Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community, County & Group Broadband Scheme. Any Ideas?

• 14-12-2005 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

(Mods: I’m not sure if here or the IrelandOffline forum is appropriate for this but move it to which ever as necessary)

Hi,
    Where I live, Broadband is unavailable through ADSL and is only available through Satellite, I myself use Skydsl and am happy but for the fact that you have to Dial-up and thus are limited to how much time you can use the thing. I have made representations to my local Minister, and he recently got back to me with news that Eircom have no intention of enabling the local exchange at least before the end of 2007 and it also states that “Due to the profile of profile of the exchange it is unlikely it will be done in the immediate future” My local community group done a survey and identified over 30 possible broadband customers and at the moment and over the next two years over 100 new houses are to be built and a lot of these people will possibly also require broadband too. I’d say an extra few would also sign up if necessary. Now a Community GBS is being mooted rather than wait umpteen years for Eircom to enable the exchange. Still imo ADSL is the best form of broadband (after FTTH of course) as FTTH isn’t available in Ireland yet, (correct me if I’m wrong) I have from their website www.gbs.gov.ie identified these areas which have got their exchanges upgraded by Eircom to ADSL through the County Group Broadband schemes:
    Approved Projects under the 1st phase of the Group Broadband
    Crosshaven Co. Cork, Dungloe Co. Donegal, Killybegs Co. Donegal, Oughterard Co. Galway, Castlecomer Co. Kilkenny, Granard Co. Longford, Rathdrum Co. Wicklow

Approved Projects to date under the 2nd Call of the Group Broadband
    Castletownbere Co. Cork, Ballinamore Co.Leitrim, Fethard Co. Tipperary.

It would be ideal if Eircom would work with the idea and upgrade the exchange, they would benefit from the funding (20%) I think and they would also have the custom. I am sure that many people would not mind paying a start up fee of about €100 to €200 to help the company in the expense of upgrading the exchange. I also personally would sign a contract for a year or two if necessary to facilitate the bringing of ADSL to my area as for other people I couldn’t really say but I guess some would. Have anybody here got any experience of doing a GBS with Eircom or even experience from working with other providers whether it be FWA or Satellite services. FWA would also work in my area and the place has a FWA mast enabled but Eircom aren’t offering any services from it. The reason I prefer ADSL is numerous, Reliable ping rates for voip, gaming etc, and from what I’ve read about Irish Broadband FWA seems to be a right cod. Also I like ADSL for the wifi products you can use for laptops etc. It is a vastly superior product imo.

Any help or suggestions would be massively appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Hi,

a couple of points on Eircom and GBS. Firstly even if you can persuade Eircom to get involved there is no guarantee that you are any other of the subscribers will get BB. It depends on distance from the exchange, the quality of the copper and the potential presence of pairgains.

Secondly ADSL does not guarantee better pings then Wireless. It depends on a number of factors and if wireless is set up properly the pings can beat those of ADSL.

Thirdly the use of wifi within your house/office etc is independent of the type of BB you have. You can set up a wifi network as easily for Wireless as for ADSL.

Therefore you may be as well off, and quicker, to talk with a WISP and see what they can offer you. There are some good players out there but you do need to choose carefully.

HTH

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

netwhizkid wrote:
    ...FWA would also work in my area and the place has a FWA mast enabled but Eircom aren’t offering any services from it...

Did eircom say this to you (by email perhaps) or is this just something you are aware of generally?

Eircom have a nationwide 3.5Ghz FWA licence and should be offering services from all their masts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

viking wrote:
    Did eircom say this to you (by email perhaps) or is this just something you are aware of generally?

Eircom have a nationwide 3.5Ghz FWA licence and should be offering services from all their masts.

Eircom stated to me by phone that it is not available, yet other Eircom employees that I know personally told it is enabled or so it says on whatever sort of internal PC system they have. I doesn't really matter anyway as the service is terribly expensive for the home user. It could be handy for Businesses & SME's though. Do anyone know how i measure my "ping" rates ? i love to know what i'm getting on my skydsl satellite system

Advertisement