Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Irish entrepreneur?

Options
  • 14-12-2005 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Who's your favourite Irish entrepreneur and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Tony Ryan... surname says it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Michael O'Leary, annonying personality but when you can get a return flight to dublin for about the same price as the return fare in a taxi to the airport you have to hand it to him on changing the european air market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

o'leary-muppet ,arrogant without reason,he got very lucky,wanted to shut down airline when he joined it,just copied south western airlines in usa ,hasnt done anything really entrepreneurial and nothing outside of ryanair like other businesses
    dennis o'brien is a better entrepreneur and has made money in several businesses but i think he got very lucky with the first mobile licence,failed to pass maths in school ,heard he was a prick when at ryanair ,so much so that boeing executives wouldnt deal with ryanair if o'brien was in same room.

dermot desmond is probably my favorite

Nuttzz wrote:
    Michael O'Leary, annonying personality but when you can get a return flight to dublin for about the same price as the return fare in a taxi to the airport you have to hand it to him on changing the european air market
    O'Leary isn't an entrepreneur. He's a shrewd businessman.
    Tony Ryan is the founder (and entrepreneur) of Ryanair.
    Worth doing a bit more reading ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

geoff read - really set the ball rolling on making money from one of natures most plentyful resource!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I like what Brodie Sweeney has done with O'Brien Sandwich Bars ...he took that from scratch and well before the Cappochino culture hit Ireland.

Also like Desmonds investments, especially Daon biometrics.

Culchie wrote:
    I like what Brodie Sweeney has done with O'Brien Sandwich Bars ...he took that from scratch and well before the Cappochino culture hit Ireland.
    True, but I feel O'Bs really missed the boat on the coffee-culture that was about to explode.
    They really were in a position to grasp and maintain a dominant position but let it slip IMO.
    Perhaps the brand became too synonymous with sandwiches for it's own good.

brodie sweeney! dont make me laugh. setting up a few sandwich shops aint much to write home about compared to most international entrpreneurs,just copied every other sandwich chain in the world and got lucky with timing as many businessmen do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

well Sweeney did not just a of copy a template..it takes a hell
    of alot of vision and leadership skills to set up a chain of outlets like he
    did....not to mention the hard work.

he's a decent guy but like the previous poster you I think there is absolutely nothing about OB's that you could write home about....

The rolls and their fillings are bland and not very imaginative or very tasty for
    that matter. The seating is all cramped in most of their outlets and their idea of an imaginative side order is f"cking a few crisps on the side of your plate...Statoil make nicer sandwiches infact!

whiskeyman wrote:
    O'Leary isn't an entrepreneur. He's a shrewd businessman.
    Tony Ryan is the founder (and entrepreneur) of Ryanair.
    Worth doing a bit more reading ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrepreneurs

I think O'Leary fits into this category :p
    jetsox wrote:
    The rolls and their fillings are bland and not very imaginative or very tasty for
    that matter. The seating is all cramped in most of their outlets and their idea of an imaginative side order is f"cking a few crisps on the side of your plate

I agree, yet O'Briens are everywhere, they killed their competition in Park West in DUblin for example, Yet they have still created an international brand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

Gillian Bowler - did a super job with Budget Travel at a time when men had the run of the place !

Nuttzz wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrepreneurs

I think O'Leary fits into this category :p
    Nope. I disagree..... (and don't you know Wiki is in trouble with its definitions... ;) ).
    Despite the fact he actually won a "Entrepreneur of the year award", if you read into O'Learys history, and that of Ryanair's, you will see he is far from the true meaning of the word.
    Although I respect O'Leary (to some degree), there was a lot more people who assisted to Ryanair's success other than him that rarely get mentioned.
    I'll still stick to him as being an extremely shrewd businessman in the proper context.

fair enough, this isnt the thread for it anyway :D

I'm surprised there no Denis O'Brien fans here :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

What about the guys who started daft.ie ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fitzer12345

I'd have to agree with Whiskeyman on Tony Ryan. GPA was a great company until their attempt at a floatation. Even his ability to spot talent, its no co-incidence he hired O'Brien and O'Leary. I thinkl he also had plans for a pan-european satellite network in the late 80's before anyone was into satellites, but RTE and Telecom werent allowed invest. Imagine what kind of business that would be now.

jrey1981 wrote:
    What about the guys who started daft.ie ?

is that site making any money?? just looks like a standard classifieds site to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

defo o'leary.he is an actor but great at making money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Redmon

Sean Quinn, a man who epitomises what an entrepreneur shoudl be: shrewd, successful and not a self-publicist.

Investing in 'boring' is always the practical, as well as rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

yeah sean quinn
    I saw him driving his own car a few months ago, pretty down to earth for a billionaire, and his daughter is a hottie.
    I like JP McManus and Dermot Desmond as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Pod 78

what about the guys who started up blueface.ie the VoIP service or smart telecom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickey1979

i think they are all great to make money is a mixture of many things luck hard work willingness to avoid legality at times been risky by nature and greed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 irishunion.com

whiskeyman wrote:
    Nope. I disagree..... (and don't you know Wiki is in trouble with its definitions... ;) ).
    Despite the fact he actually won a "Entrepreneur of the year award", if you read into O'Learys history, and that of Ryanair's, you will see he is far from the true meaning of the word.
    Although I respect O'Leary (to some degree), there was a lot more people who assisted to Ryanair's success other than him that rarely get mentioned.
    I'll still stick to him as being an extremely shrewd businessman in the proper context.

If i sell you a shoe for 10 euro, i'm considered an entrepreneur,(i know you'll buy a pair) and if you ask me for the second shoe i charge you 100 euro, i'm also an entrepreneur (crook). If i sell you a brand new merc for 5 euro i'm also an entrepreneur (stupid).
    I believe wiskeyman you have to say that Tony Ryan is a better entrepreneur than David O'Leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Mansfield, look at what he has built up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Gotta say Dennis O Brien. The guy is a complete shyster. He made a fortune selling Digifone to O2, and he went on to repeat his success in the carribian. I was given a tour of O2's new headquaters today on Sir John Rogerson Quay. They have a timeline for Digifone/O2 in the reception. I have to say I was dissapointed to see that they dont have the original Brown envelope Obrien gave O'Leary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bill Finnerty

It has to be Michael O'Leary!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Mansfield, look at what he has built u

I was only talkin about him to someone today. Some eejits trashed the new airport building at weston it seems :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Brian Boru.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dubhelp

Very few of the above mentioned people are true entrepreneurs. A certain DOB had his Daddy cheque book to call upon when he got in trouble.

Dermot Desmond is a true entrepreneur and put the IFSC into Dublin, what more can an entrepreneur do. He also ahs backed a lot of people to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

whiskeyman wrote:

I believe the correct word... as thought in every Leaving Cert business class is "Intrapreneur".

My favorites - Sean Quinn & Dermot Desmond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'm going with Sean Quinn on this as well. Being a Cavan man also and a neighbour. He's one of the richest men in Ireland and UK and is still mainly down to earth. All of his family have never forgotten where they come from i mean his son still drives an old passat and he has the same range rover the past 5/6 years.

He shows what hard work, a good business sense and a bit of luck can achieve :)

Advertisement