Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Mk IV chugging when coming to stop

Options
  • 14-12-2005 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hey there,

I have a 98 1.9 TDI(not red) mk IV golf. theres ~100k on the clock. Last serviced in June.

Lately its started doing this weird slight chugging when im coming to a stop like at a traffic lights etc. It feels like the type of chug that you are about to cut out but when you come to a complete stop its starts ticking over fine. It is a really annoying feeling!! I am not in the wrong gear or anything like that either so it is not as if I am actually about to cut out, it is just the few seconds after i start slowing down and just before i come to a complete stop.

It has also lost some of its kick out on the motorway and seems real lazy but i am hoping that this is just the MAF because everyone i ask seems to have had this happen. I havent had this looked at yet because the old cash flow isnt the best!

Could the two be related or causing one another?

Any help appreciated...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Are you on the clutch when it's chugging? The clutch mightn't be engaging properly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

yep, its the maf, u should be able to fix it for free by clean it, go to ukmkivs.net and do a search for maf cleaning

• Registered Users Posts: 20,070 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

maf indeed, however some people find that attempting to clean it makes it worse a new shouldnt cost a lot and can be fitted urself very easily

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

No im not on the clutch when it begins to chug.

I will try and get the MAF sorted then if it causing both problems and report back to whether it fixes both...

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Does a Tdi Golf HAVE a MAF ??

I dont think so !

Its possible you have a vacuum pipe problem. When idling pump the brakes and see if the idle stay regular !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

MercMad wrote:
    Does a Tdi Golf HAVE a MAF ??

Indeed it does and they regularly get dirty resulting in poor performance. It's a very common problem on all VW TDi's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

WEll if it is not MAF and all that stuff, have a look at your engine mounts and insure the gearbox and engine are bolted together securely.
    also have a look at the drive shafts for wear or slack.

alo, is it in any particular gear, jic it may be a gearbox bearing issue.

Advertisement