Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yet another IBB thread

• 14-12-2005 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

got broad_allegedly_band last week. am using ripwave 40:1 with no installation fee, no contract. the signal strength is excellent (green near top). the signal quality is good (yellow half bar). but the speed is extreemly slow:
    (from monitoring the download progress bar in firefox and the likes) 0.1-12 kbps download, 2-5 uploading. using a net spead test I get 15-30 kbps download 7-10 upload.
    I phone IBB and the operator gave me two options:
    1)cancel the account
    2)replace the modem
    yes; all I need is a net connection. however it would be nich to have a fast one!
    the question I put to you is does it worth it to replace the modem. can this be the reason? what speeds other users have with similar systems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

From all the other threads here, I think the basic problem with IBB (Ripwave especially) is that the service is far over subscribed. That means your contention of 40:1 is always true, giving you an effective speed of 12.8kbits/s, which is exactly what you're getting.

A new modem won't help. A new ISP is about your only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 soreal

am supposed to get 512 both ways. the operator has a slip of a tongue and said that I should be getting a 65kbps. I guess what you said is true unless some user can conferm getting a better speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Some other users may indicate that they are getting better speeds but this does not mean you will. In general for IBB if you are getting bad speeds all the time the mast is overbooked and as was said before you are sharing with 40 other people. Get a decent provider at least you are not tied into a years contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

HaHa you actually ordered RIPWAVE :rolleyes:

Personally i have IBB 2Mb Breeze and ALWAYS get 240K download and 240K+ uploads.

My opinion from other ppls comments on ripwave is that it is ****e!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

soreal wrote:
    am supposed to get 512 both ways. the operator has a slip of a tongue and said that I should be getting a 65kbps. I guess what you said is true unless some user can conferm getting a better speed
    65kbps is higher than 512 you have to divide 512 by 8 to get the kbps speed = 64kbps.

• Advertisement

to be honest, am happy with my ripwave!
    u might laugh, but wait till u hear what I have to say.
    am getting 24/7 internet connection without cometments, no installation equipment/fee requered, no min period connection contract, I can terminate any time on condition that I return the modem , and no maximum band usage allowance (I downloaded more than 10 gig bits till now). and I pay 20 quid monthly for it.
    I used to pay more than that to check my mail via wab 4 a meir 10 mb for god's sake!
    the point is:I want a net access, I dont want any strings as I might leave my place any time. and I really think that this solution is at least much better than getting a time/band-usage limited dialup/bb with eircom (or sombody else) with all the hallobaloo of the installation and monthly rental , line competability etc.
    the current situation with my IBB ripwave is that am luckey enough to get nice signal. I might have quited if I didnt as it will be really a hopeless case. the speed varies from time to time . and interestingly enough from application to application. a cleaver use of torrent can really utilize the full capacity of your download speed ability. and ofcourse some patience.
    untill I find a better deal. am stikking to this.
    BTW, I dont claim to know all about the bb scene, so if any one think that I might get a better deal that suits elsewhere, am all ears.
    cheers for ur responces so far! :)
    PS. the 65kbps have been proven to be possible :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I mlooking to get Broadband into my house in Limerick City. All I want basically is the internet, to check e-mails and bank accounts and some brousing. I won't be downloading loads of music or movies or anything like that. The ripwave sounds good to me, becuase there's no strings attached, and I can quit anytime i want.

So is Ripwave a good idea for what im looking for?

let me explane something, ripwave cant/shouldnt be called broadband, even if its marketized as such. I know because I have BB at work and have an idea what it real is. ripwave is 24/7 internet access with no strings attached. if you r in an area covered by that service with a reasonable strenght signal then its ideal for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

soreal wrote:
    let me explane something, ripwave cant/shouldnt be called broadband, even if its marketized as such.

Its a WAP or Dial Up substitute that is falsely advertised as Broadband by IBB .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I suppose with IBB you get what you pay for..

Im the same as Optiplexgeyh3859whatever, I get 240k down and upload constantly.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Its a WAP or Dial Up substitute that is falsely advertised as Broadband by IBB .

IMHO, its much better than both! wap is highly over priced and shouldnt be used except in an emergency. dialup is time limited, needs a phone, line rental, etc. ripwave 40:1 is much better value than both, even if its not BB! as for the falsy advertizing by IBB, they r lossing more than gaining, on the long run, by such attitude. dump capitalists :rolleyes:

Advertisement