Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deal Or No Deal

• 14-12-2005 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

[rant]

Anybody watch this? I just don't get it at all! I think there should be some degree of skill in game shows, but this is just pure luck!

For those who haven't seen it, basically there are about 20 boxes with random values in them, ranging from 1p to £250,000. You have a random box at the start which you keep for the rest of the show. You then choose at random a couple more boxes, which are opened by sickingly enthusiastic fellow cotestants, hoping to get low values so that it becomes increasingly likely that you have a high value in your starting box. After you pick a couple of boxes, the "banker" will call and offer you a sum of money to buy your box. You can say "deal" and take his offer, or "no deal" to continue playing.

Strategy on the contestants part usually comes down to "Well box number 15 was a high value yesterday, the probability is that it'll be low today". What?! The boxes are random! What was in them yesterday has no bearing whatsoever! "Box 2 had £100,000 two days in a row, chances are that it won't have it again". :confused:

Noel Edmonds is a creep! The way he stalks around the set behind the contestant, desperately trying to wrack up the tension. The way he has "A funny feeling about this" 5 times every episode. His cringeworthy puns that lead to ad breaks ("Joe, don't break our hearts by making this a high value...did I say break?!" *cue ads*) The way he tells the person opening the box to "Make sure it's a low value, don't give us anything above £50,000"...shut the **** up Noel! They have no bearing on what's in the box, it's random! :rolleyes:

Gah! Terrible show!:D

[/rant]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

That is a copy of the the French TF1 show "A prendre ou a laisser" (take it or leave it).
    It's a bit repetitive but I watch it most nights.
    The simplicity and repetition is useful to improve my French and the quality ;) of the contestants is very high.
    Top prize €500,000, sometimes a special prize of €660,000.

What Channel is it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it's on Channel 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Noel Edmonds - enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Italians have a version.

It is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

I cann't beleive C4 commissioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

it was interesting for the first 15 minutes of it when i switched on to it, but the concept begines to grate very quickly. the contestants think they're so shrewd and playing this great strategic game but they're just picking numbers.
    Oh yeah, Noel Edmonds is a kn*b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

I dont think it was too bad at first but its the same sh1t everyday and I just got fed up of it.

i like this show!then again. i like the egg heads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

the indians have a version and its cringe worthingly bad.

i just dont see the point of watching something where some1 is just picking boxes and you either get lucky or you dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Terrible, watched until that phone from 1850 started to ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

It's huge though. It's a real ratings winner for Channel Four. My parents watch it every day and I'd say there's alot more like them! But they're old so they know no better! :D

I don't like it myself though. It's just pure chance. Gambling on something which you have no influence on.
    Afternoon gameshow Deal or No Deal is shaping up to be a huge hit for Channel 4.

The series, fronted by Noel Edmonds, began strongly a month ago with 1.85 million (18%) and has been on a steady ratings increase ever since. Yesterday’s (Friday) episode put in a series high of 3.19 million – a 28.1% audience share – from 4.15pm, easily beating all competition in the slot. The show came within a whisker of topping BBC Two’s long-running quiz series The Weakest Link - shown an hour later – with 3.19 million and 20.2% share.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

God it's terrible. I hate the way people pretend to apply "strategy" it's completely RANDOM. Or that "banker" guy who comes out with stuff like "you remind me of my mother, she was a risk taker too" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Its good, I like that its pure random, chance is a laugh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I like it.
    Sure it's all about luck, but it's still interesting to watch. These people could lose thousands based on one bad decision, and they make that decision based on nothing but a gut feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It is so strange that this type of show does well. I just don't understand it.

It is like Winning Streak, why do so many people watch this load of ****?

Is it just because people want to see others WIN.

I wonder who the banker is?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Its an Endemol programme, is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Yep, Endemol. They describe it as a show with "white-knuckle tension"!

I watched it for less than 10 minutes today and I swear, condensed into just them 10 minutes, everything I hate about the show happened!

Noel had a funny feeling (actuallly, he had two). The contestant outlined his "strategic gameplan". Noel made an ad-break pun that made me wanna do a Mark David Chapman on him. The contestant completely over reacted to every offer made by the banker. Noel stalked around his prey, scaring the **** outta little kids in the process!

But yeah, apparently it gets decent viewing figures. Every single last one of them is gonna regret it if Noel Edmonds decides he wants to make a full return to TV! :(

Advertisement