Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas cards

• 14-12-2005 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

A quick one for all you guys!
    Suffered the loss of mother early this year. This been the first Christmas without her someone has said that cause she is less than a year dead we should'nt send any Christmas cards! Anyone hear of this one before?
    We ain't done the mourning thing of been solemn for 6 months or any of that traditional stuff. Is this another one of those traditions?
    What's you ideas/opinions on the subject?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

If your familiy are all happy to send cards then never mind what other people say you shouldn't do. It's nice to send cards this time of year and, considering your sad loss, people will be touched that you thought of them and appreciate the gesture more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It was one of those traditons but quiet frankly no one I know holds it.
    My grand mother is not yest dead 2 mnths and we will be sending cards and
    gathering in her house christmas morning as was always done.
    Yes after a death in the family you will miss then all the more but getting chirstmas cards is a lovely way of seeing all the people and family how are wishing you well and being supportive at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

It just depends on how you feel. If you haven't send out the memorial cards yet, i wouldn't send out christmas cards.
    But if you haven't had the traditional sitting in for the first 6months mourning period (which is less common now anyway). I think people will accept things either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

we had a death in the family recently, and my family won't be sending Christmas cards this year! This was the first time I had heard of the tradition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Sorry about your Mum.
    If you're not up to sending cards it's seen as acceptable because there's a tradition of not sending them when there's a death in the family, but if you want to then that's fine too. May help to get you in the festive mood!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't know about the Christmas cards but we set an extra place at the table for Christmas dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

The Christmas after my dad died, I sent my Christmas cards as normal. I know my mum didn't send any that year. It's really down to how you feel yourself. I think it's an old tradition, but I think it actually helped me to carry on as normal and go out and buy my cards & send them etc. I think it would have upset me more to not send them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I'm sorry to hear your loss, my sister died in September, and yes we are not sending out Christmas cards, to be honest, I know most people will enjoy their Christmas but for us, we will make the best of it as we can, but none of us want to send out cards, we won't in reality have a happy Christmas, but we will get through, I guess it depends on how you feel, you may want to send some and it may be nice to recieve them, for me personally I don't want to send any, and even though I got a couple of cards, I hid them, because I don't really want to celebrate Christmas, my only reason to do it this year is my son and will make it as best I can for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

we did it last year.My gran died in october of last year.The family didnt send out any christmas cards last year as a result. My family saw it as a mark of respect for my gran as christmas wasnt the same last year.

Builderbrodie im sorry for your loss, i cant imagaine what it was like to loose a parent. Stay strong and you will get through the christmas period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

My mother's sister died a few years back at the begining of December and we didn't send any Christmas cards that year. I guess it depends on the family and how close to Christmas it is. Use your better judgement.

TC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

There are no rules. If you want to send cards then do. If you don’t then don’t. I remember my mam sending them the year my dad died. It’s really up to you how you feel about it. It’s not a big deal either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

my nanny died in august and i just dont get it... she would have wanted the kids to enjoy christmas as always, yet my aunts and mam dont even wanna put up a christmas tree and most of the kids are of santa ages... i just dont think its fair on them and its definetly not what my nanny would have wanted! she loved christmas and would want us to still love it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well my old man died a month and a half ago, I'm back home now and we are not sending out cards or putting up decorations. It is tradition but for us anyway it doesn't seem right, he was such a large part of Christmas for us all and he loved to put decorations up and all the crap associated with Christmas.

We will have a quiet reflective Christmas and will be spending Christmas day with my sister's Mother in-law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

MY gran loved chirstmas, she already had her cards addressed in thier envelopes and they were recently posted.
    My Mam struggled with wether to have a christmas at all in her house be we rallied arround and told her that we are her family too and we want christmas
    with her in her house as she is now the Granny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

We put up all our decorations. Mum would definatly wanted it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tigress

Its a tradition not to send cards when you loose a parent and people will not expect you to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

the christmas after my granny died, we all gathered in the house on christmas eve as per tradition, helped bring the family (all 40+ of us) together ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hottstuff

my first christmas without one of my parents also
    will not be sending christmas cards , and couldnt give a F what they think.
    do what makes you and yours comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BuilderBobie

Thanks guys for the wishes thoughts and all the comments.
    I was in two minds as to what to do.
    I was tending to send as it's not something that mother would have been into, she gave up on traditions years ago! She was one for doing what you felt and feck the be-grudgers!
    So I have sent out the cards and will be thinking of mother through the day on Christmas day.

Happy Christmas everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

First of all, very sorry to hear about your loss.

This is true .. you are not expected to send cards, and some people may not send you cards.

That is supposedly the way it goes, don't know why though. My Nana died this year, and it is the same in our family.

• Advertisement
Advertisement