Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Cinema system

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

aloleary wrote:

The Denon upscales to 1080i but has HDMI connectors (HDCP) cap of 1080p this is the res I will have coming from my HTPC graphics card ...

My budget for speakers for Ver 1.0 of my system will remain at 500 until a later date when I can add something a bit more deserving of the amp

-Alan

Ok, now I think you are going in the right direction with your priorities. I agree that the amp, the centre of any system, is most important and the one that you have chosen is a pretty darn good one. BTW, that screen does not support 1080p just 1080i or 1152i according to the spec.

For speakers for my v1.0 setup that I bought about 4-5 years ago cost me IR£250 in the old Richer Sounds and that was for 2 floor standers, 2 bookshelf and a centre. They are still running so good today that I am considering at some stage buying two new bigger floorstanders to replace my fronts, moving the current fronts to the rears and using the bookshelves as surrounds. Hence you can see how a system can be built up over time.

I just had a quick look at richersounds.ie and built up a fairly good speaker system for < €450
    TDL Studio 10 229.99
    Heybrook HBC1 79.99
    Gale Silver Monitors (Black) 89.99
    Subtotal 399.97
    Shipping 36.99
    Total € 436.96

Even cheaper if you go for all around bookshelf speakers. You could have a look at the speaker packages there too. The Monitor Audio 45 Pack at €729 is pretty good

The amp that I am looking at getting is the Yamaha RX-V2600 which seems to be very similar to your Denon apart from the "ethernet connectivity" which while it seems interesting, I prefer to keep seperate.

Just as regards "future proofing", in the future you will actually be wanting to split your amp into seperate devices. An Audio processor, a Video processor and a seperate Amplifier(s) for driving the speakers. That is the way that high end companies like Rotel are going and it certainly seems to make sense from a clarity of signal/audiophile point of view.

Splitting the system into as many components as possible makes upgrading to the latest and greatest technology all the easier. However like you say, at the end of the day it all comes down to what you can afford when the time comes to bite the bullet and buy!

L

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

I just have the Denon 3806 and IMHO it was excellent for movies and music.

Got it from Creative Audio from UK. You need to visit them before they accept order from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

maco wrote:
    I just have the Denon 3806 and IMHO it was excellent for movies and music.

Got it from Creative Audio from UK. You need to visit them before they accept order from Ireland.

Cool!
    <snip>
    Can I ask you what sort of picture quality you get when using the scaler? I mean, is there a difference between the quality of the picture on screen if you upscale a dvd for example to 720p/1080i using the amp compared to letting the screen upscale the pal signal directly?
    </snip>

Sorry, I have just realised that you said 3806 and I got mixed up between that and the 4306 that aoleary was on about. The 3806 doesn't have the scaler that I was on about according to the specsheet, but I the second part of my query still stands:

Also, are you sending everything to the screen using HDMI?

I see from a different thread that you bought the M61 from komplett.ie. How did this work out for you? I am planning on going down that route myself but for a 26" screen but what is putting me off is what happens with the warranty etc and if anything goes wrong with the screen. Can you ease my fears on such matters?

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

I am very happy with my 3806, I have my denon 2910 connected via HDMI to play my DVD disc, It also have an analog connection to my Amp, used this to play my CD. Using pure direct to play my CD blew me away.

Yes, have my Samsung 40 from komplett.ie, so far no problem so far the very very happy, havent play around with my setting yet.

Bit worried also ordering online but you see we dont have a choice here and I cannot wait anymore. I think if something wrong with the tv you have to return it at your own cost. To tell you frankly if the difference is only 250 euro I would buy it from store here, if more than I will risk it buying online and hope for the best.

Advertisement