manuals!
    Made for US cars they are still applicable to Euro cars.

for BMWs you can't beat the Bentley manuals!
    Made for US cars they are still applicable to Euro cars.

.........yes I agree. We have those too but again they dont tell me anything about the gearbox internals. Still the fault is sorted now !

Advertisement