Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing wishbone on Micra... Help!

Options
  • 14-12-2005 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I need to replace the wishbone on my Dads Micra (03). I'm going to give it a go as I consider myself competant! (Well.. no harm trying!)

Are there any special tools required apart from spanners/sockets/usual stuff (ie. jack, axel stands etc)

Is it a fairly basic bolt on/bolt off job? Do I need to remove the shock from the strut?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You will need at least a jack (not the crappy ones that come with the car!) and a set of axle stands.
    There will probably be large (20-30mm) nuts that need to be removed thereby requireing spanners or sockets in this size. You will also need a torque wrench to put them back on.
    You will probably need a balljoint separator also.
    I don't know the underside of these cars but you may also need to replace your rubber bushings. IIRC these need to be done in pairs (i.e. both sides at the same time) but I may be wrong.

After the new one goes on, you will need to get the tracking done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Ack, a balljoint seperator! Forgot about that one :(
    Looks like I have everything else needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

You may not need one though, it could be a simple pin nut instead of a tapered fit !

Ring Nissan, or better still examine the new part ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What kbannon said. Also, after you jack up the car and have it up on axle stand, put the jack under the wheel so that the suspension will have some support for when you drop the wishbone.

As for balljoints - I wouldn't be an expert but I saw a balljoint being replaced on a Renault before. The joint consisted of a ball+spindle mounted on a flat metal plate. This plate was bolted to the wishbone with two 17 mm bolts. The spindle was held in the hub carrier with a clamp. As we were replacing the joint we had to remove it from both the wishbone and the hub carrier. If you are keeping your ball joint but replacing the wishbone you might only have to unbolt the joint from the wishbone. Which wouldn't require a ball joint separator or any "persuasion".

However I could be talking Bollox or the Micra could have a completely different design of balljoint...

Ill be able to examine the part myself when i return home to do the job.
    I think I have pretty much everything covered as long as I dont get a nasty surprise, ie. balljoint

But thanks for the input, ill get an extra jack to support the suspension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

JohnCleary wrote:
    Ill be able to examine the part myself when i return home to do the job.
    I think I have pretty much everything covered as long as I dont get a nasty surprise, ie. balljoint

But thanks for the input, ill get an extra jack to support the suspension
    You only need one jack - unless you plan on crawling about under a car which is supported by a jack! I think the way to do it is - raise the car, lower car onto an axle stand, relocate jack to under wheel.

BrianD3 wrote:
    You only need one jack - unless you plan on crawling about under a car which is supported by a jack! I think the way to do it is - raise the car, lower car onto an axle stand, relocate jack to under wheel.

Yup, I got plenty of blocks for that... I trust them more than axel stands tbh!

Heres hoping that the ball joint is non-existant/not a problem

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also remember that when you jack up the car and put the axle stands in under the car, don't put the stand under the wishbone! :D

kbannon wrote:
    Also remember that when you jack up the car and put the axle stands in under the car, don't put the stand under the wishbone! :D

LOL... could ya imagine! :eek:

Advertisement