Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the press are trying to pull apart man united

• 14-12-2005 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

the press are trying there best to pull apart manchester united and the team any other season 31 points we would normally b top have been in the past chelsea have just found a consistancy with there new manager jose. no one seems to b having a pop at arsenal they have lost there last two games to newcastle and bolton come on! and if united do end up catching chelsea which i think they will the press will on b on united side and claiming they knew fergie could do it! and they always knew the team were good enough even without keane. were still the best team in the premiership just not current champions when an other team wins the treble and 8 premierships than ill concide and say we are no longer the best. people will say thats living in the past buts its not mostly the same team so of the greats are still there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

deep breath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

chiller wrote:
    were still the best team in the premiership.

exactly....were :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

actually, liverpool would be on top with 31 points. GD counts :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

chiller wrote:
    people will say thats living in the past buts its not mostly the same team so of the greats are still there

Some of them maybe but they arent the same players as they used to be. The media are always going to pick on the biggest clubs and they dont come much bigger than Man U. they did finish bottom of their group to three very average sides remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

He's right though, the media are focusing way to much on the negative aspects of Man Utd and not enough on the fact that Man Utd are in 3rd but only by goal difference!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

kaimera wrote:
    actually, liverpool would be on top with 31 points. GD counts :)
    Exactly!

But I think it's the media trying to pull apart Alex Ferguson instead. It seems to be the popular opinion that he should leave or be sacked, and you know what the media are like when they see a bandwagon.
    I don't like him but to be fair the man has given quite a lot to Man Utd and that appears to be forgotten now.
    Man Utd are not the best team in the Premiership on current form and you can't say they still are based on past success. They are also not the most successfull club in the premiership either, but they have had their moments of glory, more then most too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Plain and simple is that United are easy pickings for Fleet Street when other sports stories are in short supply:
    *World biggest club and huge loyal fanbase
    *Glazier takeover and financial interest
    *Domination of english football for nearly 10 years coming to end
    *Knocked out of Europe
    *Best player of recent times quits in sensational fashion
    *Longest serving manager in premiership... who's next?
    *The media know they can get reactions from Sir Alex... just look at the press conference yesterday and the fact he still wont be interviewed by the BBC
    and much more no doubt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

still think they should leave the club alone and the players all its seems to be at the moment is negative comments about the whole club we drew with everton fergie should be sacked i saw the next day chelsea drew with everton should jose b sacked? idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

rahim wrote:
    They are also not the most successfull club in the premiership either, but they have had their moments of glory, more then most too.

who is the most successful club in the premiership then??? who has won more PREMIER LEAGUE titles than United??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

chiller. I'm not trying rise you or anything but could you please take a little more care with your posts. Your grammer makes reading them painful (cue me making grammer mistake).

The press have given Utd a rough time, Ferguson in particular. It's not surprising though. Whiskeyman made a lot of good points why Utd are in the spotlight these days. The major kink in Utds armor these days is Ferguson himself. He should have left two years ago when he first said he would. By staying on longer, the pressure was on him to continue his sucess and he has failed. You can say as much as you like about Chelsea being on an amazing run and no-one can catch them but the fact is, Utd aren't what they used to be. Getting knocked out of the group stage of the Champ league has nothing to do with Chelsea or Liverpool or Arsenal. They had an easy group and they finished last. Keane's departure (and his comments in the months preceding) have done a lot of damage to Ferguson's reputation too. Basically, Ferguson should have left on a high. Instead he stayed past his sell by date and the media is lapping it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

i dont care if my grammer is bad. how can u stop being good at something u have always done i believe the only thing with a sell by date is food and liquids. u can not put one on human being especially ferguson the man is a football genius

chiller wrote:
    i dont care if my grammer is bad. how can u stop being good at something u have always done i believe the only thing with a sell by date is food and liquids. u can not put one on human being especially ferguson the man is a football genius
    Humans expire, it's a fact of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I hate to bang on about this but there was top flight football before the premiership came about. Just because United have won the competition the most times since it has changed names does not signify that they are the most successful.

As for why they are being "unfairly targetted by the press". Ferguson has always used the press to his advantage, when times are bad ferguson of old would use the press to rile up oppo teams and managers and in some cases get his own team motivated. The thing about then was that they were a succesful team and a bad patch was a blip, after a couple of years a blip becomes a lean period and then a drought. I think the reason the AF has reacted so badly this time is that he recognises now that he has not got the team to challenge as he used to have, I think if this was another ploy to get his team motivated, then it has fallen flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

who is the most successful club in the premiership then??? who has won more PREMIER LEAGUE titles than United??

Ok, yeah i worded it wrong. I should have said not the most successfull club in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

chiller wrote:

Yeah you're right, it is a bit odd that you don't see Pele being snapped up bby the big clubs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

whiskeyman wrote:
    exactly....were :D
    :D Fun with grammar, does it get any better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Surely Chelsea are the best team in the premiership right now?

I think what he is trying to do is make a distinction between club and team, and while atm United might not be the best team, they are the best club cause they have won so much. That said I might be reading into it too much

PHB wrote:
    Surely Chelsea are the best team in the premiership right now?

I think what he is trying to do is make a distinction between club and team, and while atm United might not be the best team, they are the best club cause they have won so much. That said I might be reading into it too much
    Putting it that way Liverpool haven't stopped being the best club in the last 15 years :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh but don't tell him :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

just don't read the press, its mostly nonsense anyway. Pseudo-experts and has beens voicing their totally subjective opinions on matters that they usually haven't a clue about. Completely understand AF's attitude to the press, they are wholly reliant on managers and players giving interviews to keep them in a job yet all they do is make up claptrap and pick on whoever is flavour of the month. Clubs would be better off if the football reporters were restricted to commenting on matters on the pitch rather than trying to bait clubs into reacting to their "story" which gives them a new headline for tomorrow. Bunch of vultures.

end rant at footy journalism
    :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

journo's have to sell their papers somehow and fergie's reaction helps them to do this. The media have been a little over-critical but tthis shouldn't matter at all when it comes down to the football club. Fergie is being paid to manage a football so he just stop concentrating on the media and start concentrating on the football side he is in charge of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He of all people surely cant complain about anything the press does, considering he used them to his full advantage for all Uniteds good years in his much famed "mind games". The phrase "Reap what you sow" comes to mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement